Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trinidad vs De La Hoya was a let down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can blame Oscar for the last 3-4 rounds of the fight but you have to blame Trinidad for the first 8-9 rounds. The first 3/4 was about a guy who couldnt engage (Trinidad) and the last 1/4 was about the guy who wouldnt engage (Oscar). Yes it was a let down probably a bigger let down than May-Pac in retrospect because De La Hoya and Trinidad were in their prime while Pac and May were already almost out the game.

Comment

not only was it a letdown, it was the biggest robbery in boxing.

http://www.espn.com/boxing/story/_/i...idad-revisited

''The CompuBox statistics (which are not a substitute for scoring the fight round by round, but do typically offer insight) heavily favored De La Hoya. Oscar landed 263 of 648 punches, while Trinidad went 166-of-462. It was a CompuBox blowout -- though that was based mostly on jabs, as De La Hoya's edge in power punches landed was only 124-120.''

http://www.badlefthook.com/2009/12/8...st-title-fight

http://coxscorner.tripod.com/dlhdec.htm

can a tito fan please share their facts (NOT OPINION) on this matter ?!?!?! btw, was a fan of both guys and its not titos fault that he was awarded that gift. i do hate how he acted as if following and missing was something to celebrate.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa_ View Post
        C'mon man this isn't the history forum. Post a vid FFS.

Most of the old heads I know had it draw but say it could have went either way.

I'm waiting for someone to upload a vid of it that isn't grainy.
        You seriously haven't seen the fight?

Comment

Originally posted by IFightDirty View Post
          You can blame Oscar for the last 3-4 rounds of the fight but you have to blame Trinidad for the first 8-9 rounds. The first 3/4 was about a guy who couldnt engage (Trinidad) and the last 1/4 was about the guy who wouldnt engage (Oscar). Yes it was a let down probably a bigger let down than May-Pac in retrospect because De La Hoya and Trinidad were in their prime while Pac and May were already almost out the game.
          even if dlh ''ran'' those last few rds, you cant automatically give those rds to tito. a guy still has to win those rds. one can easily say dlh defense cancelled out titos aggression.

Comment

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Oscar is always criticizing Floyd vs Pacquiao as being disappointing and hurting the sport because so many people tuned in and were let down.

But when De La Hoya had his superfight with Tito he dropped the ball himself. It was supposed to be a war between all-time greats and a chance for boxing to make a big splash, but instead millions of fans were left with a bad taste in their mouth that night.

Kind of an interesting parallel.
            Trinidad/De La Hoya was nowhere near as hyped as Pacquaio/Mayweather. It was considered a fight between the two best welterweights. However, no one expected it to sell as well on PPV as it did, especially considering that million selling PPV's were rare at the time and no contest below heavyweight had sold more than 500,000 PPVs at that time.

Both Trinidad/De La Hoya and Mayweather/Pacquiao were only disappointing to those who expected those fights to be knockdown, dragout slugfests. People who knew anything about boxing knew what to expect in both fights.

I am more disappointed with the fact that Oscar refuses to make an Alvarez/Golovkin fight. However, I am sure that, if Brook wins, Oscar will be on the phone with Hearn within an hour after the fight is over trying to make a deal between Alvarez and Brook.

Comment

You seriously haven't seen the fight?

No. Just highlights like the one the homie SemiGreat posted. I'd love to see a modern version of the fight.

Comment

No. Just highlights like the one the homie SemiGreat posted. I'd love to see a modern version of the fight.
                a highlight clip of tito ''beating'' dlh doesnt exist for good reasons.

Comment

I honestly just gave tito one of the 1st 9 rounds, though I could make an argument for 2, either, not enough and negates whatever oscar may have done the last 3.....as wack as it may be.

It's very hard to find a top 5 boxing robbery list without this on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kigali View Post
                    One of Oscars cross-dressing Vatos.

Oscar stunk up the joint on several occasions.

Remember the Felix Sturm fight??

Oscar wasn't even in shape for that fight...now show me ONE time Floyd entered the ring out of shape.
                    Vato? Lol ur corny ass *** I'll back slap the **** outta u

Comment

Oscar is always criticizing Floyd vs Pacquiao as being disappointing and hurting the sport because so many people tuned in and were let down.

But when De La Hoya had his superfight with Tito he dropped the ball himself. It was supposed to be a war between all-time greats and a chance for boxing to make a big splash, but instead millions of fans were left with a bad taste in their mouth that night.

Kind of an interesting parallel.
                      This is a poor comparison. It wasn't the same kind of letdown as say, the Floyd/Pac fight or the Guerrero fight for example.

DLH took him to school for almost the whole fight. He ended it uncharacteristically as he is known to explode at the end of fights, but he closed it out intelligently and just happened to get robbed in the process. It's sad because DLH coulda stopped him.

Originally posted by baya View Post
                      there's no honor on how odlh closed out that fight. it was exactly what a fighter should never do.

closed it out like a true mexican coward.
                      Can't call a guy who gave Trinidad a beating a coward because he wanted to show off that footwork and cruise to the finish line.

GUERRA DE LA HOYA!!!

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
                      Not to mention two super elites at there most prime and oscarnto the smart road and hit the track running. The most let down I had to witness in boxing. I still haven't forgiven Oscar.
                      Outboxing someone for the majority of the fight and coasting using movement and ring generalship during the championship rounds is not running bud. Try again.
                      Originally posted by pvj View Post
                      And yet this mexican coward still put on a boxing lesson on one of Puerto Rico greatest. Shame!

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                      Oscar took him to school then ran like a bishhh....
                      Still should have gotten the decision.
                      Guess what boyo, you get to run if you want and coast if you school someone for 10 rounds. You earned it. Fighters carry fighters all the time.

I woulda rather seen DLH give him a beating, but it is what it is.

Originally posted by Derranged View Post
                      It was a decent fight until Oscar decided to throw away the last 3 rounds. Funny thing is I still had Oscar winning 8-4.
                      It was a robbery. DLH was ahead on my card as well and I gave Tito the last few rounds.
                      Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
                      It was a boxing match not a track meet. You fail
                      I love how you act like DLH ran for 12 rounds. He ran for 2 1/2, after he had already sealed the deal. Keep coping.
                      Originally posted by Death_Adder View Post
                      People blaming DLH for the fight? that's a laugh, Cheato looked like someone that had laced up the gloves for the first time that same day, he looked like a chump in there for 10 rounds. DLH made it look easy until the end. Cheato was even getting so frustrated he was cheap shotting DLH.

Exactly this. A grade-A schooling. A masterclass.

You haven't watched DLH/Trinidad? WOW. WOW.
                      Last edited by LoadedWraps; 09-09-2016, 12:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X