Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was GGGs performance the blueprint for kovalev against ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
    if buts maybes, being damaged was a result of golovkin loading up on his shots
    Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
    you mean if GGG hadn't broken his face?

i mean yeah sure the fight would've definitely been different if GGG didn't punch him
    All I'm saying is, it would have been a different fight if Brook didn't suffer an injury. Orbital bone breaks happen in sparring too.

Golovkin happened to have hit him in exactly the right place at exactly the right time with enough force.

Right when it happened, the entire fight changed.

Comment

Come on man, wards got no power, never going to wobble kovalev. If kovalev comes out firing, ward has 12 rounds he has to get through. Whats the point in wasting early rounds trying to outbox him. Get stuck into him from round one. Sounds crude but that's what maidana did against broner and mayweather and he did alright. Whereas an arguably better fighter in canelo ****ed around trying to outbox mayweather when he cant.
      Kovalev is no dummy, he isn't going to try to rush in and bombard Ward with shots. Ward has enough power to keep him honest, and if Kovalev tries to rush in he'll be playing right into Ward's hands as Ward would love to get him on the inside and stay right up on him, that's what you do to power punchers. JDJ nor Kovalev are going to go into the biggest fight of Krusher's career underestimating their opponent, whether it be his power or strength. They would be in for a rude awakening if they did

Comment

It wasn't an accumulation of punches that broke his socket bone it was just one single shot, because right when it landed Brook started pointing to his eye because he knew something was wrong.

I'm not making excuses and i'm not saying Brook won the fight.

I'm just saying the fight changed when the injury happened, because it did.

Comment

Originally posted by NEETzsche View Post
          kovalev doesn't have GGG's balance, he can be put down

i didn't see the brand fight but ward's counter left hook seemed like a punch you don't want to be hit with repeatedly in the barrera fight
          Ward is an "inverted southpaw", i.e. a "switch"... Well, he may "switch" during the fight... but Kovalev is "shifting":

Comment

People complain and say GGG looked bad, lost a couple rounds and sloppy, but at the end of the day he stopped the guy in 5 rounds and did him some serious damage. To me, it was a good performance and xactly the tactics you should use against someone who's power you don't respect.

My opinion is that kovalev should just follow what GGG did, and walk forward throwing big shots until one does damage, don't worry about winning rounds. Its safe to say that at LHW andre ward couldn't crack an egg, hence he couldn't put away a 40 year old alex brand so hes not going to hurt kovalev when he comes forward. If kovalev just comes straight forward, loading up on shots I think this fight could look pretty similar to the one we saw on Saturday night, the difference being that kell brook has the stomach for a fight and andre ward doesn't, so he may quit before the towel gets thrown in potentially.

What do others feel the game plan for kovalev should be?
            Ward isn't concussive but he is strong. He is also adapted to the weight. He literally looks very lean at the weigh in. He's not bulking up, he's a fully fledged light heavy.
            He's tricky and would use blind aggression against you. Loading up and swinging for the rafters is a terrible idea. Ward is know for defensive capability. If Kovalev manages it it will be due to well applied, smart pressure.

Comment

You missed some details in the fight. Golovkin took punches when he was not in attack. Golovkin took punches when Brook was attacking. Golovkin was able to attack Brook without taking punches from him and thus maintaining his rythm consistent. So it's not like Golovkin walked straight through Brook's punches. So it can't be blueprint for Kovalev because Kovalev has totally different style from Golovkin.

Comment

No one has ever been able to walk through Wards punches, They are hard enough to keep you honest.

If Kovalev employs your strategy then he will get knocked down while rushing in at some point. He is not iron chinned like Golovkin and can't afford to be reckless against someone as precise as Ward. He has to box and be patient to create openings..... He is good enough to do that hence the intrigue of the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by NaijaD View Post
                  No one has ever been able to walk through Wards punches, They are hard enough to keep you honest.

If Kovalev employs your strategy then he will get knocked down while rushing in at some point.
                  He is not iron chinned like Golovkin and can't afford to be reckless against someone as precise as Ward. He has to box and be patient to create openings..... He is good enough to do that hence the intrigue of the fight.
                  Sure: why don't you text Ward or send him an email message? He will highly appreciate your insight...

Comment

I actually think the key to beating Ward is all in the jab I think Kovalev has a good enough jab to offset the rhythm of Ward, he will need to jump that jab out like a piston and If he can do that successfully he will take away the biggest part of Ward's game and that's clinching and holding and hitting.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                      Sure: why don't you text Ward or send him an email message? He will highly appreciate your insight...
                      Sullivan Barrera walked Ward down and threw big shot after big shot compare each other fighters faces at post fight Ward was all marked up and damaged, Barrera had a lot of success against Ward.

Comment

Working...
                      X