Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinidad vs De La Hoya was a let down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worst superfight ever. Ever. Didn't watch again for nearly 10 years.

On a side note, nearly every reporter at that time had it close (1-2 points) though most had Oscar winning. But justice was served that night because he definitely didn't deserve to win running around like Popo Freitas on coke.

Comment

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
      It was a decent fight until Oscar decided to throw away the last 3 rounds. Funny thing is I still had Oscar winning 8-4.
      For the record I do think Oscar won the fight.

It was just very anti-climactic for what was being billed as the Fight of the Millenium.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Oscar is always criticizing Floyd vs Pacquiao as being disappointing and hurting the sport because so many people tuned in and were let down.

But when De La Hoya had his superfight with Tito he dropped the ball himself. It was supposed to be a war between all-time greats and a chance for boxing to make a big splash, but instead millions of fans were left with a bad taste in their mouth that night.

Kind of an interesting parallel.
        Oscar soundly outboxed a prime ATG and one of the very top welterweights ever for close to 7 or 8 rounds, maybe 9. Before that, he had already twice put a beating on the great chavez and beaten Whitaker. Not to mention had real watchable fights at welter. Oscar/Tito never had as much riding on it as Floyd/Pac.

Add to that the fact that Oscar went on to have probably another 4 or 5 great fights after and I have no idea what you're complaining about.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          Worst superfight ever. Ever. Didn't watch again for nearly 10 years.

On a side note, nearly every reporter at that time had it close (1-2 points) though most had Oscar winning. But justice was served that night because he definitely didn't deserve to win running around like Popo Freitas on coke.
          yeah. tito - vargas it was not.

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
            Oscar soundly outboxed a prime ATG and one of the very top welterweights ever for close to 7 or 8 rounds, maybe 9. Before that, he had already twice put a beating on the great chavez and beaten Whitaker. Not to mention had real watchable fights at welter. Oscar/Tito never had as much riding on it as Floyd/Pac.

Add to that the fact that Oscar went on to have probably another 4 or 5 great fights after and I have no idea what you're complaining about.
            The Trinidad fight was a dud, man. There's no way around it.

It was supposed to be a classic war between two p4p elites but it didn't deliver on all the hype. That's what I'm saying.

Comment

meh, both tito and oscar were in their prime, they got the stinker out of the way and didnt wait 5 years

Comment

Originally posted by ramses07 View Post
                meh, both tito and oscar were in their prime, they got the stinker out of the way and didnt wait 5 years
                They were both prime but still disappointed.

How many newbies tuned in for that fight then got turned off from the sport for good by the "action" and then the bull**** judges decision?

Comment

Originally posted by baya View Post
                  yeah. tito - vargas it was not.
                  Trinidad v Vargas was an all time classic. Vargas fought like a true Mexican. I respected that man ever since.

Comment

They were both prime but still disappointed.

How many newbies tuned in for that fight then got turned off from the sport for good by the "action" and then the bull**** judges decision?
                    It's fair to disagree with the Decision as it was a close fight. To call it bull**** is a stretch epic proportions.

Comment

The Trinidad fight was a dud, man. There's no way around it.

It was supposed to be a classic war between two p4p elites but it didn't deliver on all the hype. That's what I'm saying.
                      But how is that Oscars problem? He did his bit, Tito just wasnt in his league, prime for prime. Plus its hardly a boring fight, just not an all out action great.

Comment

Working...
                      X