Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I wish more fighters tried to become undisputed champion in their divisions like GGG

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belts don't mean anything anymore. I don't want unification fights if they aren't the best fights to be made. I want the top fighters to fight each other, not top fighters scrapping it out with mediocre fighters who happen to have a belt due to corruption.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      What do you mean? It's not like full unifications happen every day, when was the last one? If you fully unify there's not 5 champs, there s one. That's The Man, and if you wanna get anywhere at MW, you gotta face him
      Even if you fully unify..the WBA will make a regular WBA champ(just like it is at heavy right now) and WBC will make a interim or regular champion...there will always be more champions

Comment

Originally posted by Cobra_ View Post
        Wlad was trying as well until Fury beat him, and now the IBF part has been taken away taking us back a step to get a unified champion. You've also got Kovalev trying but he just can't seem to get Stevenson to fight him. I wish more fighters wanted to have all the belts.

We haven't had a true undisputed champion since 2005 which is crazy with the talent we have today.
        You do realize Fury probably unifies before GGG right? Hopefully they both do, and I agree that more fighters need to prioritize being the undisputed champ as opposed to being content with 1-2 belts.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
          I just want more fighters to fight the best, not collect alphabet titles. We all know the top 10 ranking of alphabet titles are trash, so some times trash fighters get the titles, and then trash fighters are mandos for the title. If the best fight in the division just happens to be between to titleholders then fine.

Best fight at LHW is Ward vs Kovalev, not Kovalev vs the only other title holder Stevenson..but yeah then the winner can fight Stevenson if that fight can being made.
          Regardless of how you want to order them, Ward, Kovalev, and Stevenson are the current three best fighters at 175lbs, with Fonfara nipping on their heels at #4, and from #5 on down having a clear separation from that top level.

Ward-Kovalev, Ward-Stevenson, and Stevenson-Kovalev are all barnburner fights, regardless of what folks here try to say.

Comment

I just want more fighters to fight the best, not collect alphabet titles. We all know the top 10 ranking of alphabet titles are trash, so some times trash fighters get the titles, and then trash fighters are mandos for the title. If the best fight in the division just happens to be between to titleholders then fine.

Best fight at LHW is Ward vs Kovalev, not Kovalev vs the only other title holder Stevenson..but yeah then the winner can fight Stevenson if that fight can being made.
            Note, for predictions sake, Ward beats Kovalev (stellar defense always negates stellar offense; Ward's camp did him a great service in getting him 20 good rounds for his last two fights, against solid competition), Stevenson beats Kovalev (Stevenson is going to land his bomb, and Hopkins being able to keep Kovalev off from rushing him gives me the idea that Kovalev won't handle Stevenson's power all that well), and Ward-Stevenson is a tossup fight (Ward's talent is unquestioned, but I'm not sure how he negates Stevenson's left for 36 out of 36 minutes of the fight)

Comment

Well said.

This thread sounds like an excuse for GGG fighting sub-par competition.

Comment

Rigo, Loma, and GGG are the only guys you see on interviews talking about being undisputed champion, You don't see Chocolatico, Brook, Canelo, Vargas, Garcia, Stevenson, Lara , Crawford, etc, etc event talking about unification

Comment

Working...
                X