No announcement yet.

Golovkin's Top 5 Wins

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
    Geale unified the WBA/IBF belts and has wins over Sturm, Sylvester and Mundine. He was the #1 ranked MW contender behind Sergio Martinez for the longest time.

Lemieux has losses to journeyman level opposition and his best win is N'Dam who is a C+ fighter.

martin murray was blatantly robbed against martinez in argentina and should be the former lineal champion of the world. had success and has been competitive against bigger, better fighters, and did well enough against golovkin that you know who the more able head to head fighter was without any shadow of a doubt. geale couldn't take golovkin's gas, land any of his own. murray did both for a while. he just couldn't take the body punishment and the pace, and eventually got hit with stuff he couldn't handle.

he is, without a doubt, the best fighter golovkin faced, considering his size, ability, durability, and record. i'm sure you could ask gennady and he'd tell you that geale brought less to the table than murray did.

Comment

Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
      He struggled making that 157 catchweight with Cotto. He re-hydrated to over 180 that night if I recall.

I think he was still in decent condition when GGG beat him but the weight issues against Cotto made him look like complete crap.
      It's not a matter of looking like crap. You ARE crap if you, as a middleweight, gets beaten by Cotto.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
        martin murray was blatantly robbed against martinez in argentina and should be the former lineal champion of the world. had success and has been competitive against bigger, better fighters, and did well enough against golovkin that you know who the more able head to head fighter was without any shadow of a doubt. geale couldn't take golovkin's gas, land any of his own. murray did both for a while. he just couldn't take the body punishment and the pace, and eventually got hit with stuff he couldn't handle.

he is, without a doubt, the best fighter golovkin faced, considering his size, ability, durability, and record. i'm sure you could ask gennady and he'd tell you that geale brought less to the table than murray did.
        What are you talking about? We're discussing Geale vs. Lemieux; not Murray.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
          Geale was pretty damned shot, though. He got easily stopped by Cotto, who was an old and much smaller guy who had done nothing for years except losing to Trout and beating an old crippled Martinez...
          To call him shot when GGG fought him is a huge stretch. What are you basing him being shot on? The SD loss to Barker after the two biggest wins of his career? You could certainly say he was a bit past his prime, possibly. But to call him shot is revisionist history.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBoxingXpert View Post
            Geale was pretty damned shot, though. He got easily stopped by Cotto, who was an old and much smaller guy who had done nothing for years except losing to Trout and beating an old crippled Martinez...
            Geale wasn't shot all going in, the cw killed Danny going in to the Cotto fight. Geale is GGG's best win.

Comment

Geale was never particularly good in the first place. But he was very lucky to get decisions in close fights.

Top 5 wins for Golovkin would be (in no particular order):
              1) Ouma (the only fight, I thought Golovkin would lose, until he broke Ouma)
              2) Stevens (very sensible tension in the ring, when two hard punchers collided)
              3) Rosado (was a good win, given the fact that Golovkin was weakened by the flu)
              4) Lemieux (a fight against good puncher at the peak of his professional career)
              5) Proksa (at the time of the fight Proksa was a confident fighter with unorthodox style, which could create problems for anyone)

I think that Brook may turn out to be trickier challenger than anyone at TOP 5 above.
              I really look for a treat. Potentially it can be a great fight. Wouldn't be surprised if it is.

Comment

Comment

I think one could argue all of his wins are about equal after Murray. If I was one of these people, I would rank them like golf does with ties:

1. Murray
                  34. all other wins tied

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    I think one could argue all of his wins are about equal after Murray. If I was one of these people, I would rank them like golf does with ties:

1. Murray
                    34. all other wins tied
                    It's not impossible to rank the opponents just because they're low level.

Comment

Wow, Golovkin's fans are really mad at Cotto for beating Geale better than GGG did.

I guess it must hurt to know GGG's best win was Cotto's tune-up.

AND Cotto beat Canelo; don't pretend it wasn't a robbery. Even Mexico had Cotto winning.

Cotto's on fire. Woo. I hope he gets Bradley next, so that all the people who inevitably pick Bradley see the truth. Cotto's at the top, right now, whether HBO likes it or not. XD

Comment

Working...
                      X