Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canelo/Khan: HBO not releasing "awful" numbers. Glaser: 322k is the number! PPV Dead?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canelo/Khan: HBO not releasing "awful" numbers. Glaser: 322k is the number! PPV Dead?

HBO said they will not be releasing official PPV numbers for Canelo Khan, that is quite surprising, the numbers must be extremely low and would possibly interfere with the Canelo GGG negotiations and would put more pressure on Canelo. Oscar, when asked before the fight, claimed the PPV would do "a million buys".

Rick Glaser now posted on his facebook page

HBO said today they are not going to announce a PPV buy number for Canelo-Khan, but we have the humber, 332.000 buys and that is horrible, that's why the "no announcement".

Badlefthook also made a story today:

http://www.badlefthook.com/2016/5/11...-rumored-to-be

Now, you don't have to trust this, but (1) he's really got no reason to lie, and (2) no one's going to prove him wrong, either. This is, for now, the number we're working with. ESPN.com or someone else will also float numbers they've heard this week, from sources in the cable and satellite industries, and HBO and Golden Boy will either be silent or will deny the claims, without providing a number back. We've seen it happen before, such as Showtime Sports balking at claims that Mayweather-Guerrero did around 800-850,000 buys in 2013, without releasing anything official. They also didn't confirm the low buys for Mayweather-Berto in 2015, or the sub-one million buys for the two Mayweather-Maidana fights in 2014.

But let's go deeper than just blaming Amir Khan's lack of star power or questioning sources and numbers that are out there. HBO saying they won't release the number, passing the buck to Golden Boy, who are unlikely to release the number, is enough of a sign that this pay-per-view was a dud. Whether that means 332,000 or 400,000 or 450,000 is not really important.

What is important is that Canelo Alvarez alone cannot sell a pay-per-view, at least if you're putting it on him to go above 300,000 without a good matchup.
    A couple hours later Golden Boy reported that it did just "below 600k buys".

1.) They have a reason to lie, to not weaken Canelos starpower and negotiation power in his future fights, specially against GGG.

2.) 332k is below 600k.

Even if 322k is wrong and the real number is about 400-450k, then this number speaks a clear message.

You have to listen to the fans, they will only pay for fights they ask for!

They want Canelo vs GGG not Canelo vs another handpicked welterweight.

Also the May Pac fiasco hurt the PPV model endlessly. Fans waited 6 years for this fight and it came way too late, both guys old and out of their prime, one supposedly injured.

Boxing fans will never put up with that again.

Who knows if the PPV model will ever recover. Let's see how many PPVs Canelo vs GGG can generate. If it does less than Canelo vs Cotto then the model is dead.

Hopefully this all sends a clear message to Golden Boy to make Canelo GGG in September.

It actually did right under 600k.

Way better than 97k.

Comment

Originally posted by Omowale Tribe View Post
      It actually did right under 600k.

Way better than 97k.

Canelo, the face of boxing, so called biggest star in the sport doing 332k against a very well known fighter.

GGG in his first PPV against a pretty unknown canadian fighter does 150k

Cotto in his first PPV = 60k

Cotto vs Canelo = 900k

I'd say it doesn't look too bad for GGG when you put it like that.

This thread isn't about haters like you though.

It's about the landscape of boxing and if this actually helps making the fights the fans want to see.
      Last edited by Jubei; 05-12-2016, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubei View Post

Canelo, the face of boxing, so called biggest star in the sport doing 332k against a very well known fighter.

GGG in his first PPV against a pretty unknown canadian fighter does 150k

Cotto in his first PPV = 60k

Cotto vs Canelo = 900k

I'd say it doesn't look too bad for GGG when you put it like that.

This thread isn't about haters like you though.

It's about the landscape of boxing and if this actually helps making the fights the fans want to see.
        So you agree with Glasers Canelo-Khan number but not his Lil G-Lemieux number?

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
          So you agree with Glasers Canelo-Khan number but not his Lil G-Lemieux number?
          You didn't get it, i just reversed Omowale's claim.

Didn't i say, this thread is not about degenerated haters?

Comment

I hate Canelo as much as the next guy but I have industry sources who state the fight sold right around 568,200 but expect for it to raise to about 300 more within the next week.

Comment

Originally posted by GOT BEEF? View Post
              I hate Canelo as much as the next guy but I have industry sources who state the fight sold right around 568,200 but expect for it to raise to about 300 more within the next week.
              HBO won't release the numbers so we will possibly never find out.

What interests me though, can the PPV model be changed?

Make it cheaper?

Get the actual fans more involved what fights they want to pay for?

Comment

Originally posted by Jubei View Post
                HBO won't release the numbers so we will possibly never find out.

What interests me though, can the PPV model be changed?

Make it cheaper?

Get the actual fans more involved what fights they want to pay for?
                well, for starters they should make the fights availble for those who wish to purchase the Ppv but don't have cable. now obviously u dont need HBO or showtime to buy a corresponding PPV,however u do still need a CABLE/satellite provider to buy it. some people simply do not have this as they do all of their media/TV/movies online.

if it's a golden boy ppv you should ideally be able to go to golden boy . com and buy the ppv stream from there. the fact that this hasn't been played with yet is outrageous. i think top rank does it but only sometimes, however it gives you the top rank feed instead of the hbo feed which to me is not a problem.

it should warn potentials buyers first and foremost the required mbps speed required to play smoothly so lame ass poor folks dont get all pissy when it starts to get choppy on their 3DL/1UP internet plan from AOL

they also need to lower all ppv prices to $50 for HD and remove SD from the picture entirely,who the fuk buys SD anyway?might as well catch a stream.

aint that the price of UFC PPVS? also WWE PPVS?

Comment

I usually don't like to hear any boxing event didn't sell but on this I am happy it failed.

Garbage BS fight that HBO should never have approved. Then to watch certain media people get on board with this was even more disgraceful.

Khan got brutalized. Canelo's star power took a hit. HBO and fishnets lost some credibility. Perfect. Maybe now this kind of **** stops.

Bravo to boxing fans that didn't support this ****.

Comment

Good. Even more incentive to make the fight we all actually want to see.

Comment

Working...
                    X