Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Ward: What Will Kovalev Do When Being the Krusher Doesn't Work?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pain~Lucy View Post
    Mayweather fans logic = all fans who support non-black who has strong punch are *******s
    This little Pacta.rd is still stuck on bitter.

Let it go little man.

Comment

Originally posted by r1onnie2 View Post
      Don't get me wrong I am picking Ward to win but at the same time I know it's one of those fights where one punch can change things. It's boxing anything can happen. Just like when Floyd almost got slept by Mosely, if those were 8oz gloves like they were supposed to be instead of 10oz Floyd goes to sleep.

You guys just can't give this Mayweather hate schit a break huh? Both Mayweather and Mosley fought in 8 ounce gloves, this was confirmed by Dan Rafael. Mayweather had to use 10 ounce gloves against De La Hoya, Cotto, Canelo and supposedly at Ricky Hattons request. Infact during negotiations with De La Hoya and Cotto, Mayweather requested 8 ounce gloves, both Cotto and De La Hoya said no, and it would not have been allowed anyway because in Navada, the minimum weight for gloves at Jr.Middleweight is 10 ounces.

The science of boxing gloves and why Mayweather prefers smaller gloves. Lighter glove means faster punches, the 8 ounce gloves are more tightly packed, because the glove is smaller, the padding doesn't spread as easily which grants more protection for the hands (Mayweather has hand problems) and act as more of a shock absorber. The rear surface of the glove is also smaller so it does not fully cover a fighters face when they defend, which gives a quick, slick fighter like Mayweather major advantages. Because there is less padding at the fingers, and the leather is closer to the palm, it allows you to make a fist quicker, again for a speedy fighter this is a massive advantage, why? Because fast punchers try to close their fist just before the point of impact (takes away from punching power but adds to speed), the closer the fingers are to the palm the later you make a fist the faster the punch.

Most knock out punchers actually prefer the 10 ounce gloves. The surface of the glove is bigger, means the padding will have more spaces and possibly spread and/or thin out while fighting which brings the leather closer to the knockles (good for punching power, not so good for hands). Some fighters, like Kovalev, purposely do things to shift padding before a fight, which is far more difficult with smaller gloves. While overtly illegal they get bye by doing things like fist push ups, or punching a wall (ref stopped Kovalev from punching a wall in the first Pascal fight, Kovalev began doing fist push ups). Cotto has been quoted saying he likes the 10 ounce gloves because they give him more face protection. Mayweather has been quoted saying he does not like 10 ounce gloves because they ar too bulky.

These are things true boxing fans know.

Comment

Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
        He wasn't very Krusher like in his last fight, or even in the B-hop fight until very late...the thing that he does regardless is give the appearance of keeping a very active pace. I think his athleticism is underrated and it is what drives this arrtibute of looking like the more dynamic guy no matter who he is fighting. When he is not landing his shots, he stays pretty disciplined for a power puncher. He doesn't get anxious and he isn't chasing or looking for one big shot.

He always appears lively, always bouncing around, stepping in/ out..

Ward, outside of the times when he went southpaw against Brand, has looked quite static of late. He's much more flatfooted. I don't know if that is a conscience effort to be more fan friendly..and not fall in and make his fights ugly... or if he's paying for lost time in his career but that's what I've seen so far. The southpaw thing was encouraging though, especially for this fight. Anyway, both guys have a lot ot fall back on... so assuming Kovalev will collapse if he isn't Krushing isn't something I'd hope for. There are fighters like that, I don't think Sergei is one of them.

there is evidence for Kovalev having to fight "outside" of himself and still win

Finally, a real boxing critique. I would diagree with parts of your statement. Kovalev quite often reaches many of his power punches, he does it in every fight, and his last fight is a decent example of Kovalev getting frustrated. There were times he looked very sloppy. You could make an argument that he didn't take the fight serious; conversly, I can make the argument that Ward has been more flat footed so he can test his and his opponents power at 175, could also argue that he is not used to chasing people around the ring (which he wont have to do against Kovalev). Dont forget, Kovalev has been knocked down a few times in other fights for not being more disciplined with his punches, and he has been countered effectively. I think most people here are misinterpreting Ward's statement. What Ward is saying, is that he will brake Kovalev down and turn him into a one trick pony, hes not saying Kovalev will quit or collapse, he saying he will give Kovalev no recorse but to chase a knock out causing him to make mistakes. This is no different than Kovalev saying he will knock Ward out, both fighters are going to play to their respective strengths.

Although I think Kovalev can win, my pick is Ward, he is the far superior boxer (superior boxer doesn't always win, Broner vs Maidana is a good example), but he also makes almost no mistakes when he fights. Kovalev has far too many moments where he reaches, drops his hands, chases, and gets ****y. These moments are catnip for Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
          This little Pacta.rd is still stuck on bitter.

Let it go little man.
          You pulling r card on me b-boy?

Comment

Originally posted by Pain~Lucy View Post
            Mayweather fans logic = all fans who support non-black who has strong punch are *******s
            yeah, lost count of how many times ive been called a ******* on here despite not ever putting one positive post about him lol

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
              I'm just anxious to see this fight.
              I'm with you on this one. Love both fighters, but someone has to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                They're too busy watching the KO's than noticing the flaws.

