Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HBO only offering $1 Million for Walters-Lomanchenko?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you using UFC PPV salaries as a measuring stick...just stop.

The $400K UFC champ Aldo got for headlining a PPV vs McGregor was his MINIMUM guarantee. That's what he gets paid just for stepping in the ring as far as the Nevada State Athletic Commission is concerned. Aldo got a nice cut from the PPV. He most likely walked away with 4 or 5 million when all was said and done. Rousey makes a sh+t ton more $ than any featherweight boxer on the planet. Yeah, her salary vs Tate was around $550K...that's before her cut of the PPV. She walks away with millions off of her fights. McGregor's fight against Diaz was the first publicized $1 million UFC purse. That's what he was guaranteed to get just to set foot in the ring. He himself said when all is said and done he made around $10 million for that Diaz fight.

The problem with the boxing model is this:

Boxers make too much money too soon for fighting guys that are no threat.

In the UFC you only make good money once you fight and beat a guy that's a threat...and you keep doing it over and over again.

Boxing = mismatches on HBO and Showtime 9 out of 10 times. In the UFC it's #1 vs #2 in their weight class ALL THE TIME.

I like boxing better. But 95% of the time the only reason a boxing match is occuring is because the favourite knows they are going to win. Just look at Crawford. Lundy and Jean as opponents, give me a f+ckin' break. Garcia-Salka, a f+ckin' travesty.

That sh+t would never and will never fly in the UFC.

And that's the difference.

$500K apiece for Loma and Walters is more than fair. In the big scheme of things, few people give a f+ck about these two.

Stop using the UFC as a comparison. It's different. The best actually fight the best...all the time...and if you're headling PPV's that pull in over a million buys you are making big money, better money than guys headlining non PPV HBO and Showtime cards

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
      There isn't a single sports writer, analyst or economist that thinks the plan is to recoup the $400 million from advertising revenue.

Clearly the plan is to establish a franchise and recoup the cost of entry from future broadcast rights fees.

I have a lot of respect for the great shows that you promoted, but your anti-Haymon bias causes you to say a lot of ridiculous things. "It's not his money so I doubt he loses any sleep over losses." How do you even say things like that with a straight face? So because his management company has taken on an investor suddenly he doesn't care about the success of his management company? You just sound completely ridiculous when you say things like that. What about the stake he still owns? Doesn't matter to him because he has a partner? You just lose all credibility with some of the anti-Haymon nonsense that you post.

well your "pro anything Haymon" agenda almost makes me think you are trying to get a gig as his publicist or something. And you forgot your usual disclaimer about how many businesses you own, and all that, to try and discredit the opinions of those who disagree with you.

Look, I simply dont believe the Haymon model of "spend a half-BILLION dollars to try and generate ratings that will somehow spark interest (and a 9-figure content deal) from networks who havent given a **** about boxing in almost 3 decades" is NOT a model that will ultimately succeed. Obviously you think it will. Time will tell which one of us is right............

Edit: And for what its worth, if Haymon was so concerned about the success or failure of this venture, then buying a Lear and a G4 maybe, just maybe, wasnt the best allocation of company resources. Resources it would seem would be quite useful to him at this moment in other areas.......
      Last edited by OnePunch; 03-15-2016, 05:31 PM.

Comment

This should be a 65-35 split in favor of Walters. Gonzalez ain't getting a 1mill himself and is top 5 P4P in most peoples list.

Comment

Very low for those 2 fighters. I guess it's because they haven't been tested yet. $1.5 mil is probably fair.

Comment

Man I really wanna see this fight, but I don't think $1 million is a disrespectful offer. These guys aren't big names that are gonna draw casual viewers

Comment

Originally posted by jypehob View Post
              This should be a 65-35 split in favor of Walters. Gonzalez ain't getting a 1mill himself and is top 5 P4P in most peoples list.
              Loma has a high minimum, which he got for signing with Top Rank. He was the Amateur star.

50/50 is fair

Comment

Considering the relatively low profile of both it's not a dreadful offer. Walters v Donaire had a $600k purse. Loma-Russell split $1m. Two featherweights who don't have a big following normally wouldn't command much more than that. But it's a great fight and you would think that $1.5m is doable. More to the point you would hope that HBO would push the boat out a little to make something happen when there is fuck all else going on.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                  well your "pro anything Haymon" agenda almost makes me think you are trying to get a gig as his publicist or something. And you forgot your usual disclaimer about how many businesses you own, and all that, to try and discredit the opinions of those who disagree with you.

