Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the next great generation of boxers already in MMA?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
    Lmao elite fighters dont gas out in rd 2 ie Conor Mc***ger. Gsp and Bones jones are elite fighters tho but i doubt they make it in boxing without taking an L. Jones is over 200lbs so he wouldnt be a cruiser & id bet a paycheck Wilder KOs him inside 4. Gsp gets KO'd by GGG in 2. Fact of the matter is man, i deal with guys like u on a daily basis, I train my kids pure boxing in an MMA gym UFC gym Corona Ca (look it up if u want) & there are many pro MMA fighters at the gym that give me and my kids a really hard time about boxing. It bothered me for a while but i began to realize theyre just hating. My 9, 10, & 13 year old train harder than any adult there. They would make fun of us jumping rope but my kids jump rope like beast & these pro mmaguys cant skip for a round and my kids are doing 30mins straight. We sprint 1/2 miles in 3:00mins and jog up to 7.5 miles but were kicked off the machines because my kids are a "liability" because they can get hurt. Point of me saying this is to be a champion boxer elite conditioning & athleticism is required, most of these mma guys lack one or the other. You can get by in mma just by being strong. Theres a science to boxing and everything has to work like a well oiledmachine to be st the top, & the reason why guys like u & in my gym hate is because u can never acheive that. Also mma fans like u fail to realize the "hard work & dedication" guys like Floyd have, im not necessarily a fan but I TOTALLY respect the mans work ethic & athletic ability. Im quite sure if Floyd wouldve dedicated his craft to MMA, hed be top echelon, thats just how an amazing athlete he is. Any mma fighter or fan that wants to dis boxing is a straight hater because if it werent for boxing, youd be watching old bruce lee movies to see any kind of martial arts on tv...
    Those tears, so salty.

Why not train your kids at an actual Boxing gym if you've got a problem with MMA guys giving you ****?

MMA guys work very hard, don't know what you're talking about in that regard.

Comment

White guys with predominately slow twitch muscle fibers are gonna do way better in a sport where you get to impose more brute strength against a guy via grappling and submissions. So maybe the next Vinny Pazienza and Mickey Ward are in the UFC. But for the most part, no.

Comment

Originally posted by SunSpace View Post
        Other posters have explained it quite well. Essentially, the UFC used Mayweather's name to hype its fighters. They sought to humiliate boxing as a martial art, in order to gain fans. Throughout all this, Mayweather's response was that boxers would knock MMA fighters out, and that his career in boxing was much more profitable.

Mayweather ended up winning both those hype fights by outlasting them. The last nail in the coffin was a boxer (Holm) beating Rousey, who the UFC hyped as being able to beat Floyd (the top boxer right now). It showed that what people thought was way, way off. It didn't take a male boxer to stand up to a female MMA fighter; a female boxer, largely unknown and just starting out in MMA, was good enough. It set the record straight.

The reason this is significant is because, frankly, it was really disrespectful to watch everyone, even boxing ESPN writers, act like MMA fighters would annihilate boxers. These writers, for as much as they know, have never boxed a day in their lives. It was a betrayal to the sport which stung all the more because of it. Much the same when it came to fans, in the sense of not respecting the sport. Public opinion was truly terrible at the time, and it was insulting. Not so much in an utterly serious way, but still so.

I, for one, have boxed, and I know how dangerous boxing is as a martial art. I take pride in it. So, it was a victory when Holm proved them all wrong. I don't care so much about the Floyd aspect of it, but he was the one who symbolized boxing for them, so his victory is boxing's victory, in this sense.

Anyhow, I can tell you right now that, in a street fight, the boxer has the ultimate advantage. Why? Most fights start standing up. That right there is an edge. Second reason? Who in their right mind is going to wrestle someone on the ground, when a fighter can get their eyes gouged out and so forth?

That is a point most people miss when they start listing all the supposed ways in which "a boxer would lose to an MMA fighter." Let me add a third reason: kicks. Most head kicks fail to land. So, is the plan to hope you can get in range, over and over again, to kick someone's legs enough to get them down? That's what they're left with.

