No announcement yet.

why aren't industry articles titling, "Lara Wants Golovkin At 160" - Shields

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
    Id agree if he didnt fight Monroe Jr and his handlers weren't mentioning Ramirez,Retired Froch and Chavez Jr and retired Mayweather
    All of those mentioned are good fights though, would have closer odds than Lara for example.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
      beating the #10 MW six times doesn't make a resume; I know folks love to ignore context, but you've got to acknowledge reality.

Golovkin has been ducked by all of two people; Felix Sturm and Sergio Martinez; every other "duck" has been slip service pushed by his camp (K2 getting put on blast for lowballing Billy Joe Saunders, on a fight where most of the event's actual revenues would derive from the UK, and paying Willie Monroe Jr[a guy that they wanted to push as being a more meaningful fight than Erislandy Lara] $100k makes it pretty obvious that K2 is funny with the money).

With Golovkin demonstrably ducking Andre Ward and his camp seemingly wanting no part of Erislandy Lara, I'd call that even on the ducks, lol.

If you earnestly believe that Gennady Golovkin, yet to ever fight anyone even kind of considered quality, is a top-5 p4p fighter, you played yourself.
      Lol at you played yourself, classic dildio2009. It's not just that poster dummy, all respectable rankings have him top 3. Roach has him #1.

Lol at even on the ducks after Canelo just pulled duck of the century. Dildo guy always bringing the lols

Comment

• Originally posted by The Ninth Layer View Post
        My eyes and my brain tell me that a pressure fighter like Angulo was all over Lara, gave him hell and nearly took him out. Canelo who by no means is an exceptional fighter had him backing up and caught him plenty. Golovkin is a better pressure fighter than either guy, not to mention a far better finisher. He has a granite chin, which nobody expects Lara to dent, and a devastating jab.

There's a chance Lara could make it a sloppy, tricky outside fight and stay competitive through 12 rounds. It's not a victory that many people are clamoring to see, though. And Lara on his face will look worse to casual observers than any current top 10 middleweight.

If Lara had competed once in the middleweight division I would agree with you that he's a better choice for Golovkin than a Eubank Jr. Right now though he's worse. At least people can envision Eubank hurting Golovkin at some point.
        Golovkin is a mid-range fighter, winging in his own heavy shots behind that pokey jab that he uses for simple activity; if you can point to a single fight where Golovkin was happy to actually fight on the inside and stay on the inside at short range, I'd like to know.

Erislandy Lara is most comfortable when he can fight long-range, can control the medium range with his footwork/boxing brain, and things only ever really go bad for him when his opponent gets in on the short range on him.

With Golovkin largely looking to keep the fight in that mid-range, while also seemingly needing to have his feet set to fire his own shots (which Lara would basically spend the entire fight refusing to give him), the fight plays out far worse than people seem to think (even in the beating that Lara took in the Angulo fight, he still got up ready to fight, eventually stopping Angulo in his own right).

I can't fathom a fight where Golovkin commits enough to fighting at short-range to beat Lara in 6/7 of 12 rounds (if the power is legit and Golovkin chins Lara, the argument is mute, but I earnestly doubt that that actually happens); maybe I'm wrong, but the man hasn't done it in ten years as a pro, so I doubt he does it on the fly.

Comment

• Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
          All of those mentioned are good fights though, would have closer odds than Lara for example.
          Naw man, i say just fight the man, no excuses needed to be honest

Comment

• Originally posted by larryxxx... View Post
            Naw man, i say just fight the man, no excuses needed to be honest
            So you don't think those are more appealing fight? Or is it just one that makes you uncomfortable? But who's the man? On paper it was Canelo till recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              Just to point out, it's odd how you've managed to find a way to try and justify hate for basically every Black fighter with any modicum of public profile (with the exception of Kell Brook, who you like), for reasons/rationale that would literally have no effect on any other fighters.
              Which do you disagree with?

