No announcement yet.

Boxing' stylistic doppelgängers

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing' stylistic doppelgängers

With the upcoming Leo Santa Cruz vs Kiko Martinez fight right around the corner, I was thinking about how fast Leo will be able to grind Kiko down. That's when I recalled how in the earlier years of Leo's career he was often compared to Antonio Margarito(he's back!). The similarity in pressure and sheer volume is there but I thought of another fighter with similar work output and relatively similar featherfists that resembles Leo's style a lot closer, that's when Omar Figueroa Jr came to mind. Both guys have a similar resume, with Leo's win over Mares being the decisive factor on the better one, both throw a bunch of punches and both don't have OHKO power but grind their smaller foes down over the course of the fight.

So in my eyes Leo isn't a mini Tony but more or less a Featherweight Figueroa Jr.

Other names that are often mentioned together are Roman and GGG. Not only because they have been fighting on the same card for their last 2 fights(going on 3) but because they both use a similar style with immense ko power to along with it. Both men can cut off the ring efficiently, both can box very well and both men are extremely good finishers. Although GGG's weight class produces a lot more interest amongst the general fans of the sport, I think Roman has the slight edge in the stylistic aspect since he throws a lot more fluent combinations and has a relatively sharp inside game.

Oh and both receive criticism over their level of opponents in recent times by their non fans and many fans alike. They also get high praise from many boxing journalist and both are top 10 pound for pound rated and highly regarded by the sport's media.

What are some other names in the sport that have extremely similar styles?

Ricardo lopez, jmm
    derek gainer, rjj

Comment

Originally posted by considerthis View Post
      Ricardo lopez, jmm
      derek gainer, rjj
      Ahh nice additions.

Currently Estrada reminds me a lot of Juan Manuel Marquez. They both are good combination punchers, both have shaky defenses, both have power generated from timing their opponents and the accuracy of their shots and although Marquez is a lot better at counter punching, I think Estrada is a lot better at setting an aggressive pace and not sitting back waiting for his opponent to lead as much. What Marquez does better in countering, Estrada matches it with his effective aggression and pressure when needed.

Comment

amir khan and eric crumble

Comment

Ernie shavers luis ortiz. ,// santa cruz and sal sanchez.hagler ggg crawford young hagler ricardo lopez gallito estrada

Comment

Does luis ortis look like the next dominant heavyweight like a young bowe but not the typical cuban boxing school style???

Comment

Originally posted by Aztekkas View Post
              What are some other names in the sport that have extremely similar styles?
              Canelo and Cotto... if you know what I mean.

Comment

Originally posted by mexicanstyle View Post
                Ernie shavers luis ortiz. ,// santa cruz and sal sanchez.hagler ggg crawford young hagler ricardo lopez gallito estrada
                ?????????????????????????????????????????????

Comment

Prime George Foreman (not comeback version) and Sandy Saddler

Though I think Saddler trained Foreman at some point.

They both have exactly the same style, just one is 100lbs or so heavier

Comment

Adrien Broner and floyd mayweather. Broner is the next floyd hes taking over boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X