Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"SOG" Ward vs "King" Krusher Kovalev @ 175 lbs / 12.5 stone: Who wins?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gauze View Post
    i was at the bar and overheard the bartender tell another guy "eff the mma card, next week theres boxing with the number 1 and 2 pound for pound light heavyweights, they're beasts who knock everyone out...gonna be a war"

i didnt have the heart to tell them that it wouldnt be a slugfest. they seemed pretty amped to watch boxing so i wasnt gonna shiiit on their parade lol.

i was pretty surprised to hear them talking about it.
    That's a good sign that people are excited for the fight; maybe the guy was just mostly talking about Kovalev.

It should be a good fight, and I expect excitement.

It's no secret that Ward is going to want to box, and Kovalev is going to want to put hands on Ward; maybe take a few to land a couple in some spots.

I don't think it's going to be a dull fight.

The only way it would be is if Ward was able to completely shut down Kovalev's offence, and just boxes from a distance for 12 rounds.

It's a possibility, however I don't expect Kovalev to go into a shell, I expect him to take some risks, which will leave him open for some return fire, quite possibly.

Kovalev is himself a boxer-puncher, and could be the one pushing the tempo.

I actually expect Kovalev to win some of the early rounds; but for Ward to win the war, after conceding some of the early battles.

If Ward does establish a lead, Kovalev could be more anxious to push the pace down the home stretch, and it could lead to action.

That's just one potential scenario.

The one unique thing I have to say about the fight, is I think Ward is going to actually be the stronger man in the clinch. I don't think most people are expecting that.

I've never seen Ward outmuscled.

Like I said in a prior post, Ward was also fighting in the amateurs at 178 at the same time Kovalev was fighting at 162(?) in the amateurs. They are equal in height, and Kovalev has a slight reach advantage.

People don't talk about Ward's physicality--except to the extent he uses what some people consider dirty tactics (i.e. Kessler fight), but I do think Ward may be the physically stronger guy.

Ward's injury troubles could diminish this, but Ward is also the younger of the two.

Comment

• Originally posted by gauze View Post
      i was at the bar and overheard the bartender tell another guy "eff the mma card, next week theres boxing with the number 1 and 2 pound for pound light heavyweights, they're beasts who knock everyone out...gonna be a war"

i didnt have the heart to tell them that it wouldnt be a slugfest. they seemed pretty amped to watch boxing so i wasnt gonna shiiit on their parade lol.

i was pretty surprised to hear them talking about it.
      Well it's a good thing you didn't say anything about it because it WILL be a slugfest.

Kovalev will take Ward to deep waters and attempt to drown him, and Ward will be in the fight of his life.

Comment

• I honestly don't know how much of Ward is left because his competition does not allow us to gauge it? Is he the same fighter he was 5 years ago?

Comment

• "I honestly don't know how much of Ward is left because his competition does not allow us to gauge it? Is he the same fighter he was 5 years ago? "

I don't really think he is TBH. I am a fan of both guys and ward cannot seem to keep 175 guys off him. He's been beating C rate competition by sloppy decisions at 175. I think Ward will always go down as great super middle as it was his best weight in his prime.

I don't think Ward is winning this fight. He has nothing that will have enough power to really make Kovalev weary. I think GGG has much more power than Ward. I think Kovalev will win a majority decision and maybe gte a knockdown

Comment

• Originally posted by jmrf4435 View Post
            "I honestly don't know how much of Ward is left because his competition does not allow us to gauge it? Is he the same fighter he was 5 years ago? "

I don't really think he is TBH. I am a fan of both guys and ward cannot seem to keep 175 guys off him. He's been beating C rate competition by sloppy decisions at 175. I think Ward will always go down as great super middle as it was his best weight in his prime.

I don't think Ward is winning this fight. He has nothing that will have enough power to really make Kovalev weary. I think GGG has much more power than Ward. I think Kovalev will win a majority decision and maybe gte a knockdown
            Just finished reading this thread. I'm a fan of both guys as well. I have had a lot of the same thoughts that most have had here. I've been going back and forth with this fight for the last couple of days. I picked Ward by UD. I arrived at my pick in a slightly different way than what I have read from other members. I removed all the answered and unanswered questions for both Ward and Kovalev and this is what I was left with. Both guys have strengths and weaknesses that I feel (for arguments sake) cancel each other out. Timing is how I see Ward winning a UD. Ward seems to have this extra offensive tool that allows him to hit his opponent in what looks like little lulls in the action. I think the clean punches he lands in this part of the fight are going to be the deciding factor in Ward winning. You'll have Kovalev landing his shots. Ward will land his shots and counters, but Ward will have this other area in which to score. The lulls in action where both fighters are not throwing punches, but looking, moving and thinking.

Comment

• road to kovalev-ward premiered last night, does anybody have a link to watch it?

Comment

• Kovalev will land, but will he land enough.. I expect ward to punch and grab all night.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dean_Razorback View Post
                  road to kovalev-ward premiered last night, does anybody have a link to watch it?
                  It will most likely be uploaded on the HBO boxing YouTube channel tomorrow.... I haven't been able to find any links in the meantime.

Comment

• It will most likely be uploaded on the HBO boxing YouTube channel tomorrow.... I haven't been able to find any links in the meantime.
                    I'm not sure it's out yet. Didn't see it on regular HBO and can't seem to find it anywhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by r3ppa View Post
                      Just finished reading this thread. I'm a fan of both guys as well. I have had a lot of the same thoughts that most have had here. I've been going back and forth with this fight for the last couple of days. I picked Ward by UD. I arrived at my pick in a slightly different way than what I have read from other members. I removed all the answered and unanswered questions for both Ward and Kovalev and this is what I was left with. Both guys have strengths and weaknesses that I feel (for arguments sake) cancel each other out. Timing is how I see Ward winning a UD. Ward seems to have this extra offensive tool that allows him to hit his opponent in what looks like little lulls in the action. I think the clean punches he lands in this part of the fight are going to be the deciding factor in Ward winning. You'll have Kovalev landing his shots. Ward will land his shots and counters, but Ward will have this other area in which to score. The lulls in action where both fighters are not throwing punches, but looking, moving and thinking.
                      Great first post.

Welcome to BoxingScene/NSB!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X