Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are GGG's opponents pricing themselves out or are they believing the GGG hype?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are GGG's opponents pricing themselves out or are they believing the GGG hype?

When I say hype I'm not talking about his skills, those are legit. I'm talking about the media hype that surrounds him.

Golovkin is the unified MW champion. He's sold out stadiums in Panama, Monte Carlo, UK, New York & L.A. One of the most successful amateur careers of all time. Olympic silver medalist.

That's an impressive list of accomplishments. He's the second biggest draw in the states (maybe third behind Pacquiao) and only behind Canelo in ratings on HBO. So when other fighters hear that they expect him to be able to pay what someone of similar statue would pay.

So not using PBC purses let's take a look at GGG's opponents purses and lesser known fighters purses:

GGG vs Geale: 750k/600k
    GGG vs Macklin: 350k/300k
    GGG vs Rubio: 900k/350k
    GGG vs Lemieux: 2mill/1.5mill [PPV]
    GGG vs Monroe Jr $1.5mil/$100K
    GGG vs Wade $2mil/$500k

Bradley vs Rios $1.9mil/$800k

Alvarado vs Provo $1.3mil/$600K

Rios vs Alvarado II $1.25mil/$650K

Ward vs Barrera $1.85 mil/$450K

Crawford vs Postol $1.3mil/$675K[PPV]

Crawford vs Lundy $1.21Mil/$150K

As Golovkin's hype has grown his opponent purses haven't, with the exception of Lemiuex which was PPV. These fighters are looking to get paid more than Mike Alvarado's opponents.
    Pricing themselves out
    77.78%
    Believing the GGG hype
    22.22%

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
    When I say hype I'm not talking about his skills, those are legit. I'm talking about the media hype that surrounds him.

Golovkin is the unified MW champion. He's sold out stadiums in Panama, Monte Carlo, UK, New York & L.A. One of the most successful amateur careers of all time. Olympic silver medalist.

That's an impressive list of accomplishments. He's the second biggest draw in the states (maybe third behind Pacquiao) and only behind Canelo in ratings on HBO. So when other fighters hear that they expect him to be able to pay what someone of similar statue would pay.

So not using PBC purses let's take a look at GGG's opponents purses and lesser known fighters purses:

GGG vs Wade $2mil/$500k

As Golovkin's hype has grown his opponent purses haven't, with the exception of Lemiuex which was PPV. These fighters are looking to get paid more than Mike Alvarado's opponents.
    Ofc that they want to be paid,i Heard one interviev with Abel where he said something like"its ok to fight mandos ,if you make deal you can fight other guys but if not its not bad either"
    I think its mix of both doe,and K2 will need to step up in some moment,Abel also said"Jacobs cant get more becouse he have nothing to loss and we have,imagine if he beat GGG he will be a player now,so he should take a risk"so why he cant take 10mln from Canelo its Alvarez who have more to lose,Abel talk with sens about others but not GGG,he confuse me.

Comment

aint nobody scared of garagolovkin they just dont wanna fight for crums wich is what his gay ass team offers.

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
        Ofc that they want to be paid,i Heard one interviev with Abel where he said something like"its ok to fight mandos ,if you make deal you can fight other guys but if not its not bad either"
        I think its mix of both doe,and K2 will need to step up in some moment,Abel also said"Jacobs cant get more becouse he have nothing to loss and we have,imagine if he beat GGG he will be a player now,so he should take a risk"so why he cant take 10mln from Canelo its Alvarez who have more to lose,Abel talk with sens about others but not GGG,he confuse me.
        Because Abel is an idiot. When they asked him about GGG turning down $10mil from Canelo, Abel said he's not a promoter he's just a trainer. But when it comes to Jacobs he's a promoter again

Comment

Because Abel is an idiot. When they asked him about GGG turning down $10mil from Canelo, Abel said he's not a promoter he's just a trainer. But when it comes to Jacobs he's a promoter again
          you can learn a lot about Abel when you will watch him talk to this guy Donte or dontay through phone is talking truth there and sometimes very reasonable things but about opponents.

Comment

I believe its a lil of both. A juice isn't worth the squeeze situation. GGG is good & doesn't pay enough to fight for how good he is. Its not really anything THAT unique in boxing. Lotsa guys have been in similar situations from Floyd to Keith Thurman to many others. The unique angle with GGG might be that he's now the #1 guy in the division, which is historically a guy people wanna fight regardless of money, & people still don't wanna fight him like you'd think they'd wanna fight him in different eras.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              I believe its a lil of both. A juice isn't worth the squeeze situation. GGG is good & doesn't pay enough to fight for how good he is. Its not really anything THAT unique in boxing. Lotsa guys have been in similar situations from Floyd to Keith Thurman to many others. The unique angle with GGG might be that he's now the #1 guy in the division, which is historically a guy people wanna fight regardless of money, & people still don't wanna fight him like you'd think they'd wanna fight him in different eras.
              I should've put the both option in there.

Comment

GGG vs Wade $2mil/$500k

The simple fact is that, as HBO continues to push the Golovkin hype, K2 continues to be allocated more money to put on Golovkin's fights; Golovkin-Wade (HBO's broadcasted doubleheader) had a payout of nearly $3m.

Other promoters aren't fools, and the managers for other fighters aren't fools either.

Why K2 never gets criticized is beyond me.

Comment

I think they do want to much as GGG is not even getting paid like that..

Comment

That depends, if pricing yourself out or believing in the hype prevents a fight from getting made, then it will be considered a duck and frowned upon, nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                    X