Collapse
No announcement yet.

GGG weighed 164 one month out for wade do u think he can make 155 healthy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He maybe can, but he shouldn't. Not with all those belts on the line.

Comment

He said he can make 154 and still be strong and would gladly do so any day of the year to fight Mayweather. With the exception of Dawson most fighters know their own body and what weight they can make and be ok. Although he said he could make 154 clearly it wouldn't be easy and he would only do it for a huge fight with Mayweather. He could drop down to 157 or 155 or 154 and still beat Canelo but why should he strain himself or handicap himself in any way??? It's easier for him to make 160 than these lower weights and he might be a bit stronger at 160. The WBC rules call for Canelo to fight him next at the full 160 pound limit. GGG is rightfully insisting the rules be followed. Good for him. Canelo can fight at any weight limit he wants in non title fights and no harm is done. But Canelo has no right to change the weight limit he defends his middleweight title at to anything below the 100 year traditional 160 pounds. Martinez and Cotto were wrong to do this and so is Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
        157-158 is reasonable
        While I don't think there is anything reasonable about the lineal middleweight champion asking another middleweight champion for a catchweight. I must admit that a little voice in my head hopes GGG, calls his bluff and knocks Canelo the **** out.

Comment

The fact that he can make 155 and still beat Canelo is totally beside the point. The point is the rules call for Canelo to fight him at 160 and GGG is standing up for his rights on principle. Why should he give Canelo his way on this matter when the rules are clearly on his side. If Canelo won't fight him at 160 then GGG gets Canelo's title which was his main goal anyway. GGG would love to fight Canelo at 160 for his title and make lots of money doing it. But GGG can do just fine without ever fighting Canelo. GGG is becoming more popular all the time. He can make lots of money without ever fighting Canelo.

Comment

When one guy walks into the ring at 170,and the other at 172+,there's no reason why the fight should be held at 155,when they can both make 160 comfortably.

Comment

I don't know for fact that GGG can beat Canelo at 155 but I think he can. Canelo and GGG are my two favorite fighters so I am neutral. Favorite fighter or not I don't like what Canelo is doing by insisting GGG fight him for his title at a 155 pound limit. Right is right and wrong is wrong and Canelo is wrong on this matter.

Comment

Originally posted by DreamerUSA View Post
                While I don't think there is anything reasonable about the lineal middleweight champion asking another middleweight champion for a catchweight. I must admit that a little voice in my head hopes GGG, calls his bluff and knocks Canelo the **** out.
                mine too....Canelo thinks he is ODLH....ODLH fought the best from 130-160...he earned the cash cow status.....Canelo thinks its handed to you, while you really have to earn it

Mayweather earned it too..Canelo is in the midst but not there yet. Has stuff to proof

Comment

In the history of the sport the Middleweight Title is limited to 160 pounds!
                  You can fight for the Middleweight Title at 126lbs if you'd like but you can't exceed 160! Thats it! There is no other weight limit associated with the title.
                  Anyone who negotiates anything but a 160 limit should never be considered the Title holder!
                  GGG has fought the contenders who were willing to sign, he fought his mandatories that are defined by the federations and has picked opponents to be able to stay busy. Kid Chocolate has no interest and they can all say the offers were weak but their not making any monetary offers either! GGG is the number one fighter at 160, the belt Canelo has is just another belt the federations importance has waned so much now with all the belts its a joke.
                  WBC/WBA/IBC/IBO/ABC/XYZ what ever..........strip Canelo and in 2019 he can call GGG out of retirement and fight then!

Ray

Comment

Hard to say. Part of the reason that's so low is that he doesn't really balloon up between fights.

The lightest he's been officially was 158.5 in 2011. When he took these photos it looks like he didn't have too much more he could lose comfortably.

More recently, against Lemieux he looked relatively a tad less shredded at 159.5.

I feel he could almost surely make 158 comfortably, probably even 157 without much squeezing. I don't doubt he can get down to 155 with some extra effort but it's hard to say for sure how good he would look at that weight. I'd probably be more confident that he could make the drop down if GGG was 25.

I will say though that in those photos of GGG at 158.5 he looks like he has much more to lose than Canelo did at the Cotto weigh in.
                    Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 03-29-2016, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mike1010011 View Post
                      When one guy walks into the ring at 170,and the other at 172+,there's no reason why the fight should be held at 155,when they can both make 160 comfortably.
                      thats what we all feel like, at least the ones with common sense. Canelo thinks he is the man...call his bluff...kick his ass and it'll be the last time GGG will have to make anything below 160

GB seems firm on 155...its bs...just because things should be a certain way doesnt mean they will be that way....sadly the world doesnt always work the way it should

Comment

Working...
                      X