Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is boxing in it's worst state in modern history?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sicko View Post
    Nobody is earning anything and fans enable them and make it so that they don't have to earn anything and they get away with taking the easiest route to greatness as possible

Guys score some decent wins and they think they're "A-Side Fighters"

I don't know about the Worst but it is not good! Guys can't fight inside, guys can't cut the ring off, some guys don't even have a proper jab but they have a fanbase that will argue that these guys are so "Great"
    it's not about skill. it's about heart!! COURAAAAGGGGEE!!!!!! this is what boxing is lacking big time. there is no more heart and heorism in this sport anymore. manny pacquiao didn't have much of a jab but what he had was heart. the heart to become a great ATG boxer respected world wide. where is this now????????? all u have are "smart" businessman in this sport looking to cash-in while doing the LEAST POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

boxing is a sport for loser wannabe businessmen. it's not about warriors willing to bleed their soul and take risks.

Comment

Originally posted by buddyguns View Post
      There are twelve fight cards taking place today across ten countries (Belgium, Brazil, Hungary, India, Italy, South Korea, Russia, South Africa, Spain, and the U.K.). You can cheerlead Dana Whites idiotic promotional assertions all you want, but it doesn't necessarily make them true. One quick look at UFC PPV numbers shows an up and down cycle. Not constant growth...an up and down cycle. Numbers don't lie, but fat promoters that have never been in a fight do.
      Basing the progression of MMA on their fans gullibility to trust a promoters words...I'd say it's still in it's infancy.

Here's a breakdown of the numbers for you. Since the UFC has lost it's two biggest stars in the last year, guess which direction the numbers will head for their next PPV.

http://mmapayout.com/blue-book/pay-per-view/
      fights no one cares about. again. NO ONE CARES ABOUT BOXING. it's just an absolutely mediocre sport on the brink of collapse. good riddance. u can look at ppv but that doesnt tell even close to whole story.

boxers arent nearly as admired as mma stars. TRUTH. female mma fighters are more respected and popular than boxing "stars". TRUTH.

Comment

That's a hard point to verify. Like with music, people only remember the good stuff. The crap an era produced gets forgotten over time.

It's definitely bad though. Ricky Burns is a three division 'world champion'. Adrien Broner is a four division 'world champion'. #1 vs #2 fights are incredibly rare. Promotional divides are making lots of match-ups into non-runners. Very ordinary fights are proving very difficult to make. Ratings are down. And there are long gaps in the schedule.

It's really not good. You have to look at the sport in 12 month chunks to find a selection of fights worth being excited about.

Comment

Nah...I think at has to do with being young and not having an open eye to the corruption and politics. Also social media gives you 24/7 access to negotiations so stuff that used to go on behind the scenes is now public information.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Hammer View Post
            fights no one cares about. again. NO ONE CARES ABOUT BOXING. it's just an absolutely mediocre sport on the brink of collapse. good riddance. u can look at ppv but that doesnt tell even close to whole story.

boxers arent nearly as admired as mma stars. TRUTH. female mma fighters are more respected and popular than boxing "stars". TRUTH.

You don't even believe that yourself. :/

The most popular mma fighters that anyone (if anyone actually recognized them lol) would "know" are Ronda, Chuck Lidell, Mcgregor, Couture, and Brock Lesnar. Notice a trend? Mighty mouse could be standing in line infront of you and nobody would notice. Prestige? Lol.. Entire COUNTRIES get behind boxers. The majority of MMA fans couldnt even come up with a top 3 per division... It's basically if Joe Rogan or Dana hype someone...it must be true. I really enjoy mma but when Cain Velasquez walks around mexico as the hw (former) champ and nobody knows who he is in a fight culture it tells you a lot. Mma has a looooooong way to go....especially if you're not white.

"we'd notice em in a bar down in alabama! That means da werld! "

Comment

Funny you would say that. Two of the biggest stars in recent MMA history had to use a boxers name to promote their careers.

Once again, your insistence to push Dana White's opinion doesn't make it an absolute truth. Hell, there isn't even a single absolute truth in this world. Truth is subjective to perception.

As for the death of boxing...it's not happening. Somehow in your mind, you've convinced yourself to buy into a promoters perception. Answer one question, do you truly believe that boxing promoters constantly throw fight cards every day while they're hemorrhaging money? Before you foolishly answer that, consider how well boxing is selling in the U.K., Ghana, Russia, and Mexico right now. Follow the numbers!