You know how open that'll leave an MMA fighter? All a boxer has to do is keep the distance, wait for an opening, and boom, fight's over. That is what a real street fight could very well look like, if it includes a good boxer. How people have missed this is beyond me, but whatever.

To get to the point, every martial art is equal. They can all be deadly, given the right circumstances. Hence, anyone can lose to anyone. But, and I'll repeat this again because it is extremely important, boxing maintains the first edge in any fight. That is simply the truth because of the stand-up commencement aspect. In my opinion, this adds to boxing's value overall. It can be defeated, of course, but it has something that the others do not. Boxing's simply the most efficient way to begin a fight. Once it begins, the boxer doesn't have to worry about getting out of a hold right off the bat, but the MMA fighter has to worry about getting out-boxed immediately. This concept can be extended to any kind of ring you think of.

Nevertheless, learning other martial arts besides boxing is useful. In particular, I think something like Krav Maga is very interesting. The idea of applying a martial art to real world situations is headed in the right direction. That's what fighting is all about, at the end of it--winning no matter what. Of course, I see flaws in the style, but I keep in mind that it appears that the objective is many times to avoid getting shot or stabbed, instead of winning a physical fight. All the slappy punches make sense in that regard.

MMA fighters, eventually, will be more fearsome than boxers. But this is when, and only when, they begin learning as many martial arts as possible from the beginning. That time is not here yet.
        Green K for a great post.

Comment

Originally posted by VicariousVice View Post
          Those tears, so salty.

Why not train your kids at an actual Boxing gym if you've got a problem with MMA guys giving you ****?

MMA guys work very hard, don't know what you're talking about in that regard.
          Bcuz we enjoy showing the dry humpers up & because its my family time, i cant take my wife to a boxing gym. & never said mma guys dont work out hard because they do which is y i love the diaz bros. But even in interviews they always praise boxers. its just when u get to a certain level of boxing and mma, class will always show.

Comment

Maybe for americans. But mexico, PR, and eastern europe will continue to produce champion stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxfan83 View Post
              Bcuz we enjoy showing the dry humpers up & because its my family time, i cant take my wife to a boxing gym. & never said mma guys dont work out hard because they do which is y i love the diaz bros. But even in interviews they always praise boxers. its just when u get to a certain level of boxing and mma, class will always show.
              Maybe they know that's why you're there and that you think of them as "dry humpers".

If someone thought of me in such a disrespectful way, I wouldnt give them an ounce of respect either.

You deserve it then.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
                White guys with predominately slow twitch muscle fibers are gonna do way better in a sport where you get to impose more brute strength against a guy via grappling and submissions. So maybe the next Vinny Pazienza and Mickey Ward are in the UFC. But for the most part, no.
                Calzaghe either bodybagged or beat down a lot of fighters some of them non white for a dude with slow twitch muscles.

Comment

Originally posted by K-Nan View Post
                  So, what you're saying is, in a sport where more can be done, a more complete sport, that takes more skills, white guys will do better.

I agree.

Boxing is a good sport and it's a solid striking sport/martial art, but it's very, very limiting when it comes to fighting and it uses the most brittle weapons the body has I might add. This is why Boxers who come into MMA with just Boxing don't do very well.

Comment

Originally posted by lparm View Post
                    Calzaghe either bodybagged or beat down a lot of fighters some of them non white for a dude with slow twitch muscles.
                    Sergey has beaten his share of African American fighters too.

Lomachenko soundly outboxed arguably the fastest Boxer in the sport.

Speed isn't the only thing you need in Boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpawology View Post
                      Maybe for americans. But mexico, PR, and eastern europe will continue to produce champion stock.
                      Eastern Europe already has quite a few quality fighters in the UFC, those are countries with a solid history in Grappling arts.

I see Mexico getting alot more involved aswell and there's already been a HW champion of Mexican descent and another Mexican descent fighter who's challenging for a title this weekend.

It still has a relatively small number of Mexican Nationals, but Latino fighters are all over the place in the UFC.

There's an all Latino MMA League that just aired an event a few hours ago on TV.

It'll only continue to grow.

In 20 years I'd say alot of good talent will be coming from Mexico and there will have been a few Russian, Polish, Dagestani etc champions and former title challengers.

Comment

Working...
                      X