Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful Boxing Styles

what makes a style beautiful to you?

1) # of picture perfect shots landed

The more accurate a fighter is, the easier it is on our eyes.

This one might depend on the fighter: little wasted motion. Some guys try to be a little too cute and it works against them, but I love watching Loma glide around the ring. I also like that extreme change of levels/angles that Lara does when he leans back, but that **** can be dangerous.
    Last edited by kiaba360; 07-09-2016, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
      This one might depend on the fighter: little wasted motion. Some guys try to be a little too cute and it works against them, but I love watching Loma glide around the ring. I also like that extreme change of levels/angles that Lara does when he leans back, but that **** can be dangerous.
      In the black & white days fighters would jab n circle around a lot. This kept the flow of the fight and made it look good.

Fighters today reset more often. They get backed to the ropes or clinch (not knocking it as it has important uses).

Comment

I like every style.

Boxer, boxer puncher, slugger, brawler....

What I care about is not style but how you try to win fights.

By trying to hurt your opponent.

I just don't want a guy to do bare minimum to win a round.

Comment

Like art, I can appreciate different styles of boxing.
          Ali had the floating style.
          Hearns had a cobra-like coil and strike.
          Calzaghe has a raw, relentless style, the pugilistic equivalent to 70's punk rock.
          Floyd's defensive game was like jazz drums, right in the pocket.
          Pac's buzzsaw had a wreckless grace, like a guy juggling chainsaws on a high-wire.
          Mikey Garcia and Loma have styles that reminds me of theatric kung-fu.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
            I like every style.

Boxer, boxer puncher, slugger, brawler....

What I care about is not style but how you try to win fights.

By trying to hurt your opponent.

I just don't want a guy to do bare minimum to win a round.
            Huge fan of Lara's style, but he has ****ed himself over multiple times by doing exactly this.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
              In the black & white days fighters would jab n circle around a lot. This kept the flow of the fight and made it look good.

Fighters today reset more often. They get backed to the ropes or clinch (not knocking it as it has important uses).
              Ward and Lara like to stick-and-move, but the way they perform this is so different. Lara has a lot of sizzle/flash, while Ward is more subtle and functional: I prefer to watch Ward, minus the head-clashes lol. There are also jabbers like McDonnell/Selby/Trout, but I prefer a jab with venom behind it. Ward has a stern jab whereas Lara seems to just flick his out there to bait for the venomous straight left. I always find it beautiful when a lanky fighter can operate on the inside (Andrade-Nelson), especially when it's antithetical to their normal style.

Another trait: calmness. Jarrett Hurd seems to have this, but it's kinda hard to pinpoint its manifestation. It's like his calm demeanor masks his true power level. The way he lets his punches go seems so effortless.

Any style with Oscar Valdez's lead left hook is a favorite lol. The way he smashed Gradovich was great to watch.
              Last edited by kiaba360; 07-09-2016, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Lomachenko's style is beatiful, I was rewatching his fight with Martinez so many times, it was just the epitome of beauty in boxing

Comment

I enjoy a fighter that's accurate. Period. Don't care about punch output if they're just throwing (and missing) punches.

Comment

Oh! How could I forget Maravilla, Sergio Martinez! The VanGoh of boxing. A post-impressionist who never followed strict form but let his style flow, creating some of the most fluid and timeless moments in the sport.

Comment

Working...
                    X