PBC/NBC done at the end of this year?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBC/NBC done at the end of this year?

From Dan Rafael's chat:

J from BK (Fury's Designated Driver) (Taking the Test)
    Danimal, with the NBC PBC card drawing the most putrid ratings thus far, any chance NBC cuts it's losses and refuses to put on another PBC card without some of Haymon's more knwon names?

Dan Rafael, King Fight Freak (1:13 PM)
    No, why would they? Haymon already bought the time. But I am told that at the end of this year, when the PBC/NBC deal expires, NBC is done with it.
    http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ith-dan-rafael

This is after he reported this a week ago:

NBC Sports executive Luis Ferrer, one of the point people in negotiating the deal with Al Haymon to bring Premier Boxing Champions to the network in 2015, is leaving effective Friday. Ferrer, who worked as an HBO Sports boxing executive for 10 years before joining NBC in 2013, plans to remain in boxing.
    http://www.espn.co.uk/blog/dan-rafae...vyweight-title
    Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 06-24-2016, 10:13 PM.

Damn so much for al Haymon taking over boxing

Comment

I really liked the concept of PBC but I think they have done a horrible job of executing..

You can't build an audience with so many channels, times, days that Pbc was scheduling. All the fighters have the same brand awareness that they had when this started.. I have said from the beginning that pbc needed to one time buy with one channel and have a weekly show.. Same day, same time, every week.. For example like spikeTV on Saturday nights.. Spike always has a bunch of combat sports on Friday nights and boxing would have been a great lead-in to a Saturday night boxing program.. They also should have used four man tournaments to establish their own champs, and made the best matchups possible everytime, much like how major mma organizations do.. At best they could have built an audience and grown boxing into a more mainstream sport, at worst they would have carved out a nice niche, similar to bellator..

I'm a hardcore boxing fan, but even I have trouble keeping track of pbc fight schedule let alone a casual fan trying to keep up...

Comment

Why are they putting fighters people on here think weren't going to get good numbers anyway on primetime NBC?

Comment

CBS and FOX have always been the two hopes. CBS because they are affiliated with Showtime and FOX because they will lose the UFC to ESPN when their deal is up.

It's probably best that PBC fails though. 1.5 years into this experiment and the best fights we've had are Thurman-Porter, Thurman-Guerrero, and LSC-Mares. ****ing pathetic!

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            I really liked the concept of PBC but I think they have done a horrible job of executing..

You can't build an audience with so many channels, times, days that Pbc was scheduling. All the fighters have the same brand awareness that they had when this started.. I have said from the beginning that pbc needed to one time buy with one channel and have a weekly show.. Same day, same time, every week.. For example like spikeTV on Saturday nights.. Spike always has a bunch of combat sports on Friday nights and boxing would have been a great lead-in to a Saturday night boxing program.. They also should have used four man tournaments to establish their own champs, and made the best matchups possible everytime, much like how major mma organizations do.. At best they could have built an audience and grown boxing into a more mainstream sport, at worst they would have carved out a nice niche, similar to bellator..

I'm a hardcore boxing fan, but even I have trouble keeping track of pbc fight schedule let alone a casual fan trying to keep up...

Bounce TV, BET, I don't even know what those channels are.

You're 100% spot on with what you posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post
              CBS and FOX have always been the two hopes. CBS because they are affiliated with Showtime and FOX because they will lose the UFC to ESPN when their deal is up.

It's probably best that PBC fails though. 1.5 years into this experiment and the best fights we've had are Thurman-Porter, Thurman-Guerrero, and LSC-Mares. ****ing pathetic!
              I agree but would also add espn and spiketv to the list..

Espn
              CBS/showtime
              Fox
              SpikeTV

Those 4 seemed to get all the big pbc fights, and are the best options to give pbc a deal.. But honestly, they won't get a deal unless they have a massive audience like NFL, NBA, which they don't have.. Or if they can show growth like mma, xgames, and pbc hasn't showed that as well.. Ratings are either stagnant or down, and in a year and a half, they really haven't showed any type of growth.. They need Porter-thurman to do like 4+ million to show some growth and ability to land big numbers with big fights..

Comment

There is a ****storm going on over at HBO and nobody is talking about. Nobody is even attempting to figure out what's going on at HBO. Everything is PBC. Vinyl cost HBO $100 mil and it was canceled. HBO launched Bill Simmons website and his new show and both are doing horrible. His debut show this past Wednesday did 260k in ratings. Bill Simmons salary alone could fund Postol vs Crawford and Ward vs Kovalev. But let's just keep focusing on PBC

Comment

Not a sport worth investing in right now, started PBC probably a few years too late but that is only 1 Network so that doesn't mean the end of PBC or anything like that

PBC fails nobody becomes Free Agents and start jumping to other Promotions and HBO or anything like that like some fans think and are hoping for, they likely just head back to Showtime which they already started doing anyway

The Sport IN GENERAL not just PBC, is in a very bad spot right now, casuals and mainstream media have complete turned off boxing because it is no more Mayweather and Pacquiao to talk about. Everybody will Struggle, HBO ratings are struggle, PPV Numbers I think will come back awful for the next few PPV Events that are coming up.
                  Last edited by sicko; 06-24-2016, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigeons View Post

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                    I agree but would also add espn and spiketv to the list..

Espn
                    CBS/showtime
                    Fox
                    SpikeTV
                    Yeah, I don't know about ESPN, we've seen a significant drop in the matchups and ratings on ESPN just like we've seen with NBC.

When I saw the PBC/ESPN schedule for this summer with the dates all clustered together, it looked kind of like they were just dumping the dates to get through them quickly.

I have no idea if that's the case, but that's kinda what it looked like.

Plus, one of the main PBC contacts at ESPN (Kweder) is no longer at the network.
                    Last edited by Mitchell Kane; 06-24-2016, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X