Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin-Eubank Moves Closer After 'Very Positive' Talks in London

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope it gets made. If I understand the situation correctly, Golovkin agreed to a certain amount, and Eubank stands to make GBP 3m at the current structure. They're negotiating with Sky to increase the PPV share.

Under those terms, I wonder what Golovkin's purse would be. As the defending champion, I assume it should be the majority of the guaranteed purse - more than GBP 3m. I'd guess 5m GGG - 3m Eubank guaranteed?

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
      Yes! Never thought I'd be so enthusiastic about a *meh* fight but I guess that says something about Golovkin's past comp. Even if it's only Eubank Jr, it's still a hell of a lot better than Dom Wade. Chris is scrappy and will at least put up a fight.
      Hey, GGG could be dragging up unranked 39 year old unranked JRMW to fight at 160. I mean dragging them up repeatedly.

Wade actually had a better resume than Eubanks. He could even be better, We've seen him beat a decent MW. Eubanks hasn't best anyone that isn't domestic level

After this fight is over (actually it's not happening, Eubanks/Hearns/Sky are building off ramps daily) you'll be the first to point out Eubanks hadn't beat any top ten MW. Even though he is ranked 1# by WBA, but still, you may say this now, but I suspect you'll crap all over it later.

Comment

Originally posted by cork View Post
        Ggg would just outbox Eubanks and wins by decision if he wants to. Eubanks leaves himself open too much and swings too wide. Can't see Eubanks winning besides getting a lucky lunch and knocking ggg out.
        Don't get me wrong but you do realize that Golovkin is fighting one of the Eubank and not both right.. I see this is a common pattern that the guy is called Eubanks..

Comment

Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post
          Hey, GGG could be dragging up unranked 39 year old unranked JRMW to fight at 160. I mean dragging them up repeatedly.

Wade actually had a better resume than Eubanks. He could even be better, We've seen him beat a decent MW. Eubanks hasn't best anyone that isn't domestic level

After this fight is over (actually it's not happening, Eubanks/Hearns/Sky are building off ramps daily) you'll be the first to point out Eubanks hadn't beat any top ten MW. Even though he is ranked 1# by WBA, but still, you may say this now, but I suspect you'll crap all over it later.
          No, no, no. I don't expect you to have read every post of mine so I won't dig into you for that but I've gone on record here as saying I personally think he's a good opponent and, while his resume doesn't support it, I feel that he's the best fighter Golovkin will have fought (though by a slim margin). I've followed Chris since his first pro fight and though he failed to meet my expectations, I still think he's got fire and has that X factor that passionate fighters bring. If I were to ever go back on that, please do call me out on that.

I'm legitimately looking forward to this because I believe Golovkin will win and think it will finally be a step toward better opposition. I can't claim it's a great fight because people could easily tear me apart on that, but I personally like it a lot. I'm not going to trash Genady on this because I WANT him to do this, I'm cheering them both on.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
            He's right though, what separates Wards resume from Gggs is Froch and Kessler. Quality wins but not great or anything. The better scalp Froch famously said he'd swerve Ggg like the plague when the fight was looking plausible
            (Edit: I'm not ****ting on Ward's resume, just pointing out the strange aspect of it)

Let's dismiss the last four years where Ward's resume is pathetic--about to drag up his second SMW to 175--thus one an unranked 39 year old.

Ward's resume is built off of beating two guys known best for beating each other. One who retired when he had chance to fight GGG.

So Froch and Kessler are guys who all fought and best each other. Abraham went 12 with Froch and Ward. He just went 12 with Murray too. But GGG worked Murray pretty bad. There is some overlap here.

Kessler beat Froch, and lost once to Froch. Lost against Ward and got whooped by Calzaghe.

Ward's best wins are Froch and the guy who beat Froch once and lost to him once.

So really, Froch is his big win. The same Froch when he had a chance to fight GGG said this, "Just swerve Golovkin like the plague. He punches like a mule. I don’t need to be in with him. Dangerous fight.”

Froch when it was realistic to fight GGG wouldn't even think about it. This was about the same time Ward first said nope. What gets me both came back when GGG was getting titles, and heavier name recognition and wanted absurd conditions to fight.
            Last edited by Progrssive_Jedi; 06-27-2016, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
              Yeah! Ward fought Froch in 2011 and he is going to be fighting Kovalev in the ... (insert appropriate season here)

Redd Foxx had a great point, as usual.

