Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Golden Boy lists possible opponents for Canelo's September PPV. Will you buy it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
    Really? I can't see that at all if I'm honest.

There's quite a few fighters I'd pick to comprehensively beat Smith: Charlo bros, Lara, Andrade, Canelo etc. Probably Cotto and trout too.
    The Charlos? The guys who do the exact same thing, at the exact same speed, round after round?? I really doubt they beat a fighter like Smith who can adapt.
    Andrade just doesn't have it mentally IMO. Cotto is my guy so I will always support him but Smith would be a hard fight at this stage of his career. Trout isn't the same fighter he was 3-4 years ago so hard to tell where he stands.

I'm not some huge fan, I just don't rate anyone bar Canelo/GGG/Lara/Cotto/BJS that highly around 154/160. I think Smith could prove to be a part of that list.

Comment

The fans have spoken they want the Golovkin fight I will stream his fight refuse to pay anything towards him.

Comment

If they took Billy Joe Saunders at one-sixty there is no way they could gift the decision to Canelo. The schooling would be so complete and thorough.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
          The Charlos? The guys who do the exact same thing, at the exact same speed, round after round?? I really doubt they beat a fighter like Smith who can adapt.
          Andrade just doesn't have it mentally IMO. Cotto is my guy so I will always support him but Smith would be a hard fight at this stage of his career. Trout isn't the same fighter he was 3-4 years ago so hard to tell where he stands.

I'm not some huge fan, I just don't rate anyone bar Canelo/GGG/Lara/Cotto/BJS that highly around 154/160. I think Smith could prove to be a part of that list.
          Yeah but they are huge man and can punch. Good footwork and movement. I like them both a lot. But I like the guy who was champ before the other day more. I can't tell which is which. I think they will move up to 160 soon though.

Andrade is potentially the best if he can get it together. I agree Cotto and Trout are not what they were, but they would still be tough.

I think it's hard to judge since he hasn't really fought anyone.

Comment

ODLH: Wire me $400K per year and I'll be your much needed PR man, saying things like: "We are 100% focused on securing a fight with GGG for the 160lb belts. We're NOT considering any other opponent until we've exhausted all our efforts for the GGG fight." Seriously, does anyone on Team Canelo/GBP have any clue how badly their destroying Canelo's image with their current actions/inactions?

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
              Yeah but they are huge man and can punch. Good footwork and movement. I like them both a lot. But I like the guy who was champ before the other day more. I can't tell which is which. I think they will move up to 160 soon though.

Andrade is potentially the best if he can get it together. I agree Cotto and Trout are not what they were, but they would still be tough.

I think it's hard to judge since he hasn't really fought anyone.
              I agree with pretty much all this. I think the only question is if Smith's punch and resistance is at world level. To me his skills clearly are, so if he has no punch or proves brittle against the bigger ,more experienced JMW's he will go the way of Macklin/Barker.

But.....If his left hooks to the body prove effective and his guard doesn't crumble under the first sign of duress I'm convinced he will beat some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                These guys just care about the money now, nothing else. They don't have pride, anything.
                In happens in all walks of life, somewhere along the way the values and principles that they started off with become subsumed to those of selfish capitalism. Bottom line. It becomes business.

I'm not here to bare witness to business decisions. I'm here to be entertained, in one way or another. This whole scenario is easily solved. If he's here to make money and we're here to be entertained. Then in order for us to give him our money he needs to entertain us. If he doesn't then he doesn't get paid.

The problem of course is that as a collective, we, the great unwashed of boxing fandom, seem incapable of pursuing anything but instant gratification. Even if we know its not coming! Rather than abstain from a fight or two for a far richer and more rewarding long term gain we run straight back to the fighters and promoters we've been slating and stand in line to take turns guzzling their piss.

It's pathetic on our part. Little wonder we get treated with so much contempt.

Comment

Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
                  You really think the Porter can't happen if he beats Thurman? Canelo is the new Floyd in the sense that one good win and you might get the money fight.
                  First I'm not expecting him to beat Thurman, granted its an evenish fight, but I believe Thurman is the likely winner. Second & more importantly I tend to doubt GBP & Haymon will work together til their lawsuit is figured out. Maybe it gets figured out within the next month or so to setup a Sept. fight, but I wouldn't bet on it. So sure anything is possible & who wouldn't want a nice Canelo fight caliber payday, but this fight is highly improbable from the way I'm seeing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    First I'm not expecting him to beat Thurman, granted its an evenish fight, but I believe Thurman is the likely winner. Second & more importantly I tend to doubt GBP & Haymon will work together til their lawsuit is figured out. Maybe it gets figured out within the next month or so to setup a Sept. fight, but I wouldn't bet on it. So sure anything is possible & who wouldn't want a nice Canelo fight caliber payday, but this fight is highly improbable from the way I'm seeing it.
                    Hmmm....Good point. I also feel Thurman is the favorite.

Comment

I think Cotto rematch or Liam Smith is more REALISTIC! What would be the point of dropping a Middleweight Title but then turning around fighting Jacobs or Billy Joe? That would really make Canelo look BAD!

Comment

Working...
                      X