No announcement yet.

Tim Bradley laughs at a possible Spence fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
    Is that a roundabout way of saying he should take the $10 mil? Or you think going up to 175 to get his ass spanked by Ward or Kovalev would be good for his career? Paying Jacobs or Lara more than they're worth ain't gonna turn him into some kind of superstar, it's just gonna leave him a few hundred $K lighter in the wallet. I'd love to see any of those fights but I don't fault other guys for not wasting their money so why would I blame GGG?

EDIT: And yeah, props to Spence, the kid's doing what he needs to do and has a promising future, but saying the two guys are in comparable situations is ridiculous.
    Come on man.

All G needs to do is say "F it. Canelo, I'll let you have whatever terms you want, let's fight because I need to beat you".

Why? Because that's what Floyd had to do in order to face and beat De La Hoya. The fight that essentially MADE him.

Once he's gotten past Canelo THEN he can start acting like an A-side fighter and demanding multi-millions. Hell, I'll stack chips that if he dominates Canelo on Canelo's terms...Mayweather books a fight against him. Guaranteed. Isn't that what he wants? A nine figure payday? Then earn it. Beat Canelo on CANELO'S TERMS. Why? because Canelo is the bigger name and always will be. Take that.

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
    Comparing the star power of GGG and Spence is laughable.

You are completely out of touch with reality. I'm sure Apple hunted for the most obscure boxer they could find to throw into an expensive air time slot.

Not sure what you're talking about. I get it, you're a G fan. You've watched every fight, you love his knockouts, you feel he's a big star. You've been hungry for a knockout fighter and it's clouded your judgment.

Let me tell you what a big star is. A big star is a guy who can walk into airports and be bumrushed by casuals who know exactly who he is.

Shannon Briggs? A big star.

Deontay Wilder? Not a big star.

Manny Pacquiao? A big star.

Zou Shiming? Not a big star.

Canelo Alvarez? A big star.

Gennady Golovkin? Not a big star. Would be mistaken for a cab driver and you know it.

Floyd Mayweather? A big star.

Errol Spence? Not a big star.

Everyone I listed up there that's not a big star, it's because they've not beaten the big stars. It's simple math, dude. To be the man - WOO - you gotta beat the man.

Golovkin is avoiding the man (Canelo) because of money when he doesn't deserve more than he's being offered yet - he's not a draw outside of boxing, he's not going to pull new money. He's a B-side fighter unless he faces bums. He will always be a B-side fighter going against opposition like Jacobs, Eubank, Saunders, Canelo, etc. If he goes up in weight he will always be the B-side fighter. That's fine. He needs to accept that, and beat/knockout the top A-sides so HE can become the A-side.

Errol Spence has repeatedly called out the man (Danny Garcia). Spence accepts he's the B-side and needs to beat a big name - he knows the money will show up once he's knocked out enough big names. He knows he's not drawing on his own, he needs draw fights to get people to see how good he is. That's how it's supposed to be done. Know your place.

That's the difference. Golovkin is a B-side fighter in a field full of A-side fighters and he or his squad is fooling him into thinking he's worth more than he is. He's not. Not until he beats a big name. That may mean accepting crappy terms for now until he becomes a draw on his own. Draw of NEW fans.

Comment

Originally posted by revelated View Post
      Come on man.

All G needs to do is say "F it. Canelo, I'll let you have whatever terms you want, let's fight because I need to beat you".

Why? Because that's what Floyd had to do in order to face and beat De La Hoya. The fight that essentially MADE him.

Once he's gotten past Canelo THEN he can start acting like an A-side fighter and demanding multi-millions. Hell, I'll stack chips that if he dominates Canelo on Canelo's terms...Mayweather books a fight against him. Guaranteed. Isn't that what he wants? A nine figure payday? Then earn it. Beat Canelo on CANELO'S TERMS. Why? because Canelo is the bigger name and always will be. Take that.
      Take what? I've said on numerous occasions that I think Golovkin would be better off taking the $10 mil if he's unable to negotiate a better deal. At the very least call Oscars bluff and see if they're serious. However this in no way means that Golovkin shouldn't at least try to get a better deal first.

