No announcement yet.

Backing from home country has eluded Amir Khan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
    I get the impression that a lot of the new British fans simply want to back winners, which is a sad contrast to the history of British boxing and it's fans. They'll fall all over themselves to see "Haye Day" or Brook vs Nobody or Joshua vs Bum matches but won't back Khan in the most challenging and highest profile fight of his career.
    Yea, he's going to get himself hurt, but this kind of fight is what separates the true fans from the bandwagon jumpers.
    It's not even like that at all.

Khan was loved by the fans at a time when the 7/7 bombings took place and it was open season on Muslims in the UK............... he was still loved, cheered for and spurned on.

He gets slaughtered by Prescott? They still support him.

Originally posted by Eff Pandas
    You can't leave your country, lose a couple big fights outside your country, do nothing for a few more years mostly outside of your country & expect people to act like nothing happened when your next big fight comes up outside of your country. I'm sure there are still many UK fans supremely interested in this fight, but you can't expect people to act like its 2009
    This right here sums up the disconnect and complete lack of interest in him.

Comment

I find it interesting that both Fury and Khan feel they're discriminated against. I think it's not only possible, but rather likely. Racism, as a whole, is severely ignored, but those who go through it are the ones most apt to judge its presence.

There's a difference between being a White person not noticing lots of incidences involving racism, and being a minority who may be exposed to it directly. When you're the minority, it usually affects you, because it involves you. The White person can just go on with their lives and avoid those circumstances, for the most part. You may even grow detached, if you're not provided with accurate information as to what's happening.

It's like the Black Lives Matter movement. What led up to it wasn't really covered where I used to live; I remember mentioning it to someone one time, and they told me they didn't think cops were targeting minorities. Where I live now, my news channel actually covers the incidences. And there are tons of them. You really start to understand that there's a serious racism issue that never really left the United States; it was just ignored.

I went from not understanding what was going on exactly to realizing that the movement was an obvious result of constant police brutality. And I do mean constant. Every. Single. Day.

Even today.

Now.

And now. -_-
      Last edited by SunSpace; 05-05-2016, 05:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
        Khan had huge support in Britain to begin, even after getting flattened in 30 seconds by Prescott.

Then he basically left Britain, has fought here once in the last 5 years, lost another few fights and routinely makes some of the most absurd comments in boxing.

The most popular fighters in Britain fight in Britain regularly.
        Agreed especially with the last part. The likes of Degale rarely get a mention these days either and that's because they dont regularly fight in Britain.

Comment

At least they love him in pakistan. Just a shame for him that pakistan is bankrupt, potless, penniless and corrupt and wont buy his fights on ppv.

Comment

I defend his resume on here a lot but I will never like him as a person because of the sick religion he practices. No tolerance for it.

But I'm not British either. The British are very timid people and probably love him.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              You can't leave your country, lose a couple big fights outside your country, do nothing for a few more years mostly outside of your country & expect people to act like nothing happened when your next big fight comes up outside of your country. I'm sure there are still many UK fans supremely interested in this fight, but you can't expect people to act like its 2009.
              It's hard to back him I think it's because he talks the talk but doesn't walk the walk. I was a Khan supporter until he just talked way too much in recent years, I think it was last year when I turned on him i'm pretty sure.

Carl Froch sounded so delusional and he talked so much, but then you see him get big upset TKO wins like Bute and Taylor, and other high profile wins where he was favored and came through with the win like Abraham, Johnson, Pascal, Groves, Kessler rematch which was pretty close imo but still a win on his res.

You see Froch is likeable even though he talked a whole lot of **** and was annoying in calling out Calzaghe. He still built his own name and resume and even in a lot of fans opinion he surpassed Calzaghe. When you favored Froch to beat someone, he won. Even in his underdog role, he did come through.

Brook all though he needs to step up again, in his only underdog role he won, and that's what fans have in the back of their mind for the moment.

Khan on the other hand, this guy loses in the favored role and also has looked terrible versus guys of a lower level like Julio Diaz and Chris Algieri. It's just hard to root for him because it appears that he sucks.

Comment

Khan is still a popular fighter, still has a bigger fan base than Brook. He's lost the casuals interest because as people say he doesn't fight in the UK and his fights are on at 4/5 am in the morning. He's just not in the public eye as much as others.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
                  I get the impression that a lot of the new British fans simply want to back winners, which is a sad contrast to the history of British boxing and it's fans. They'll fall all over themselves to see "Haye Day" or Brook vs Nobody or Joshua vs Bum matches but won't back Khan in the most challenging and highest profile fight of his career.
                  Yea, he's going to get himself hurt, but this kind of fight is what separates the true fans from the bandwagon jumpers.
                  Not really. Fury gets no support from his home country and he's the best heavyweight in the world, while untested hype jobs like Joshua pack out arenas. Even Haye still gets more support here than Tyson does. Honestly I hope Khan doesn't lose any sleep over this. British casuals are some of the most fickle and arseholish in the world.
                  Last edited by Fury4daWIN; 05-05-2016, 07:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    You can't leave your country, lose a couple big fights outside your country, do nothing for a few more years mostly outside of your country & expect people to act like nothing happened when your next big fight comes up outside of your country. I'm sure there are still many UK fans supremely interested in this fight, but you can't expect people to act like its 2009.
                    Originally posted by gmc_rfc_06 View Post
                    Khan had huge support in Britain to begin, even after getting flattened in 30 seconds by Prescott.

Then he basically left Britain, has fought here once in the last 5 years, lost another few fights and routinely makes some of the most absurd comments in boxing.

The most popular fighters in Britain fight in Britain regularly.

You wonder why that is?

Comment

Originally posted by Box-Office View Post
                      You wonder why that is?
                      Given the support he had, there's no easy reason.

Even after the Prescott fight, fans packed out arenas to see him. Then he just left and has fought here once in Ralf a decade...That's why the support is no longer there.

Comment

Working...
                      X