Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Joe Calzaghe- one of the greatest of all time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

he took on all comers? you do realize this is the guy who said he was scared of flying and thats why he couldn't fight certain guys, this is the guy that pulled out of multiple fights because he was scared according to his own promoter, this is the guy that signed to fight glen johnson many times and had to pay him if calzaghe pulled out...and he pulled out! this is the guy that turned down a huge offer from pavlik, this is the guy that refused to rematch reid and hopkins in controversial fights, and this is the guy that didn't fight any of the top guys until 9 years after he became a champ.

this is also the guy who said "i only want easy fights"

this doesn't sound like he takes on all comers at all...
    Last edited by daggum; 10-19-2016, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
      he took on all comers? you do realize this is the guy who said he was scared of flying and thats why he couldn't fight certain guys, this is the guy that pulled out of multiple fights because he was scared according to his own promoter, this is the guy that signed to fight glen johnson many times and had to pay him if calzaghe pulled out...and he pulled out! this is the guy that turned down a huge offer from pavlik, this is the guy that refused to rematch reid and hopkins in controversial fights, and this is the guy that didn't fight any of the top guys until 9 years after he became a champ.

this doesn't sound like he takes on all comers at all.
      joe was plagues by hand issues. He certainly didnt duck anyone. If he was a ducker, he wouldnt have fought lacy (seen as the next coming of mike tyson at the time). He fought prime kessler. And when he fought hopkins and roy jones, joe was no spring chicken himself which gets overlooked

Comment

Calzaghe is like Floyd -- never beat a great opponent in his prime, his own size. I'm more impressed by Floyd, but still -- boxing is a combat sport. You should be able to hurt the other guy. So I'm not going to give top credit to fighters that aren't really fighting, or who are just winning with style points.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
          joe was plagues by hand issues. He certainly didnt duck anyone. If he was a ducker, he wouldnt have fought lacy (seen as the next coming of mike tyson at the time). He fought prime kessler. And when he fought hopkins and roy jones, joe was no spring chicken himself which gets overlooked
          ok but i just listed a bunch of times he ducked people so how can you say he wasn't a ducker? because he took a couple risks at the end of his career when he was ready to quit boxing? how does that excuse not doing anything for ten years?

Comment

JC hasn't got the fanboys supportuing him like they have Floyd or PAC.

JCS wiun over BH was magnificent. Yes it was close and BH past prime but it was America. JC always found a way to win.

JC is an atg. Not necessarily resume but ability

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
              Calzaghe is like Floyd -- never beat a great opponent in his prime, his own size. I'm more impressed by Floyd, but still -- boxing is a combat sport. You should be able to hurt the other guy. So I'm not going to give top credit to fighters that aren't really fighting, or who are just winning with style points.
              calzaghe had no style points. waving your arms back and forth is not punching. just read the rules. a punch has a forward and back motion, not a side to side motion. you are not allowed to hit with the inside of the glove which is what he did to generate his "hand speed" its because he wouldn't pull the punch back he just went side to side. so much easier to generate speed that way but unfortunately its not legal. his real hand speed on straight punches was quite slow.

his only good wins were kessler who was very good and lacy who has a worse resume than berto. obv he lost to hopkins as hopkins landed all the clean punches.

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                ok but i just listed a bunch of times he ducked people so how can you say he wasn't a ducker? because he took a couple risks at the end of his career when he was ready to quit boxing? how does that excuse not doing anything for ten years?
                trust me joe was avoided, read his autobiography many times. joe was desperate for that breakout fight when he was younger but he was seen as too risky at the time for jones etc to fight

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

JCS wiun over BH was magnificent. Yes it was close and BH past prime but it was America. JC always found a way to win.

yeh, and the thing is that joe was old too at that point. And hopkins had some great wins after that fight so there was plenty of life in him at that point.

Comment

photo Manfredo.gif

An absolute beast. I'm surprised he didn't kill anyone in the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

yeah and hbo had a calaghe-jones ppv already setup if calzaghe won...not saying that came in to play but people don't like hopkins too much so being in america didnt really matter much.

if you watched the fight only one guy was landing clean punches and it wasn't calzaghe but somehow he won it on energy or some crap like that. obv a bad decision. people complain about pac-marquez but both those guys were actually landing clean punches. hopkins was the only one landing clean shots so how is this fight even debatable.

he made calzaghe miss virtually everything(defense) and when he did get hit it was rarely clean(defense) and in the meantime he would have calzaghe walking into big flush shots(clean punches) then he would do it all over again(ring generalship) calzaghe didn't corner hopkins on the ropes for more than a second in the entire fight he was so ineffective. he kept windmilling and missing and getting turned over and over. almost every time the crowd would go crazy it was actually hopkins landing a clean shot in between calzaghe's windmill misses. it was bad. i felt bad for calzaghe like damn you can't hit him at all?

Comment

Working...
                      X