No announcement yet.

For those saying DiBella bid was low

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those saying DiBella bid was low

Heavyweight champion Wladimir Klitschko and secondary titlist Alexander Povetkin both have bouts scheduled, but the purse bid for their mandatory bout was held on Tuesday and Russian promoter Vladimir Hryunov pulled a shocker, winning with an extraordinary bid of $23,333,330.

It is the third-biggest winning bid ever and far exceeded expectations. K2 Promotions, Klitschko's company, bid $7.13 million and Sauerland Event, which promotes Povetkin, bid $6,014,444 at the ceremony at WBA headquarters in Panama City. The minimum bid was $1 million.

http://en.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/204099.html

Klitschko is a bigger draw than Wilder and he only bid $7.13mil for himself. I think a $5mil bid for Povetkin-Wilder by DiBella was right on the mark. Povetkin-Wilder is not gonna be bigger than Klitschko-Povetkin

na bro haymons just broke 5 mil couldnt pay my rent

Comment

People are too blind on the bid. Haymon bid low because Wilder is getting 70% of the money, so he allowed Ryabinsky to take all of the financial risk. Now Ryabinsky has to pay both fighters, stage the event, find TV outlets, etc. Haymon basically goes along for the ride, gets his 10% from Wilder, who by the way by far gets his largest payday.

Comment

Premiere Broke Champions

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
          People are too blind on the bid. Haymon bid low because Wilder is getting 70% of the money, so he allowed Ryabinsky to take all of the financial risk. Now Ryabinsky has to pay both fighters, stage the event, find TV outlets, etc. Haymon basically goes along for the ride, gets his 10% from Wilder, who by the way by far gets his largest payday.
          I thought promoters wanted to promote?

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
            And he's going to have to find an American network to broadcast the fight.

Comment

I didn't expect DiBella to break the bank. What shocked me was the bid by Ryabinsky at $7.15M. Obviously the fight wasn't as big as the Klitschko fight, but I expected around $12-14M. Wilder will get $5M, which is a lot of money, but is it enough for him to head over to Russia? $10M would be really hard to pass up, but $5M might be low enough to start giving him second thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuban Linx View Post
                I didn't expect DiBella to break the bank. What shocked me was the bid by Ryabinsky at $7.15M. Obviously the fight wasn't as big as the Klitschko fight, but I expected around $12-14M. Wilder will get $5M, which is a lot of money, but is it enough for him to head over to Russia? $10M would be really hard to pass up, but $5M might be low enough to start giving him second thoughts.
                I think people thought it was low because of what he bid for the Povetkin-Klitschko fight. But if you look at that purse bid you'll see his bid was an outlier. Klitschko bid less on himself than Ryabinsky bid on this fight. I don't think a Povetkin-Wilder fight is worth more than a Povetkin-Klitschko fight. Do you?

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
                  I think people thought it was low because of what he bid for the Povetkin-Klitschko fight. But if you look at that purse bid you'll see his bid was an outlier. Klitschko bid less on himself than Ryabinsky bid on this fight. I don't think a Povetkin-Wilder fight is worth more than a Povetkin-Klitschko fight. Do you?
                  What honestly surprised me is why he bid 23M in the first place. He could have bid 15M and stll won

Comment

Originally posted by about.thousands View Post
                    Of course not, but Ryabinsky put up $23M for that fight. Keep in mind the Klitschko camp was shocked by the bid because up until then they had complete control over the HW division in terms of contracts and setting up fights with their opponents. They didn't take Ryabinsky seriously at all. I was thinking $12M might have been a conservative bid by his standards for the Wilder fight, but $7M is surprisingly low IMO. I think it even surprised DiBella, who didn't expect to win.

My concern would be that the bid might be too low for Wilder to consider going over to Russia to fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X