Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Its been clear that no1 discusses fantasy fights with mayweather @ 130-140 because

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
    How do you overrate a guy that is one of the greatest lightweights of all time?Was undisputed champion and the kingpin of the division for almost a decade. This is a guy that was already considered an ATG by the time he jumped to welterweight, beat Leonard and he was only 29 years old. He could of never fought again and his legacy was signed, sealed and delivered. Anything he did after that only enhances his legacy, it does'nt take away from it.

Do you think Floyd would be overrated if he had jumped up to fight GGG or Ward and lost? Because that is what people basicly have to resort to to try and claim Duran is overrated.
    I think he is a little overrated because of his lightweight reign

the era wasnt as deep as those right before it and after it....the era before had guys like Carlos Ortiz, Ken Buchanan and Ismael Laguna, Teo Cruz etc....and the era after had Mancini, Camacho, Arguello, chavez and roger mayweather....IMO the last great era at 135 was deeper as well....Stevie Johnston, Corrales, Castillo, Mayweather, Casamayor, Freitas, Spadafora.

he dominated a decent era at 135, kudos for the success after beating leonard but he didnt beat a lot of great competition below 135 and above it he was inconsistent. Maybe he wasnt as dedicated but thats an excuse and part of being great is showing up in the best possible condition.

He is definitely top 20 all time but I have an issue with having him as high as top 5(where some "experts" have him) when its guys like Kid Chocolate, Jimmy McCLarnin, Tony Canzoneri who beat better competition yet they get forgotten because they fought in the 20s-30s

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
      I think he is a little overrated because of his lightweight reign

the era wasnt as deep as those right before it and after it....the era before had guys like Carlos Ortiz, Ken Buchanan and Ismael Laguna, Teo Cruz etc....and the era after had Mancini, Camacho, Arguello, chavez and roger mayweather....IMO the last great era at 135 was deeper as well....Stevie Johnston, Corrales, Castillo, Mayweather, Casamayor, Freitas, Spadafora.

he dominated a decent era at 135, kudos for the success after beating leonard but he didnt beat a lot of great competition below 135 and above it he was inconsistent. Maybe he wasnt as dedicated but thats an excuse and part of being great is showing up in the best possible condition.

He is definitely top 20 all time but I have an issue with having him as high as top 5(where some "experts" have him) when its guys like Kid Chocolate, Jimmy McCLarnin, Tony Canzoneri who beat better competition yet they get forgotten because they fought in the 20s-30s
      Agree for the most part, but my problem is that people seem to think that his inconsistency or L's past 135 somehow hurt his legacy, which it does'nt. This is a guy that started out at 122lbs and did'nt start talking his L's until he hit 154. Like I said, anything good he accomplished after that first Leonard fight is icing on the cake.

Comment

Agree for the most part, but my problem is that people seem to think that his inconsistency or L's past 135 somehow hurt his legacy, which it does'nt. This is a guy that started out at 122lbs and did'nt start talking his L's until he hit 154. Like I said, anything good he accomplished after that first Leonard fight is icing on the cake.
        losses do count against you though bro...thats like saying if mayweather took losses at 147-154 it wouldnt affect his legacy...it would have

Comment

losses do count against you though bro...thats like saying if mayweather took losses at 147-154 it wouldnt affect his legacy...it would have
          Yes

For this reason I have more faith in Armstrong vs Pernell or Floyd

Who says Duran wouldn't have a No Mas meltdown when Floyd or Pernell make him miss

Comment

I disagree completely. If that were the case. Would SRR, Hank Armstrong or Ali be considered the greatest? Does anyone really give a **** about SRR's career after he retired after the Maxim loss? Does anyone really give a **** that Ali lost to Leon Spinks? Do 21 losses take away from Armstrong's greatness? No and the reason why is because you can't just discount what has already been accomplished. Losing does'nt change what you have done beforehand.

To answer your question. No, losing a couple of fights would'nt change my opinion on Floyd. Floyd's 0 is'nt what impresses me about him. Everyone in boxing takes L's outside of a handful of outliers.

Comment

I disagree completely. If that were the case. Would SRR, Hank Armstrong or Ali be considered the greatest? Does anyone really give a **** about SRR's career after he retired after the Maxim loss? Does anyone really give a **** that Ali lost to Leon Spinks? Do 21 losses take away from Armstrong's greatness? No and the reason why is because you can't just discount what has already been accomplished. Losing does'nt change what you have done beforehand.

To answer your question. No, losing a couple of fights would'nt change my opinion on Floyd. Floyd's 0 is'nt what impresses me about him. Everyone in boxing takes L's outside of a handful of outliers.
              Spinks loss doesn't count against Ali but he is lauded for being the 1st to win the HWT title 3 times. That means that the Spinks loss needs to count against him to a degree.

It's hard to celebrate a win so greatly and totally discount the loss that led to that win.

It doesn't change what ali did previously but it should count against him when comparing him with other ATG's that didn't lose to a fighter of that level at that time in their career.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                Spinks loss doesn't count against Ali but he is lauded for being the 1st to win the HWT title 3 times. That means that the Spinks loss needs to count against him to a degree.

It's hard to celebrate a win so greatly and totally discount the loss that led to that win.

It doesn't change what ali did previously but it should count against him when comparing him with other ATG's that didn't lose to a fighter of that level at that time in their career.
                Ali gets lauded becuase of the level of opposition he beat. The three titles are just icing on the cake. He does'nt take **** for the L because he was way past his prime and already showing signs of Parkinsons.

Comment

Ali gets lauded becuase of the level of opposition he beat. The three titles are just icing on the cake. He does'nt take **** for the L because he was way past his prime and already showing signs of Parkinsons.
                  He absolutely is remembered as the 1st man to capture the HWT title 3 times. If he beats Spinks he never achieves that.

He doesn't need to take **** for the loss. One can factor that into his overall body of work in an adult, mature way.

Comment

why are his fantasy fights that are discussed on this site always at 147...the guys started at 130 and was at his peak at 130-140.....147-154 were just classes he was champ in because he is great fighter not a great welterweight per say
                    I mean the guy did fight at 147 or above for about 8 years. I'd say most people that stay in a weight class that long probably just get remembered for Their time there.

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet Jones View Post
                      Prepare yourself for an onslaught of the unbeatable 'the Duran Of Montreal' posts.
                      People only say that because it's true. How many fights in Montreal did Duran lose?

Comment

Working...
                      X