Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two Fights a Year Isn't Enough

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I expect most of these fighters who have been inactive to take tuneups for their come back fights. Don't know if they will get overpaid again for such fights. It's something to keep an eye on. If they do, then Haymon clearly didn't learn anything from the previous year. We can start with Danny Garcia's purse in the Vargas fight. If he's getting $700K just like in the Salka fight, then I have no words to say.

Comment

• Golovkin doing the right thing, giving the fans more fights. As usual he's doing the right thing.

Comment

• I dnt mind it, but you gotta understand the game changes once you're on the world class level. It's cool seeing prospects fight 3,4,5 maybe 6 times a year. However the damage and money they receive is far different than that at the elite level. So with that, politics come into play(bs) that I'm ok with a guy fighting 2-3 times a year. I'd prefer to see them in action more often, but what goes on behind the scenes is hardly ever shown to the public.

Plus a lot of the times these fighters get medically suspended for x amount of time so that doesn't help with them fighting more.. I wish it was as easy as just fighting more frequently, but it's not

Comment

• Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
          Golovkin doing the right thing, giving the fans more fights. As usual he's doing the right thing.
          I think he definitely keeps the consumer in mind. He fights aggressively and often. Can't ask for much more than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
            I dnt mind it, but you gotta understand the game changes once you're on the world class level. It's cool seeing prospects fight 3,4,5 maybe 6 times a year. However the damage and money they receive is far different than that at the elite level. So with that, politics come into play(bs) that I'm ok with a guy fighting 2-3 times a year. I'd prefer to see them in action more often, but what goes on behind the scenes is hardly ever shown to the public.

Plus a lot of the times these fighters get medically suspended for x amount of time so that doesn't help with them fighting more.. I wish it was as easy as just fighting more frequently, but it's not
            You know, I really don't blame the fighters for the most part. I know there are many other factors. Either way, my main point is that the consumers are not so keen on this and well, boxing ought to think about its fans now and then. Whatever the cause is, I think it's a problem.

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
              You know, I really don't blame the fighters for the most part. I know there are many other factors. Either way, my main point is that the consumers are not so keen on this and well, boxing ought to think about its fans now and then. Whatever the cause is, I think it's a problem.
              I get you and I know Floyd gets a lot of flack for this, but the trend (when i started noticing actually) was after DLH lost to Trinidad. In his prime years 26-32, he fought a total of 9 times.

2000 - twice
              2001 - twice
              2002 - once
              2003 - twice
              2004 - twice
              2005 - none

Either way, I don't think its smart for the boxers to be in the public eye as minimal as possible, yet I understand them wanting to be compensated for moving up in their careers the way boxers before them did. It sucks, might never be fixed, but maybe the trend, like you said, will continue to change. It can only benefit the sport, fans and boxers if it does

Comment

• Originally posted by hhs661 View Post
                I get you and I know Floyd gets a lot of flack for this, but the trend (when i started noticing actually) was after DLH lost to Trinidad. In his prime years 26-32, he fought a total of 9 times.

2000 - twice
                2001 - twice
                2002 - once
                2003 - twice
                2004 - twice
                2005 - none

Either way, I don't think its smart for the boxers to be in the public eye as minimal as possible, yet I understand them wanting to be compensated for moving up in their careers the way boxers before them did. It sucks, might never be fixed, but maybe the trend, like you said, will continue to change. It can only benefit the sport, fans and boxers if it does
                Oh I know. I've haven't blamed any one fighter for this. Floyd wasn't the only one and won't be the last and as you point, isn't the first. I do remember that even in the '90s, guys were fighting 3-4 times a year with regularity and no, every fight wasn't a super fight, but hey. We got more fights and careers were built up more with regular showings. In the 80s fighters were more active as well and the sport had more mainstream success. Guys nowadays who never watch boxing can tell you who Sugar Ray Leonard and Ali were, though. And sure, in some of their years, they weren't busy. But when they were coming up, they definitely more than once or twice a year and in the years where they did fight once or twice, it was usually against high level opponents, which of course, I think I think is fine. Like Carl Frampton. He faced two unbeaten champions this year, back-to-back. That's all well and good. No problem. Then take Danny Garcia- two fights a year against Guerrero and Vargas? I just don't see that as productive. If he gets Thurman next year, great, but it's a disappointing 2016 and think about if the Vargas fight gets canceled. If he faces Thurman in March of 2016, that's a 14-month layoff. Not a good idea when getting in the ring with Thurman. Well, hell, he'll be coming off a 9-month layoff himself. It's not a good trend IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
                  When fighters stay busier, they stay sharper and in better shape. Plus, the fans benefit from seeing them fight more often and of course, the high light reels go up which is always a good thing for them. Obviously, they will be making steadier money as well. I think it's all around good for the sport.
                  Exactly. Inactivity breaks momentum. Garcia, for example, is taking a tuneup fight because according to him:

"After such a long layoff, I didn't want to go straight into a big fight. We understood that it is preferrable to fight Vargas."
                  So expect others who were also inactive to do the same. Lara would take another Zaveck level fight for his come back fight, mark my word. There's Quillin, Berto, Peterson, Charlo 1, etc. It's a vicious cycle.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                    Exactly. Inactivity breaks momentum. Garcia, for example, is taking a tuneup fight because according to him:

So expect others who were also inactive to do the same. Lara would take another Zaveck level fight for his come back fight, mark my word. There's Quillin, Berto, Peterson, Charlo 1, etc. It's a vicious cycle.
                    Oh exactly, man. One hold-up after another and the fans are left shaking their heads to sit through another crappy fight. The sport can do better than this.

Comment

• So what's the verdict?

Do you feel hopeful this current pathetic situation improves in 2017? We all know that fighters on long layoff won't immediately tackle tough fights and had to take tuneup fights first .

Comment

Working...
                      X