But back to my original statement...why? Why do you tirelessly give a boxing website so many unique clicks only to trash the sport? I'm no psychiatrist, but it seems counter intuitive. If you believe the sport is dying, why are you attempting to breath life into it by stabbing it?

Comment

boxers are being extremely overpaid and that's one of the reasons why its dying out. its not self sustainable with these big paydays. paying someone big money to have fights that are noncompetitive and no one cares about doesn't work. mayweather vs pac was the nail in the coffin. MANY people realized why they stopped watching boxing in the first place. u cant judge a popularity of a sport by how much the athletes make.

mma is without a doubt much more respected sport than boxing. it's not even close. wwe is more popular than boxing. athletes from other sports are recognized world wide. tennis stars, basketball stars, soccer/football stars, mma stars, are internationally recognized easily. many people in the US don't know who mayweather is.

boxing is for losers.
                I actually like the MMA and their fighters. I wouldn't be making fun of it except for your vicious attack on boxing. Since you make it clear you hate boxing and only visit here to laugh at us you are obviously just looking for a fight with us boxing lovers. I am just giving you the fight you want. There are lots of things wrong with boxing today that I don't like but I still love boxing and always will. Boxing will still be here after you die so get used to it. Why can't you judge the popularity of a sport from how much the athletes get paid? Football and basketball stars make even more ridiculous money than boxers because those sports are so popular in the USA. That money isn't falling out of the sky. It's coming from paying fans of the sport. If boxers are overpaid MMA fighters are surely underpaid for risking their health in such a brutal sport. Greedy promoters like Dana White make most of the money and orders them around like mindless, powerless puppets. I'll bet Mayweather is better known world wide than any tennis star or MMA fighter or soccer player although it can't be proven one way or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
                  You don't even believe that yourself. :/

The most popular mma fighters that anyone (if anyone actually recognized them lol) would "know" are Ronda, Chuck Lidell, Mcgregor, Couture, and Brock Lesnar. Notice a trend? Mighty mouse could be standing in line infront of you and nobody would notice. Prestige? Lol.. Entire COUNTRIES get behind boxers. The majority of MMA fans couldnt even come up with a top 3 per division... It's basically if Joe Rogan or Dana hype someone...it must be true. I really enjoy mma but when Cain Velasquez walks around mexico as the hw (former) champ and nobody knows who he is in a fight culture it tells you a lot. Mma has a looooooong way to go....especially if you're not white.

"we'd notice em in a bar down in alabama! That means da werld! "
                  Serious truth! MMA has a long way to go for sure. There isn't any international amateur leagues to develop the youth. I actually believe that's half the reason that their fighters have weak chins.

Besides that, the sport is still young and it's biggest league already has lawsuits kicking them in the dick daily. We haven't even seen MMA fighters start to wise up and challenge their slave contracts. That will be a funny one.

As for boxing, I believe that the fighters are attempting to correct the market in their favor. We might not be getting all of the fights that we want right now, but they're on the doorstep.

Comment

it's not about skill. it's about heart!! COURAAAAGGGGEE!!!!!! this is what boxing is lacking big time. there is no more heart and heorism in this sport anymore. manny pacquiao didn't have much of a jab but what he had was heart. the heart to become a great ATG boxer respected world wide. where is this now????????? all u have are "smart" businessman in this sport looking to cash-in while doing the LEAST POSSIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!

boxing is a sport for loser wannabe businessmen. it's not about warriors willing to bleed their soul and take risks.
                    One quick google search shows who takes more risks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...ined_in_boxing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatali..._arts_contests

Little kids get broken bones falling off of bikes. Don't act like it's the ultimate sacrifice to sport.

Comment

Yea I'd say it's at it's worst There's no way in hell Manny or Floyd would have been Top Welters Hell at 140 Arron Pryor or Julio Cesar Chavez would have smoked them Hell neither would have won a belt at 154 can You imagine todays fighter who wanted to compete with Julian Jackson or Terry Norris at 154 or 152 for Floyd. Deontay Wilder would not be Champ I doubt if he would beat a Holyfield or Riddick Bowe I doubt he beats an Old George Foreman

Comment

Working...
                      X