No announcement yet.

Is the IBO a world title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IFightDirty View Post
    Oh yes being referred to as a "regular" or "interim" champ is embarrassing as well. IBF has some age and prestige and if I remember correctly is one of the 3 belts required to be "undisputed".
    Required by whom though? Who is the ultimate authority in boxing, and what makes them so?

Comment

Belts are now little more than trinkets to enhance poor match making, which usually benefits promoters more than the fighters.

The belt that keeps my trousers from falling down has more value and use than the likes of the IBF or WBA. But to be fair, they are all pointless in terms of judging talent as too many fighters use belts when planning who to avoid (imo).

I believe there are 17 weight divisions and 96 belts across the four main bodies, which is complete overkill and dilutes the talent pool for each respective body as there is no requirement to defend against "the best" in terms of competition, but it looks good on paper.

Isn't Singh fighting for the WBO Asian title only nine months after turning pro? or it was being discussed. But this further underlines the business that boxing has become when marketing. The "0" and PPV numbers seem to figure into a fighters skillset more than style now, which the casuals will always eat up, but the boxing faithful are the ones that really lose as our beloved sport becomes more degraded with each generation.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Rubber View Post
        Belts are now little more than trinkets to enhance poor match making, which usually benefits promoters more than the fighters.

The belt that keeps my trousers from falling down has more value and use than the likes of the IBF or WBA. But to be fair, they are all pointless in terms of judging talent as too many fighters use belts when planning who to avoid (imo).

I believe there are 17 weight divisions and 96 belts across the four main bodies, which is complete overkill and dilutes the talent pool for each respective body as there is no requirement to defend against "the best" in terms of competition, but it looks good on paper.

Isn't Singh fighting for the WBO Asian title only nine months after turning pro? or it was being discussed. But this further underlines the business that boxing has become when marketing. The "0" and PPV numbers seem to figure into a fighters skillset more than style now, which the casuals will always eat up, but the boxing faithful are the ones that really lose as our beloved sport becomes more degraded with each generation.
        Very well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Gentblue View Post
          Being honest in my book in terms of least corrupt to most:

IBO
          WBC
          WBO
          IBF
          WBA

Last two are a toss up in my book both equally ****.
          switch ibf and wbc please

Comment

Not one of the big 4 sanctioning bodies, most divisions dont even have an IBO champion and most people dont even consider it a title (or know it exists).

Comment

Not to me it isn't.

I don't even consider the WBO as a world title.

Comment

Funny but the IBO rankings are real good but no one wants to fight for that generic title.

Comment

I don't see it as one today, but a couple of decades ago I didn't see guys who won the WBO belt as legit world champions either. So basically I think one could argue with the path boxing is on these days I could see the IBO taking a position as a 5th alphabet group at some future date as I think its in a somewhat similar position as the WBO belt was in the late 80's today.

Comment

Any I.B.O. Champion who fights a world Champion of concurrently defends the World Title of anothers must comply with these regulations.
                    Without official sanctioning as required here in, the Champion shall lose his Title upon engaging in such non-sanctioned contest whether he wins or loses.

Comment

Originally posted by Beyonce Bomber View Post
                      Who is the ultimate authority in boxing, and what makes them so?
                      This is the biggest problem with anything in boxing. Too many chiefs not even indians. Everyone trying to be a boss in boxing. Boxing needs some big dog centralized power to come in & KTFO of the current warlords running their own lil corners of the boxing world. That'll get one champion in every division & all these IBF's, WBC's & even IBO's outta business.

There needs to be an NFL of boxing that sets the standard of the sport. Til that happens there is always gonna be a ton of **** from silly to highly corrupt going on in boxing that effects it negatively & hurts its overall appeal to the masses greatly.

Comment

Working...
                      X