Collapse
No announcement yet.

My thoughts on kovalev-ward now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who knows what Ward shows up, he hasn't fought a top level fighter in years and years. I think both guys will be the best either has faced. 50-50 for me but Ward has that experience and can make it ugly... Idk, I'm looking forward to it no matter who wins.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
      Who knows what Ward shows up, he hasn't fought a top level fighter in years and years. I think both guys will be the best either has faced. 50-50 for me but Ward has that experience and can make it ugly... Idk, I'm looking forward to it no matter who wins.
      Thing is ward has actually fought several world class fighters.. Kovalev? None

Comment

Originally posted by King Jaffe Joffer View Post
        Kovalev would blow a hole in the guys Ward has fought.

Froch, Kessler, Dawson, Bika, Rodriguez, Abraham...he'd stop them all, most of them in the first half of the bouts.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post

Froch, Kessler, Dawson, Bika, Rodriguez, Abraham...he'd stop them all, most of them in the first half of the bouts.
          Maybe, maybe not.

But around here we don't give credit for winning imaginary fights.

Comment

Originally posted by Weebler I View Post

Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
            Maybe, maybe not.

But around here we don't give credit for winning imaginary fights.

For that type of theoretical comparison to even be relevant, Kovalev would need to beat a LHW version of Froch, Kessler, Dawson, Bika, Rodriguez, Abraham..... because Kovalev will not be facing the 168lb Ward who beat those guys.

Ward may be close to a LHW NOW, sure..... but he weighed 168 when he beat that bunch.

Ward's resume is far better..... the main issue appears to be centered around..... is Ward still the same fighter, especially after moving up to LHW, because the current 175 kingpin is a beast.

Personally, I think that the reasons given so far to suggest that Ward is not the same fighter, seem to be primarily motivated by desire/hope.....

..... and going off the Chilemba fight, Kovalev and JDJ have a few things to work on before Ward comes knocking, and not a lot of time on the clock.

Let's see how Ward looks against Brand.

Ward is under no illusion that Brand is some Kovalev clone..... what I think is, Ward is likely close to being on point, and he has been ready for Kovalev for years..... Brand is a look-good confidence-builder, and another camp designed specifically to prepare him for LHW.

Comment

Originally posted by King Jaffe Joffer View Post
              Yeah Hopkins is a straight up bum. On the level of Rod Salka.

And yeah, Ward fought world class guys....3 + years ago hence the " what Ward shows up" comment...we don't know cause he hasn't fought anyone top level in a long long time. And don't act like Kovavlev wouldn't beat every guy Ward has fought.

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
                Yeah Hopkins is a straight up bum. On the level of Rod Salka.

And yeah, Ward fought world class guys....3 + years ago hence the " what Ward shows up" comment...we don't know cause he hasn't fought anyone top level in a long long time. And don't act like Kovavlev wouldn't beat every guy Ward has fought.

I think that is utter nonsense.

I have never heard comparisons like that before.

For that type of theoretical comparison to even be relevant, Kovalev would need to beat a LHW version of Froch, Kessler, Dawson, Bika, Rodriguez, Abraham..... because Kovalev will not be facing the 168lb Ward who beat those guys.

Ward may be close to a LHW NOW, sure..... but he weighed 168 when he beat that bunch.

After watching the Chilemba fight, no way can you categorically state that Kovalev - who has only really fought 50yo Hopkins - would have beaten all of those guys had they been legit 175lb'ers.....

..... maybe, but no way can you categorically reassure anyone of that.

Also, styles make fights..... even if he could beat them, they are not Andre Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by BombZquad View Post
                  Chilemba has a new fan lol

Anyways, kovalev didn't look very good. Tonight this version of kovalev loses to ward unless he lands a perfect right and KOs him.

Chilemba is a tough opponent who needs to get in the ring with beterbiev or gvozdyk. His jab is good, granite chin, and he is tricky to hit. Despite this kovalev still knocked him down and probably would of KO'd him. The bell saved him.

At this point people, and I'm a Krusher fan too.. ward likely wins a UD 12. But it's still a damn good fight either man can win. I'm sure kovalev understands how good ward is and will better prepare for him than anyone else. Chilemba is a perfect opponent to prepare him.
                  Kovalev himself admitted he was off in this fight in the post-fight interview. I expect we'll see a much better Kovalev when he faces Ward. Kovalev coasted a bit in the Chilemba fight and he knows he won't be able to do with Ward and stay up on points.

It's still a 50/50 fight, IMO with a slight edge to Kovalev. Ward didn't exactly look like superman in his last fight either, remember. Also, Ward was much more stationary in his last fight and didn't move around as much as he used to, which might get him into trouble with Kovalev.

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                    I think that is utter nonsense.

I have never heard comparisons like that before.

After watching the Chilemba fight, no way can you categorically state that Kovalev - who has only really fought 50yo Hopkins - would have beaten all of those guys had they been legit 175lb'ers.....

..... maybe, but no way can you categorically reassure anyone of that.

Also, styles make fights..... even if he could beat them, they are not Andre Ward.

Kovalev mentioned he was pressured and off that night verse chilemba. I sort of believe it too, he was very offensive probably because he didn't want to bore his hometown. The Kovalev that dismantled pascal 2 and Hopkins would probably have finished chilemba off in the 7th after the knock down.

I'd say Ward-Kovalev is still 50/50. My brain is on Ward heart is to Kovalev. But they're both my favorite fighter who are class acts. Whoever wins and loses doesn't matter I'm supporting all the way through until retirement

Comment

Been telling you along man.

Comment

Working...
                      X