Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there any middleweight in history who could go toe to toe with GGG and beat him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MDPopescu
    ... I'm no Russian... tbh...

... but I can't understand just why the U.S. fighters would have been better (in the past) than the Russians, but now they just aren't... This doesn't make sense.
    Originally posted by Graz
    Interesting question. I think back in the day U.S. fighters were hungrier. They're not as motivated today. Sign of the times really and the Russians may be taking over that role today.
    Originally posted by MDPopescu
    ... Well: you say that, back then, the U.S. fighters were hungrier (!?!)... but... the Russians weren't they as hungrier as the U.S. ones ... ... based on what, tbh?...
    Originally posted by Graz View Post
    Not sure. Maybe the Russian trainers didn't have the skill set the U.S. fighters had back then. Got me.
    ... shifting from fighters to trainers... (later, maybe, from trainers to promoters... and, eventually, to advisers...)

Comment

Nobody goes toe-to-toe with him and beats him at his own game its just stupid look what happened to Hagler when he wanted to go toe-to-toe against someone he absolutely should have wanted to in Hitman Hearns, Hearns knocked him into queer street unfortunately for Hagler, GGG doesn't welt under the pressure as quickly as Hearns does.

Hagler however is the only one I give a proper chance of beating him there is no way Roy could go the full fight without getting hit so pretty much ruins Roy Jones Jr chances If he had a better chin he might have a chance but unfortunately his chin is pathetic he would get KOed under 6 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
        Golovkin kills De La Hoya. It would've been beautiful to see.

On the other hand, I can definitely see Leonard keeping himself out of harm's way enough to win a decision. NOT, however, by going "toe to toe."
        I completely disagree. When Brook stood in the centre of the ring and went toe-to-toe he was beating GGG to the punch and up at times. When GGG backed Brook to the ropes he had success.

De La Hoya is granite, he's not getting killed. You underestimate the Golden Boy.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          McCallum vs Jackson was at Jr Middleweight -- but they could have fought at SMW or even at LHW as well...
          the bodysnatcher is one damn good boxer! jackson would never beat that guy

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            ^Agreed. There's a number that could go toe to toe. Not necessarily beat him but certainly stand solid chance.
            I personally think Tommy Hearns would handle him like Roberto Duran due to stylistic reasons.
            Comparing a former lightweight 5'7'' tall with a 66'' reach with a natural middle weight 5'10.5'' tall and with a 70'' reach... Hearns wouldn't handle GGG's power. He loses like he lost to Hagler.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
              you think he could go toe to toe with GGG with his chin? honest question
              Absolutely. Greater reach, speed, and power. Tommy had a great chin as evidenced by the many heavy shots he took. Where people get confused is that it wasn't his chin that was the problem, it was his refusal to back up or clinch when hurt.
              Brook was able to get Golovkin to retreat from a combo and I don't put much value in Brook's power so I'd venture to guess Tommy and Genady aren't far apart, chin-wise. If have to see Genady fight better competition to say for sure though.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                Comparing a former lightweight 5'7'' tall with a 66'' reach with a natural middle weight 5'10.5'' tall and with a 70'' reach... Hearns wouldn't handle GGG's power. He loses like he lost to Hagler.
                Golovkin hasn't fought the type of competition to even be compared to Duran so let's take the fanboy stuff down a notch and be sensible until we've seen Genady in with some decent fighters.

Comment

Golovkin is rubbish with toe-to-toe.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                    Golovkin hasn't fought the type of competition to even be compared to Duran so let's take the fanboy stuff down a notch and be sensible until we've seen Genady in with some decent fighters.
                    Asking that guy to not be a fanboy is like asking him to get off GGG's dick, it aint happening

Comment

Originally posted by Canelo and GGG View Post
                      Roberto was smaller,and GGG can crack i think he would put Hearns to sleep,also Roberto was inside fighter GGG can Crack from distance.

James Toney could Bang with GGG,Hagler too,Mccallum,Monzon,SRR.
                      Golovkin is better than Hearns? How?

Comment

Working...
                      X