No announcement yet.

Pugmire: Sources say HBO won't pay for GGG vs. Jacobs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
    You guys aren't getting it, no matter how many times Motorcity Cobra tries to explain it to you.

The fight has been ordered so it has to be made. It doesn't matter how much Jacobs wants, or how much Golovkin wants, because if they don't come to some agreement then it's going to purse bids anyway.

And whatever the winning purse bid is it will get split up as per the WBA rules.

The only thing that can stop this process from happening is if GGG fights Billy Joe Saunders because that is a unification which trumps a mandatory.
    Now,what is so hard to understand about that???

Comment

• Originally posted by Kigali View Post
      Now,what is so hard to understand about that???
      The truth is, is many GGG fans don't want this fight to happen. Deep down they know why.

The fight is happening and they'll probably die from anxiety

Comment

• Originally posted by big_james10 View Post
        I say that there is no way that HBO will allow Golovkin to go to Showtime, so they will accept a Golovkin/Jacobs fight.
        K2 can put up the money for a PPV that way HBO won't have to pay for anything. There is no excuse for this to come down to GGG having to choose between dropping his belt or fighting off HBO. This is all on K2 to make sure they don't put him in that position.

Comment

You guys aren't getting it, no matter how many times Motorcity Cobra tries to explain it to you.

The fight has been ordered so it has to be made. It doesn't matter how much Jacobs wants, or how much Golovkin wants, because if they don't come to some agreement then it's going to purse bids anyway.

And whatever the winning purse bid is it will get split up as per the WBA rules.

The only thing that can stop this process from happening is if GGG fights Billy Joe Saunders because that is a unification which trumps a mandatory.
          Exactly....

Comment

• How f.cking bad is this HBO budget? Jesus Lord.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ray* View Post
              HBO should mind if they lose money on the fight, they should still make that fight. The would look like a hypocrite if they turn around and not make the fight due to money, they criticise boxers who use money as an excuse so they can't be seen to do the same thing.

Yep.........

Comment

That's pretty much what we've been saying in this thread. The fight won't happen because GGG is going to vacate the belt.

It's possible that Jacobs could be the one to bich out first but I don't think he will. If they can't come to an agreement then I see Jacobs being willing to follow the process and go to purse bids.
                I don't really see it as a *****ing out thing. And if it goes to purse bids I don't see how this fight makes economic sense for Jacobs cuz I don't see how the fight makes the purse bid winner any money if it pays too much which with Jacobs getting only 25% is gonna be hard.

My most likely outcomes for this situation.

1 the alphabet group backs off or pushes out this situation past Jan 11(?)

2 these two sides come to an agreement pre-purse bid

3 the fight falls through for x reason and someone has to vacate the their belt

Comment

• Originally posted by FrankieClutch View Post
                  How f.cking bad is this HBO budget? Jesus Lord.
                  It's rumored to be in the $25M range give or take.

They can always get around it with PPV, but with GGG doing poor numbers in his first PPV and Jacobs not having any PPV I can't imagine HBO feels this fight will be a worthwhile PPV nor should either sides promoter have much confidence in a $7M-$8M purse price tag on this fight will be a profitable investment for them either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                    Why do people keep bringing up Jacobs demands? Jacobs is in no position to play hardball.
                    Jacobs made $1.5M for Quillin. There isn't much doubt in my mind that if Jacobs doesn't get at least $2M he won't accept the fight and fair play to him if that's his stance cuz it doesn't really make sense for him to take it if he doesn't at least get paid that much.

And fair play to GGG if he's put into a situation where he would have to drop a belt cuz he legally wouldn't be able to break the HBO contract he signed.

Hopefully the contract stuff is all negative speculation and K2 actually has some small print that allows for GGG to fight elsewhere if a purse bid is won by a non-HBO friendly promoter or hell maybe even a Eubank situation where if HBO doesn't make the fight viable for K2 to win the purse bid based on their agreement then GGG becomes a free agent. I doubt he gots a gangsta ass Eubank deal but who f#cking knows.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                      Jacobs made $1.5M for Quillin. There isn't much doubt in my mind that if Jacobs doesn't get at least $2M he won't accept the fight and fair play to him if that's his stance cuz it doesn't really make sense for him to take it if he doesn't at least get paid that much.

And fair play to GGG if he's put into a situation where he would have to drop a belt cuz he legally wouldn't be able to break the HBO contract he signed.

Hopefully the contract stuff is all negative speculation and K2 actually has some small print that allows for GGG to fight elsewhere if a purse bid is won by a non-HBO friendly promoter or hell maybe even a Eubank situation where if HBO doesn't make the fight viable for K2 to win the purse bid based on their agreement then GGG becomes a free agent. I doubt he gots a gangsta ass Eubank deal but who f#cking knows.
                      It's not fair play to Jacobs if he vacates or GGG if he vacates. These guys want to fight for titles they know exactly what comes with the territory. Which means mandatory's and purse splits. If you claim you want to fight for titles and unify the division you gotta have a clause in your contract that allows you to fight off network if your promoter loses a purse bid. Like Eubank Jr had in his first Sky contract and like Stevenson had in his contract when he signed with Showtime.

Comment

Working...
                      X