Why defend a guy for having a poor resume', by attacking a guy who happens to sport a MUCH better resume?

Not smart.

Just like your angle.....

So, "Ward fought Froch in 2011 and he is going to be fighting Kovalev" next..... and yet, Golovkin last fought a world-class opponent like Froch/Kovalev, when?

I didn't get your point, or the point of that guy you are defending..... if you want to deflect, then I would suggest that you STOP mentioning names like Ward/Froch/Kovalev LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                No, no, no. I don't expect you to have read every post of mine so I won't dig into you for that but I've gone on record here as saying I personally think he's a good opponent and, while his resume doesn't support it, I feel that he's the best fighter Golovkin will have fought (though by a slim margin).
                I'm not pretending to know what you think, I'm just saying you'll point out the obvious, Eubanks hasn't beat anyone.

I personally havnt seen anything from Eubanks that would make me think he can compete with GGG, other than whooping on guys who would look worse than Wade against GGG. I think if Suanders outboxed Eubanks, GGG does easily. But GGG will take advantage of the fact Eubanks thinks he can't be hurt. That's a mistake, because even if he's not KO'd, he'll broke down from getting hit.

I'm not stoked about the fight because people will rightly point out what I just did, Eubanks literally hasn't beat anyone.

If we are accepting eye test, then GGG resume shouldn't matter. But the fact Canelo, Andrade, and Jocobs all three want to wait a year or more to fight him does say something.

Comment

Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post
                  Let's dismiss the last four years where Ward's resume is pathetic--about to drag up his second SMW to 175--thus one an unranked 39 year old.

Ward's resume is built off of beating two guys known best for beating each other. One who retired when he had chance to fight GGG.

So Froch and Kessler are guys who all fought and best each other. Abraham went 12 with Froch and Ward. He just went 12 with Murray too. But GGG worked Murray pretty bad. There is some overlap here.

Kessler beat Froch, and lost once to Froch. Lost against Ward and got whooped by Calzaghe.

Ward's best wins are Froch and the guy who beat Froch once and lost to him once.

So really, Froch is his big win. The same Froch when he had a chance to fight GGG said this, "Just swerve Golovkin like the plague. He punches like a mule. I don’t need to be in with him. Dangerous fight.”

Froch when it was realistic to fight GGG wouldn't even think about it. This was about the same time Ward first said nope. What gets me both came back when GGG was getting titles, and heavier name recognition and wanted absurd conditions to fight.
                  People tend to over rate the fighter they like resume when trying to win a debate. Ward has a good resume but you have some fools on here acting like he has an ATG, Ray Leonard type resume.

I find it funny how Kessler was dismissed after losing to Calzaghe but became a great fighter after losing to Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet_Science2 View Post
                    Pussie g's whole career is straight trash. You can't think of one fighter he fought that could even sniff the HOF. The fact that he is 34 and refused to move up ONE weight class and fight fighters because people in his division or garbage and don't want to fight him is straight wack.

Just imagine if: Cotto, Mayweather, De La Hoya, Pacquiao. Hopkins, Hatton, Broner, etc... all stayed in one weak ass division and couldn't get any big fights and was scared to move up? Imagine Broner staying at 135 beating everybody but not moving up. I wanna see this fight but if lil g can't get a big fight after this, stop wasting time and move up and fight much better comp who is not afraid or straight garbage. And 90% of 160 straight garbage
                    His resume I agree isn't all that impressive. But he has tried to fight everyone in the MW division. Only Eubank is up for the challenge it appears. Hopefully he'll be moving to SM division after this fight. Unless some of these fighters step up (Canelo, BJS)

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingFan85 View Post
                      Don't get me wrong but you do realize that Golovkin is fighting one of the Eubank and not both right.. I see this is a common pattern that the guy is called Eubanks..
                      Maybe my grammars off but I think I used the s right. Like if I say porter defense I'm pretty sure that's wrong and saying porters defense is the correct way of saying it. Putting an s at the end of the word doesn't always make it plural.

If wanted to say Eubanks chin it doesn't mean I'm saying both chin. I'll use Jrs to stop the confusion lol.
                      Last edited by cork; 06-27-2016, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X