No announcement yet.

Prime Joe Calzaghe vs gg

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
    There is a very good chance GGG is not going to have near the same success when he moves up to 168. He is formidable at 160, but I don't think his style will translate to a dominant fighter 8 pounds north (I could be wrong). He will still be a good fighter, maybe one of the best in the division but it is a big jump in weight for elite fighting, you look at the guys who have historically moved up and had success between those weight classes and they are few and far between.

They are guys like Mike McCallum, Roy Jones, Bernard Hopkins, James Toney, these are guys who can change it up and are very diverse with solid defences. Joe Calzaghe went up but its hard to assess because he went up and fought the best fighter in the division above, and then a washed up fighter, but the one thing you could say is he felt the difference in power at the higher weight.

In terms of the thread - fantasy matchup's are exactly that and are fun for debate and opinion, but there is no way way that anyone could say with any confidence that GGG stops Calzaghe who is without question a great fighter and a big 168lber with a very good chin, in fact I think he would hold lots of advantages in this fight. GGG has yet to face anyone elite at 160lbs, therefore to assume he even belongs in the ring with an elite 168lber is conjecture at this stage and premature.

Don't get me wrong GGG is a very good fighter, but he hasn't proved the things he is being showered with. People are labelling him great from what they have seen in the gym and sparring because thus far he has only beaten B level guys at best under the lights, we are told he has a very high ceiling (A lot of this hype comes from Abel Sanchez) but we haven't seen it yet.

There is nothing or no fight he has fought that shows me that he could beat a Joe Calzaghe. Let's see how he does with a Canelo Alvarez first, and if the does move up to 168 there is plenty of completion there too. Until then people need some perspective.
    Good post and there is a lot of things I can agree with in your post, especially regarding the uncertainty of GGG's dominance going up in weight. There's one thing I wouldn't doubt with GGG and that is his heavy hands. when cruiserweights and lightHeavyweight sparring partners struggle with his power then i'm confident he would carry that power to 168.

The reason I say he catches and stops Joe is mainly due to Calzaghes style, he has a decent chin but I dont think he is the best defensively and with his aggressive style I could just see GGG catching him coming in.

GGG has a poor resume as a professional and so far he has only needed to fight one way really to win his fights, but that doesn't mean he cant adapt his approach. I mean he must be pretty talented if he can outbox someone like Dirrell in the amateurs he also destroyed Bute. Both of these guys were seen as legit 168 fighters.

Until GGG moves up or fights and destroys Canelo I think there will always be question marks on how good GGG really is.

Comment

See Hopkins vs Pavlik...

Theres your result, wide UD for Calzaghe.

Comment

I voted for GGG although it's close. GGG almost never loses a single round in any of his pro fights. He is a hard guy to outbox. Joe boxes circles around him??? I don't think so. No version of Joe had enough power to hurt GGG. Joe might win on points but he would get KOed himself if he tried to KO GGG who has never been knocked down or in trouble in any fight so far.

Comment

Lol Calslappy, would slap him around to a clear decision

Comment

It'd easily be the hardest fight Calzaghe has ever had lets not pretend Joe was untouchable he was there and ready to be hit and he was dropped down by light punchers for that reason I think Golovkin would find a way to crack that walnut and put him down for the count.

Comment

Originally posted by LetOutTheCage View Post
              Not even close to the best. If you look at who he fought and when he fought them his resume really isn't great.

GGG would catch him and stop him imo.
              Idk man Calzaghe record and resume speaks for itself. The guy knew how to win and retired undefeated

Comment

Calzaghe.........

Comment

Originally posted by Zangief. View Post
                  It'd easily be the hardest fight Calzaghe has ever had lets not pretend Joe was untouchable he was there and ready to be hit and he was dropped down by light punchers for that reason I think Golovkin would find a way to crack that walnut and put him down for the count.
                  Lets. Not forget that Joe was able to adapt.to all different styles can gg do.that? probably not

Comment

Lean slightly towards GGG because of his laser accurate jab making it difficult for Joe to swarm.

Comment

Has joe ever even been hurt?

Comment

Working...
                      X