And you forgot Broner...Or do you think he deserves his hate??

Comment

• Originally posted by ThumperMcDougal View Post
                It's the same thing. GGG wanting Mayweather and Pacquiao is strictly a business decision. Same with Canelo, except Canelo had the WBC middleweight title... so that made it also a business mandatory.

Lara is looking for his slice of the business pie... and he's asking for GGG. It's one sided business for Lara imo. I wouldn't mind seeing this fight at all... I was just asking what was in it for Golovkin?

Not trolling. Just asking what business sense did it make for GGG. I would think he would make a Lara kind of fight after he unified first.

Yep, I'd love to see Lara and Golovkin fight. Just like you.
                Why are you suggesting I would not like to see the fight? Yes Lara may hit the deck ...Even get knocked out...But I think he can win and If GGG walks in without respect Lara may clip him.

Comment

• I would really like to see Lara vs GGG, it actually could happen. I don't see many other fighters even considering it, so sign the contract and lets see the fight!

Comment

• Originally posted by ThumperMcDougal View Post
                    It's the same thing. GGG wanting Mayweather and Pacquiao is strictly a business decision. Same with Canelo, except Canelo had the WBC middleweight title... so that made it also a business mandatory.

Lara is looking for his slice of the business pie... and he's asking for GGG. It's one sided business for Lara imo. I wouldn't mind seeing this fight at all... I was just asking what was in it for Golovkin?

Not trolling. Just asking what business sense did it make for GGG. I would think he would make a Lara kind of fight after he unified first.

Yep, I'd love to see Lara and Golovkin fight. Just like you.
                    Golovkin brings nowhere near the money to the table that his camp want to believe that he brings. Mayweather-Berto had ringside seats going for $1500, with the cost being $125 to even be in the building; what Golovkin fan out there is honestly going to go into their pocket and pay $1500 (plus the cost of room in Las Vegas, whatever travel costs, and entertainment cost) to see Golovkin fight who wouldn't have paid that money to simply come out to see Floyd?

The Golovkin "pie" is nowhere near as big as Golovkin fans claim it to be:

-outside of the $2m NY gate mentioned by Tom Loeffler, K2 has never made mention of any dollar figure that Golovkin has been able to draw on his gates

-With Loeffler again being the only source, Golovkin's 150k PPV buys (~$3m into the fight pot, once everyone else gets paid) was so star-making that HBO decided to immediately move him back to premium cable on not try to build things on PPV.

Once all of the outside en****** have been paid, I doubt that a Golovkin fight, sans the PPV, has ever actually cleared $3m in fight proceeds. If Golovkin were actually the draw that people seem to claim he is, Billy Joe Saunders couldn't hold him hostage over fighting in the UK.

What's in it for Golovkin? The opportunity to end any doubt about his actual fighting ability in the non-casual boxing audience; even Max Kellerman, with his boxing reputation on the line, is no longer willing to push the "OMG, Golovkin destroys another guy! isn't he marvelous!" story.

With Lara on the resume, the boxing world can point to an actual legit guy that he's throttled (if things go the way folks here believe, which I doubt) when trying to sell Golovkin to the broader sports world.

Comment

• Originally posted by PivotandRoll View Post
                      Which do you disagree with?

And you forgot Broner...Or do you think he deserves his hate??
                      First off , the fact that Wilder's hate is somehow justified while Golovkin not getting any critique is okay (Wilder was definitely brought along slowly as a pro, but I doubt that a case can be made that Wilder's five best opponents were honestly worse than Golovkin's five best opponents in quality.

Stiverne, Duhaupas, Szpilka, Molina, and Scott is a far tougher string of opponents than Murray, Lemieux, Geale, Rosado, and Macklin.

Broner jumped the shark once he went on his "Can man" rant, got pushback for it, and then went right back to it on the biggest stage that he's likely had; his hate, at that point, was earned by something that he actually did.

Comment

Working...
                      X