Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rewatched Cotto vs Canelo: It's A Toss Up, The Scorecards Were Insane

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cotto wasn't even landing anything worth sht, how do people see this as a close fight? Prancing around don't mean diddly if you aren't putting hard leather on the other guy.

P.S any gifs of Cotto's punches in this fight?
    Last edited by SplitSecond; 02-08-2016, 04:58 PM.

Comment

All the meaningful punches were landed by Alvarez. You can b1tch about a round or two, but there was no doubt who deserved the decision.

Comment

It was a close fight, I always said it was close, and actually am in the minority. Cotto certainly didn't win, but he didn't get whooped/schooled or dominated. It was a good competitive fight and the outcome came out exactly as I thought it would. A decision for Canelo in a tough fight.

Comment

I had it a draw the first time but wouldn't complain if it went 7-5 either way. The scores put a bad taste in my mouth. Actually every time Canelo from fights the scorecards piss me off

Comment

Originally posted by j0zef View Post
            Getting a decision against Canelo is hard. Floyd embarrassed him, Canelo said he got embarrassed, yet it was a close fight according to the judges.
            Always has a big crowd behind him. That has a huge influence on judges. His shots get remembered.

Comment

I thought it was a pretty easy fight to score. The right guy won.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                Cotto wasn't even landing anything worth sht, how do people see this as a close fight? Prancing around don't mean diddly if you aren't putting hard leather on the other guy.

P.S any gifs of Cotto's punches in this fight?
                Be honest, if Cotto wasn't landing anything meaningful Canelo walks through it and scores a KO.

Comment

Originally posted by FlatLine View Post
                  Just rewatched the entire fight, HD quality, turned off the commentary. There's no way Canelo outright won that by the insane margin represented by the scorecards.

Cotto landed more clean shots and defense was excellent for a lot of the fight. By the same token, Canelo's defense was on point, he made Cotto miss a fair few, throwing some terrific shots and had some good angles but didn't find the target often enough.

Canelo was the bigger man and definitely looked like the more imposing figure, chasing Cotto around the ring for spells in the fight, but Cotto was boxing him very well indeed in patches.

Cotto definitely looked more worse for wear by the end of the fight, more tired and drained, especially since he was cut in the last round but viewing the fight as a whole it was a toss up and could easily have been a draw, there were really too many close rounds.

Insane scoring for that one:

119-109, 117-111, 118-110!

Just shocking. None of those scorecards are reflective of what happened in the fight. If anything I can see an argument for a 7-5 fight either way, or a draw. So Canelo winning 7 rounds, Cotto 5. Or the other way Cotto 7, Canelo 5. Or a draw. It was a very close fight.

But the scorecards mean that 1 judge gave Cotto 1 round, the other 2 rounds and the other one 3 rounds!

That is far removed from the reality of what actually happened in the fight. Don't take my word for it, rewatch it.
                  I agree 100%. The politics of the sport stinks. Cotto was going to have to knock him out to win the fight.

Comment

Fight was close and could have gone to either guy.

Judges were on crack and Coronas.

Comment

I think if you watch the fight from a point standpoint it was close. If you watch it from a damage standpoint it wasn't. I think Canelo got all the close rounds because he was doing more damage.

Comment

Working...
                      X