Look, I simply dont believe the Haymon model of "spend a half-BILLION dollars to try and generate ratings that will somehow spark interest (and a 9-figure content deal) from networks who havent given a **** about boxing in almost 3 decades" is NOT a model that will ultimately succeed. Obviously you think it will. Time will tell which one of us is right............

Edit: And for what its worth, if Haymon was so concerned about the success or failure of this venture, then buying a Lear and a G4 maybe, just maybe, wasnt the best allocation of company resources. Resources it would seem would be quite useful to him at this moment in other areas.......

I pointed to the statements that you made that I disagreed with and explained why I disagreed with them.

You couldn't counter any of my arguments, so instead you accuse me of bias without pointing to a single thing I said that you found to be inaccurate.

If you don't think Haymon's model will succeed, that's fine, but that doesn't excuse falsely describing his model.

You have no idea if buying an airplane was a wise choice of resources or not.

But we do know that you admittedly were not concerned with turning a profit in your own boxing endeavors and were willing to lose thousands of dollars to have fun.

That's great, but with Haymon being one of the most successful concert promoters of all time and successfully guiding Floyd Mayweather to the most successful boxing career of all time, I'm not quick to assume that Haymon doesn't know what he's doing just because you don't agree with his plan.

I've found in life that people that are smarter than you will often do things that don't make sense to you on the surface and just because you don't understand their plan doesn't mean it's not going to work. Haymon is clearly a high level thinker and whether his plan is ultimately successful or not, chances are that very few on this site would posses the intelligence necessary to look at the big picture and really understand his strategy.

I think you have a lot to offer this community but the level of bitterness you have is ridiculous. Yes, I own several successful businesses. So what? And you're moaning because I didn't mention it? We have a bunch of kids on this site, of low intelligence, with zero business experience, pontificating about the merits of Haymon's strategy. You don't think that's a little silly?

Real world experience is suddenly a bad thing?

Comment

Originally posted by RetroSpeed05 View Post

This is why Bob Arum hates Al Haymon so much! Walters thinks he should be paid like a Haymon fighter, even though he is not a Haymon fighter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kenny Blankenship View Post
                      For those of you using UFC PPV salaries as a measuring stick...just stop.

The $400K UFC champ Aldo got for headlining a PPV vs McGregor was his MINIMUM guarantee. That's what he gets paid just for stepping in the ring as far as the Nevada State Athletic Commission is concerned. Aldo got a nice cut from the PPV. He most likely walked away with 4 or 5 million when all was said and done. Rousey makes a sh+t ton more $ than any featherweight boxer on the planet. Yeah, her salary vs Tate was around $550K...that's before her cut of the PPV. She walks away with millions off of her fights. McGregor's fight against Diaz was the first publicized $1 million UFC purse. That's what he was guaranteed to get just to set foot in the ring. He himself said when all is said and done he made around $10 million for that Diaz fight.

The problem with the boxing model is this:

Boxers make too much money too soon for fighting guys that are no threat.

In the UFC you only make good money once you fight and beat a guy that's a threat...and you keep doing it over and over again.

Boxing = mismatches on HBO and Showtime 9 out of 10 times. In the UFC it's #1 vs #2 in their weight class ALL THE TIME.

I like boxing better. But 95% of the time the only reason a boxing match is occuring is because the favourite knows they are going to win. Just look at Crawford. Lundy and Jean as opponents, give me a f+ckin' break. Garcia-Salka, a f+ckin' travesty.

That sh+t would never and will never fly in the UFC.

And that's the difference.

$500K apiece for Loma and Walters is more than fair. In the big scheme of things, few people give a f+ck about these two.

Stop using the UFC as a comparison. It's different. The best actually fight the best...all the time...and if you're headling PPV's that pull in over a million buys you are making big money, better money than guys headlining non PPV HBO and Showtime cards
                      If you think any fighter in the UFC has been paid $4 or $5 million for a fight, then you are a delusional person who also believes in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. Mid Level guys like Walters and Lomachenko would not ont even get paid $100,000 in the UFC

Comment

Working...
                      X