If Chilemba had any power Kovalev would be in our thoughts and prayers.
                LMAO

Krusher will give Ward his toughest fight EVER imo...he'll beat him or come close to it...Noone is getting blown out or stopped imo...this is a 7-5 type decision for the winner IMO
                Last edited by Mr. Philadel; 09-28-2016, 01:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KnickTillDeaTh View Post
                  You guys just can't give this Mayweather hate schit a break huh? Both Mayweather and Mosley fought in 8 ounce gloves, this was confirmed by Dan Rafael. Mayweather had to use 10 ounce gloves against De La Hoya, Cotto, Canelo and supposedly at Ricky Hattons request. Infact during negotiations with De La Hoya and Cotto, Mayweather requested 8 ounce gloves, both Cotto and De La Hoya said no, and it would not have been allowed anyway because in Navada, the minimum weight for gloves at Jr.Middleweight is 10 ounces.

The science of boxing gloves and why Mayweather prefers smaller gloves. Lighter glove means faster punches, the 8 ounce gloves are more tightly packed, because the glove is smaller, the padding doesn't spread as easily which grants more protection for the hands (Mayweather has hand problems) and act as more of a shock absorber. The rear surface of the glove is also smaller so it does not fully cover a fighters face when they defend, which gives a quick, slick fighter like Mayweather major advantages. Because there is less padding at the fingers, and the leather is closer to the palm, it allows you to make a fist quicker, again for a speedy fighter this is a massive advantage, why? Because fast punchers try to close their fist just before the point of impact (takes away from punching power but adds to speed), the closer the fingers are to the palm the later you make a fist the faster the punch.

Most knock out punchers actually prefer the 10 ounce gloves. The surface of the glove is bigger, means the padding will have more spaces and possibly spread and/or thin out while fighting which brings the leather closer to the knockles (good for punching power, not so good for hands). Some fighters, like Kovalev, purposely do things to shift padding before a fight, which is far more difficult with smaller gloves. While overtly illegal they get bye by doing things like fist push ups, or punching a wall (ref stopped Kovalev from punching a wall in the first Pascal fight, Kovalev began doing fist push ups). Cotto has been quoted saying he likes the 10 ounce gloves because they give him more face protection. Mayweather has been quoted saying he does not like 10 ounce gloves because they ar too bulky.

These are things true boxing fans know.
                  First off I don't dislike Floyd at all I'm actually a fan even though most hate him. Second in WW division there supposed to use 8oz gloves but against Mosely at Floyds request they used 10oz Grants which are pretty much a boxers glove and not a punchers glove. 10oz gloves shouldn't have been used below 154 but they were because of the person making the demand. Mosely want to use 8oz Reyes for the Floyd fight which are punchers gloves and the same ones he used when he destroyed Margarito. Floyd denied him that and made him use those pillow ass 10oz Grants which Mosely hadn't used before. So Mosely didn't get to use 8oz Reyes Gloves, he had to use 10oz Grant gloves. If like Floyd and all but if Mosely uses 8oz Reyes in that fight Floyd goes to sleep. Kudos to Floyd he knew what he was doing when he made that demand.

Now these are things true boxing fans know!

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Tom View Post
                    We have seen this before, fighters get frustrated when they are used to bashing others then start becoming punch bags themselves. They claim they have been head butted even though replays do not show such. If Ward decides to fight inside then Kovalev won't see the 10th round. People understimate Ward's brute strength, he ties you up and beats you up, you spend the fight getting tired trying to untangle yourself, he pushes you and you are off balance and tired. What's the way out? Claim you have been head butted and cant see. We have been here before, same old **** different diapers.
                    he aint overpowering Sergi on the inside

Comment

• Originally posted by r1onnie2 View Post
                      First off I don't dislike Floyd at all I'm actually a fan even though most hate him. Second in WW division there supposed to use 8oz gloves but against Mosely at Floyds request they used 10oz Grants which are pretty much a boxers glove and not a punchers glove. 10oz gloves shouldn't have been used below 154 but they were because of the person making the demand. Mosely want to use 8oz Reyes for the Floyd fight which are punchers gloves and the same ones he used when he destroyed Margarito. Floyd denied him that and made him use those pillow ass 10oz Grants which Mosely hadn't used before. So Mosely didn't get to use 8oz Reyes Gloves, he had to use 10oz Grant gloves. If like Floyd and all but if Mosely uses 8oz Reyes in that fight Floyd goes to sleep. Kudos to Floyd he knew what he was doing when he made that demand.

Now these are things true boxing fans know!
                      Sorry I didnt see this response earlier, got lost in the quotes. But just had to correct you. Dan Rafael confirmed that both Mayweather and Mosley used 8 oz gloves in their fight. I think you're confusing the fact that Mayweather made Mosley use grants with the weight of the gloves. Either way it was already confirmed that both fighters used 8oz gloves.

Comment

Working...
                      X