Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Honest opinions about ward & kovalev...fanboys welcome too.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honest opinions about ward & kovalev...fanboys welcome too.

Does either ward or kovalev have the feel of the best p4p fighter in the sport? I know one of them will have earned it, but they both lack something for me. I know p4p doesn't really even mean much, but compared to p4p#1 fighters of the past...neither of these guys are very captivating. Ward is basically past his prime, he's a bit boring, has no personality, uses smothering tactics and doesn't even seem that interested in the sport. Kovalev is a bit raw, is a little reliant on power, struggled with a good mover/jabber and lacks personality himself. Kovalev is the kind of fighter i could picture losing or having bad performances against many fighters...ward is the kind of guy i could picture holding the p4p#1 spot hostage and not fighting the fights everyone wants to see. I know it's not possible to win them all in spectacular fashion, but it's nice for a p4p#1 fighter to really have something special that sets them apart from the rest, and both of these guys seem a bit ordinary to me. It might be down to me being negative on boxing in general lately. End rant.

im a big fan of kovalev but yeah i do agree, when i watch him i dont think hes some superstar, like i did when i watched mayweather and you knew you were watching the top guy in the sport. And as for ward, well dont get me started...

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
      im a big fan of kovalev but yeah i do agree, when i watch him i dont think hes some superstar, like i did when i watched mayweather and you knew you were watching the top guy in the sport. And as for ward, well dont get me started...
      That's a good way of putting it...boxing is full of guys that lack that superstar quality these days.

Comment

Neither of them have all that much charisma imo but proving your the best doesn't require any talking.

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
          That's a good way of putting it...boxing is full of guys that lack that superstar quality these days.
          had a similar convo about this with mates the other day who are interested in boxing but not mega fans of the sport. Were shocked when i said kovalev was my P4P number 1 but then they were in agreement eventually because they couldnt come up with any other names, because everyones record is somewhat limited. I mean gonzalez's is good but 99.99 percent of people over here havent heard of him.

Comment

You used three things to disqualify Ward that has nothing to do with P4P rankings. So I guess this is the new agenda now that the fight is confirmed. Make sure Ward doesn't get P4P if he wins. You people are see thru.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
              You used three things to disqualify Ward that has nothing to do with P4P rankings. So I guess this is the new agenda now that the fight is confirmed. Make sure Ward doesn't get P4P if he wins. You people are see thru.
              even if ward by some miracle wins, thats one good win in 5 years, compare that to the amount of good wins mayweather had in his final 5 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                and hes not saying ward shouldnt be P4P, hes just saying he doesnt compare to other P4P number 1s from other eras in terms of star quality.

Comment

Originally posted by bigdramashow View Post
                  and hes not saying ward shouldnt be P4P, hes just saying he doesnt compare to other P4P number 1s from other eras in terms of star quality.
                  And Roman Gonzalez is just brimming with charisma, huh?

Comment

A boxer doesnt need to have superstar/cross over appeal to be the best. Jones jr was the best and he wasnt a boxing superstar. Kovalev and ward are in a strong division and if either of them dominates that division they deserve to be called the best.

Comment

Working...
                    X