No announcement yet.

The HBO Budget Crisis and What it Means

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by original zero View Post
    then why are more people in america watching boxing than have watched boxing in several decades?

3-4 million people tuned in whenever PBC had a major card on NBC or Fox. Most of those eyeballs weren't watching boxing before. If boxing is dead, why is it growing? Your premise doesn't make any sense.

what's dying in america is boxing on premium cable & pay-per-view. al wants to kill those two platforms and so far it appears his quest is working.
    Boxing is dead in America... It's not growing, it's shrinking,, less cards, lesser known fighters, and of pbc goes under then boxing in America will pretty much be super niche and all the good fighters will earn more in Canada, UK, Germany, Russia, Japan..

To think that boxing is more popular now than in the 80s is laughable,, even the 90s..

Comment

• Showtime has slowed down considerably, yet I don't see a lot of threads about it.

Remember when these Haymon/Floyd fanboys predicted Showtime taking over when Floyd came on board? What the hell happened? Floyd and Haymon left it financially dry and made it irrelevant.

Comment

• Originally posted by original zero View Post
        then why are more people in america watching boxing than have watched boxing in several decades?
        Because Waddell & Reed is willing to pour millions of dollars into fight cards that aren't making money?

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
          Showtime has slowed down considerably, yet I don't see a lot of threads about it.

Remember when these Haymon/Floyd fanboys predicted Showtime taking over when Floyd came on board? What the hell happened? Floyd and Haymon left it financially dry and made it irrelevant.
          Oh poor baby. Do you want me to make a thread about ShowTime's terrible ratings too sweetheart?

With your ol "my network is better than your network" ass

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            Boxing is dead in America... It's not growing, it's shrinking,, less cards, lesser known fighters, and of pbc goes under then boxing in America will pretty much be super niche and all the good fighters will earn more in Canada, UK, Germany, Russia, Japan..

To think that boxing is more popular now than in the 80s is laughable,, even the 90s..
            Exactly! Any long term fan can not only feel the decline, they can see it all around them. The ratings are just one aspect. I have a vast amount of family and friends and the only other ones who care or talk about the sport are the ones I met on here.

The sport is essentially dead in the US and Canada. Montreal is the last true fight fan town left, with LA barely hanging on.

Comment

• If you compare boxing to what it was in the 80's and 90's, yes it's on decline. Compared to the past five years? It's on the upswing. But who am I to talk? Everything is premature -- I'm just going to sit back and watch how this all plays out.

Comment

• Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                Oh poor baby. Do you want me to make a thread about ShowTime's terrible ratings too sweetheart?

With your ol "my network is better than your network" ass
                I was just wondering bro.

You guys were all high up in heaven when Haymon/Floyd/Schaefer went exclusive on Showtime. The headlines coming from fanboys were, "HBO is f##kd," "Showtime will make HBO irrelevant," "Floyd/Haymon/Schaefer with SHO will rule the sport."

What the hell happened? There was hardly any fight last year for Showtime. It was a terrible year. It's probably worse had Pac/May didn't happen. They may have recoup some loses, but it's evident Haymon/Floyd bled their pockets dry. Looking back HBO made the right decision in letting a greedy guy like Mayweather go.

Comment

• Originally posted by JoeMan View Post
                  I was just wondering bro.

You guys were all high up in heaven when Haymon/Floyd/Schaefer went exclusive on Showtime. The headlines coming from fanboys were, "HBO is f##kd," "Showtime will make HBO irrelevant," "Floyd/Haymon/Schaefer with SHO will rule the sport."

What the hell happened? There was hardly any fight last year for Showtime. It was a terrible year. It's probably worse had Pac/May didn't happen. They may have recoup some loses, but it's evident Haymon/Floyd bled their pockets dry. Looking back HBO made the right decision in letting a greedy guy like Mayweather go.

Because boxing is dead in America. I'm not a biased network fanboy. I'm a realist. Take your fanboy wars to another thread.

Comment

• I don't want HBO boxing to die personally, but it seemed very obvious from the get go that PBC's plan was to eliminate HBO and Showtime from the market. It even required Showtime (or HBO's) complacency in the matter.

Get the two largest tribes/armies/competitors to fight each other. Sweep in after the war and steal all the women. Literally the oldest trick in the book.

Comment

• Originally posted by -PBP- View Post
                      Because boxing is dead in America. I'm not a biased network fanboy. I'm a realist. Take your fanboy wars to another thread.
                      Nah, its just rebuilding right now. Said it before that boxing is in a lul. There is only 1 superstar (Canelo) and he is letting down th fans ATM. Khan is a name but he's not a MW or even JMW fighter but i like both fighters so I'm watching, maybe going, and still think it'll be huge.

Boxing will be back soon. In the mean time I'm enjoying watching the new generation come up. There are some young names I'm excited about

Comment

Working...
                      X