Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Bradley: Arum Taking Big Risk By Doing Independent Pay-Per-View

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
    What Bradley should be asking is "When is my next fight?" Manny is fighting the guy Bradley beat, yet Bradley is on the sidelines with a mic, and Manny and Jesse are wearing gloves! Bradley should be screaming for Garcia, Thurman, and Porter!
    I seriously doubt he minds to much at this point. Bradley has been in wars the last few years and hes in his 30's now. Doing the side gig with a mic secures a future. Besides I really only see Bradley fighting once or twice more. Hopefully he gets a shot at the WBO 154 strap when Canelo vacates and can retire afterwards.

Comment

the ppv is going to flop. He had no other option but to put it out himself because HBO told them the date they wanted wasn't available. So this wasn't brilliant move out of design. The smart play would of been to deliver a better opponent to try and change HBO's mind or change the date. Arum stubbornness is going to cost him millions. He already admitted that he LOST money on the Manny/Bradley 3 PPV which did somewhere around 400k buys. This fight will likely do HALF as many PPVs if their lucky. Only way to mitigate the loss is if they are robbing Manny and slashing his normal purse requirements. He reportedly agreed to a pay cut but I doubt he agreed to go from 20mil guarantee to say 3m. Manny requests a lot of money meaning you need to sell a ton of PPVs just to break even. More so if Top Rank is now footing all the bills without money from HBO to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx2245 View Post
        What Bradley should be asking is "When is my next fight?" Manny is fighting the guy Bradley beat, yet Bradley is on the sidelines with a mic, and Manny and Jesse are wearing gloves! Bradley should be screaming for Garcia, Thurman, and Porter!
        That's a dumb comment if you think about Maidana choosing to retire after just 2 May fights. And the money he got was peanuts compared to Bradley's 3 fights with Pac. Bradley's Marquez fight alone made him $4.1 million richer. Bradley probably has palatial homes and his wife is buying and selling houses.

What Bradley should be asking is, "Why am I still even thinking of fighting? I'm richer than any fighter not named Mayweather and Pacquiao."

What you should be asking is why are PBC fighters now only fight once a year when they're making peanuts compared to Bradley?

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
          I think a lot of people are getting rid of cable completely and just watching online.
          I've done this the last two years but I'll order a good ppv card here and there

Comment

He's not taking a big risk he just had no choice

Burn them bridges

Comment

Originally posted by paulf View Post
              How is this a risk? Top Rank is a full fledged media company. They've had the infrastructure to broadcast PPVs top-to-bottom and have been doing so for years.
              The problem isn't the infrastructure or cord cutters ect. Yes they have the know with all to produce their own TV broadcast without HBO. The problem is this fight has no public demand. They chose an opponent most fans don't know or care about. Even if HBO was producing it it wasn't going to sell much given the recent history of Manny's PPVs declining sales. So you have a fight that won't sell under best circumstances then you add additional costs because you are independently producing it as well as promoting it without HBO backing (more importantly helping to pay). I don't see any circumstance where they sell enough PPVs to come close to breaking even.
              Last edited by bigdunny1; 10-04-2016, 11:23 AM.

Comment

I don't think people are necessarily buying fewer PPVs because of technology as Bradley stated, but because they have gotten wayy more expensive while decreasing in quality. Technology is a part of it, but also the product has diminished. For this particular PPV, the undercard is very promising, but no one wants to see Pac vs. Vargas no matter how fan-friendly the fight may be. It's an irrelevant fight that many people believe Pac will win easily...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                  That's a dumb comment if you think about Maidana choosing to retire after just 2 May fights. And the money he got was peanuts compared to Bradley's 3 fights with Pac. Bradley's Marquez fight alone made him $4.1 million richer. Bradley probably has palatial homes and his wife is buying and selling houses.

What Bradley should be asking is, "Why am I still even thinking of fighting? I'm richer than any fighter not named Mayweather and Pacquiao."

What you should be asking is why are PBC fighters now only fight once a year when they're making peanuts compared to Bradley?
                  May 3, 2015:

Timothy Bradley sat behind a microphone last month unsure of what the future held. He had just lost to Manny Pacquiao for the second time in two years, and it was reasonable to wonder about Bradley's future in boxing.

But when asked whether he would fight again, the Coachella Valley boxer didn’t hesitate.

Man, I’m not done. I’m not done yet,” said Bradley, 32. “I’ll be back fighting, man. Come on. Hey, I still can fight, man. I still can fight. I got beat by a legend. So, I’ll be back. This ain’t going to stop me...”

“Ultimately, I think it boils down to me all the time, man,” Bradley responded. “You know, my wife, even though she would put her two cents in, ultimately I have to be comfortable and content with my career. Cause it’s my career, it’s not hers — it’s mine.”

“At the end of the day, when I’m content, when I’m happy, then I’ll hang up the gloves. She won’t make that decision for me.”

Bradley continued.

“My wife would never dare to make a decision like that for me,” he said. “She’d never want me to have any kind of remorse or any kind of regret or any kind of resentment towards her if something happened or something didn’t go right or she put my career to a hold, or stopped my career.

“She doesn’t want to have that...”

It now appears Bradley will step into the ring once again, provided Top Rank can set up another big fight that helps Bradley significantly pad his bank account and perhaps take one step closer to the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

“It’s all about legacy from here on out,” Bradley said at his Indio gym last month. “That’s my main focus at this point in my career.”

http://www.desertsun.com/story/sport...gain/83901298/

Comment

Originally posted by JoeMan View Post

August 19, 2016:

Timothy Bradley Jr., the former two-division world titleholder who has been in one big fight after another in recent years, has signed a two-year contract extension with his longtime promoter, Top Rank...

It's unclear whom Bradley will fight when he returns to action, but Monica Bradley said he is interested in a fight with former four-division titleholder Miguel Cotto, one of boxing's biggest stars. Cotto intends to fight in December and is in need of a viable opponent for a planned pay-per-view card. Bradley would certainly fit the bill.

"That's one of the fights Tim would like before he is done with his career," Monica Bradley said.

She also said that because Top Rank and powerful manager/adviser Al Haymon have settled a $100 million lawsuit that Top Rank filed against Haymon, Top Rank chairman Bob Arum said he and Haymon can do business together. Haymon represents several top welterweights who would make attractive dance partners for Bradley, including titleholders Keith Thurman and Danny Garcia, as well as Errol Spence Jr., Shawn Porter, Adrien Broner and Amir Khan.

"Maybe a fight with one of Haymon's fighters is also possible," Monica Bradley said. "Top Rank said it could be possible."

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...nsion-top-rank

Comment

Creating your own TV crew, announcers and producing your own shows cutting out the middle man is not a bad idea. Hell Golden Boy has already created their own streaming channel R!ngTVLive aimed at cord cutters where they 100% produce over 30 shows a year including producing and streaming Canelo's last 2 PPVs outside of HBO. I definitely could see Golden Boy expanding on that and eventually creating their own paid service outside of the normal Network and Premium Network channels. That's where the industry is going streaming your content. Top Rank just chose the wrong PPV that is going to lose money regardless.

Comment

Working...
                      X