No announcement yet.

Marquez Moved Up Two Weight Divisions to Face Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marquez Moved Up Two Weight Divisions to Face Mayweather

Juan Manuel Marquez had never fought above 135 and then moved to 142 against Mayweather who weighed 146 at the weigh-in. So, in essence, he moved up seven pounds and fought a Mayweather who was 4 pounds heavier at the weigh-in. Marquez also had fought very little at 135, mostly 130 the past few years.

I have no problem with any of this, but I'm not going to nod along and say this is fine and then condemn other champions for doing the same thing. 147-155 isn't even that much of a leap. 147-160 is higher, but these guys both agreed to it. So what's the problem?

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
    Juan Manuel Marquez had never fought above 135 and then moved to 142 against Mayweather who weighed 146 at the weigh-in. So, in essence, he moved up seven pounds and fought a Mayweather who was 4 pounds heavier at the weigh-in. Marquez also had fought very little at 135, mostly 130 the past few years.

I have no problem with any of this, but I'm not going to nod along and say this is fine and then condemn other champions for doing the same thing. 147-155 isn't even that much of a leap. 147-160 is higher, but these guys both agreed to it. So what's the problem?
    Worse than that, he was told he couldn't weigh in more than 144. Then Mayweather came in at 146. A total farse.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
      Worse than that, he was told he couldn't weigh in more than 144. Then Mayweather came in at 146. A total farse.
      I think your pic sums it all up. Four middleweight fights, with 4 strawweight excuses. A man has to find the ones who will fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Pea 50 View Post
        Killing it with these gifs.
        Oh I have a line up

Comment

And Mayweather STILL gets shyt over this so why would it be a good argument to bolster GGG?? Are you going to talk shyt about him too?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            And Mayweather STILL gets shyt over this so why would it be a good argument to bolster GGG?? Are you going to talk shyt about him too?
            No. I don't have anything against his fight with Marquez. They both agreed and it went down. That's what happens. I didn't have a problem with Canelo-Khan and I don't have a problem with this fight. Isn't boxing all about beating names? That's what it thrives on. Brook is a good sized welterweight and was talking of a move up. This is over that for sure, but he agreed to it. So let's see what happens. Saunders, Canelo, Jacobs, Eubank all stalled out. So what should Golovkin do? Take a lower paying fight? This should do well in London.

Comment

Originally posted by anthonydavid11 View Post
              No. I don't have anything against his fight with Marquez. They both agreed and it went down. That's what happens. I didn't have a problem with Canelo-Khan and I don't have a problem with this fight. Isn't boxing all about beating names? That's what it thrives on. Brook is a good sized welterweight and was talking of a move up. This is over that for sure, but he agreed to it. So let's see what happens. Saunders, Canelo, Jacobs, Eubank all stalled out. So what should Golovkin do? Take a lower paying fight? This should do well in London.
              That's a real spin job....
              God forbid GGG fight a 168lber like Sanchez has been promising. No, he's going the other direction by fighting a welter. I knew that Ramirez talk was total BS. Sad, because GGG would likely own that division. Instead, he's fighting a 147lber, and not even a great one. If this was a legend like Pac or May, or even someone proven like Thurman or Bradley, I would give more credit than Brook, who still only has 1 decent name on his record. If his management can't book anyone at 160, then there's no end of journeymen 168.

I understand that you fans are in damage control mode but I implore you to try to take an honest look at this.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                That's a real spin job....
                God forbid GGG fight a 168lber like Sanchez has been promising. No, he's going the other direction by fighting a welter. I knew that Ramirez talk was total BS. Sad, because GGG would likely own that division. Instead, he's fighting a 147lber, and not even a great one. If this was a legend like Pac or May, or even someone proven like Thurman or Bradley, I would give more credit than Brook, who still only has 1 decent name on his record. If his management can't book anyone at 160, then there's no end of journeymen 168.

I understand that you fans are in damage control mode but I implore you to try to take an honest look at this.
                How is it a spin? Haha. To be honest, Golovkin looks small to me for a super middleweight. Maybe I'm wrong. What I've seen is that everyone talks about fighting him at middleweight and then backs away. Brook stepped right up. I didn't think about Sanchez, but I knew Ramirez was out and DeGale-Jack will keep him from fighting them. Brook is no bum. He's 36-0 and beat Porter. And just what legends are there to fight these days? Marquez, Pac and Mayweather are all gone. I don't see any legends at 147, 154 or 160 right now.

Comment

Working...
                X