Problem here, for Golovkin is that beating Canelo may well not make him into a PPV star. I don't think 20 million Mexicans are suddenly gonna start tuning in to watch a Kazakh on Cinco de Mayo. TBH I think it's possible that at this point nothing Golovkin can do will make him much bigger than he already is. Certainly it's likely that his handlers may be approaching his career with that mindset, which would mean maximising each and every purse rather than taking a hit to invest in the future. Guy's coming towards the end of his career and is unlikely to ever get a payday like Canelo again.

Comment

Originally posted by aldo5408 View Post
        Lol says no payday no belt. Spence is probably a more popular fighter right now then Tim will ever be. I can sense the envy. It probably comes down to Tim's woman boss won't allow him to fight a fighter like Spence
        Spence will get the chance to fight for that soon to be vacated IBF title so there could be a title on the line If they can find a way to get Bradley ahead of the rest that are on the IBF rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          Take what? I've said on numerous occasions that I think Golovkin would be better off taking the $10 mil if he's unable to negotiate a better deal. At the very least call Oscars bluff and see if they're serious. However this in no way means that Golovkin shouldn't at least try to get a better deal first.

Problem here, for Golovkin is that beating Canelo may well not make him into a PPV star. I don't think 20 million Mexicans are suddenly gonna start tuning in to watch a Kazakh on Cinco de Mayo. TBH I think it's possible that at this point nothing Golovkin can do will make him much bigger than he already is. Certainly it's likely that his handlers may be approaching his career with that mindset, which would mean maximising each and every purse rather than taking a hit to invest in the future. Guy's coming towards the end of his career and is unlikely to ever get a payday like Canelo again.
          History has told us that fans will back their guy UNLESS their guy doesn't show up.

Hatton had the whole house chanting for him until he got embarrassed by TBE. Those chants weren't nearly as loud against Manny and I promise you, many of those fans bought MayPac because of Mayweather.

Manny's fans have been switching the pooch ever since he got beat by Bradley. His numbers have been dwindling, and the Marquez KO didn't help. His poor performance against TBE sealed the deal.

Passing the torch has always been a thing in boxing. Fans move to the next big thing. It happened with Holmes over Ali, it happened with Lewis over Holyfield, it happened with Camacho over Leonard.

The only fighter Golovkin's faced that people thought might have a chance was a career welterweight. That's a damn shame.

G needs to either go up in weight or face Canelo. It WILL make him a big name, if for no other reason than exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by Red-Cyclone View Post
            Spence will get the chance to fight for that soon to be vacated IBF title so there could be a title on the line If they can find a way to get Bradley ahead of the rest that are on the IBF rankings.
            Who do you think Bradley ends up fighting? I think Vargas

Comment

Lol says no payday no belt. Spence is probably a more popular fighter right now then Tim will ever be. I can sense the envy. It probably comes down to Tim's woman boss won't allow him to fight a fighter like Spence
              Spence who?

Comment

Originally posted by Hewito View Post
                Spence who?
                Errol Spence Usa Olympian

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
                  Should just come out and say it. "Top Rank won't allow it"
                  This.

Timmy fights in the small pool of TR guys only.

Comment

Errol Spence Usa Olympian
                    I know who he is,my question is,what makes you think he is more popular than tim bradley?just the exposure he got with pac and marquez errol is wayyyyyyyy behind him..C'mon man.

Comment

Originally posted by Hewito View Post
                      I know who he is,my question is,what makes you think he is more popular than tim bradley?just the exposure he got with pac and marquez errol is wayyyyyyyy behind him..C'mon man.
                      So this a popularity contest?

Comment

Working...
                      X