Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shawn Porter needs to watch some Ricky Hatton fights!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doctor_Tenma View Post
    Main problems with Porter is, he isn't consistent with the jab and he seriously needs to slow down his attack on the inside. Hatton at least did that. Think it was round 8 where Porter was running into shots after landing the body shot that hurt Thurman, he looked awful there.
    Exactly - there is nothing classy about his work at all, but you know he has it within him. I think he needs to ditch his dad and the comfort of that situation, he needs to change it up, because I think there is a very good fighter there who honestly could have beaten both Brook and Thurman with some more subtlety to his work and a little more finesse.

He never built on that body shot at all, that was absolutely scandalous.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
      Hatton couldnt fight in the inside at all just like Porter..Porter needs to develop a jab and an inside game to be honest.
      Only seen Hatton v Floyd I see.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
        I was thinking the exact same thing.

I have been around boxing forums long enough to say that the opinion of Ricky Hatton the fighter has been one of the most extreme up and down cycles of any fighter I have ever seen. If you were around in 2003-2004 he was a paper champ bum creation of Frank Warren, who wouldn't leave Manchester. Post 2005 - he was the new Roberto Duran, until Collazo when people were a bit more circumspect. After Floyd - he was an overrated bum, after Malignaggi he was a top fighter again, and after Pacquiao he was bum city once again.

Now...generally a little underrated and under appreciated I feel.

Comment

Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
          right hook roll under
          It's the same move, every time!

Comment

Why all the hate on Hatton?
            I believe he was pretty good, and there is no shame on losing to the best fighters of your era.

Comment

Hatton was excellent at picking body shots when fighting inside. He's a lot more skilled than Porter, there was a lot more method to Hatton's game.

He's definitely underrated. I think Manny's and Floyd's win over him should go down as one of their very good wins because he was a rough night for anybody else. I'm not saying he was truly elite, but at 140 he was excellent for a couple of years. I think that his first ever loss to Floyd took something out of him, especially given the size of the occasion. He was never the same and even his punch resistance didn't seem the same, although i think years of boozing and ballooning up and down in weight between fights probably played a huge part in that too.

For a guy who literally lived the total opposite to an athlete's lifestyle apart from whenever he fought, it makes you wonder what he could have been if he had taken care of himself a bit more.

Comment

Hatton couldnt fight in the inside at all just like Porter..Porter needs to develop a jab and an inside game to be honest.
                Define what fighting on the inside means to you. Sure he smothered his own space a lot...but to say a guy who did most of his best work on the inside can't fight there "at all" is a ridiculous overstatement. He used body shots and uppercuts well...his weakness was transitioning from outside to inside and vice versa when his opponent stepped back to create space. He was a little too aggressive.

Comment

Originally posted by BodiesInFlight View Post
                  wrestling is not inside fighting man

Comment

wrestling is not inside fighting man
                    Ricky Hatton did do a lot of clinching in certain fights and was pretty smart with it and used it to his advantage.

He also used clinching to steal rests.

Remind you of anyone man?

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                      First off, I think Shawn has more physical talent and the possibility to be a far better fighter than Hatton, but he desperately needs more finesse and skill to his work. I don't think he is as skilful or as smart as Hatton was as a pressure fighter. Hatton came forward, but was so much cuter on the inside, he also used pull counters, counter uppercuts and up jabs, and generally used his jab in a more effective way when coming in.

He had better footwork and varied his rhythm, thing is Shawn has the ability to do all these things and do them faster, although the ring intelligence can't be taught, he has the physical ability to practice and perfect a lot of things in the gym, plus his chin seems to extremely solid. There are many great pressure fighters he could watch, but I bring up Hatton because he didn't have the talent of a Tyson or some of the great pressure fighters down the years but he still did a lot of good things, some of which Porter doesn't have in his arsenal, in fact he has a very basic arsenal and punch selection, its really frustrating to watch.

The fight was there for the taking against Thurman, but he just doesn't have enough creativity and variety in his work, he didn't use the jab enough, he hurt Thurman to the body and never followed up, Thurman didn't even need to move as much as I expected, I know its tougher than it looks in their at that level, but I didn't see Thurman really doing a lot to offset Porter, and I think Shawn let rounds get away from him, rather than Thurman taking them.
                      I'd rather see him watch some old Henry Armstrong fights.

However, personally, I thought he won the Thuman fight and would beat most welterweights out there.

Comment

Working...
                      X