No announcement yet.

GGG and Rigo can take note from Khan

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
    You have to put it in perspective tough. The payscale at 122-126 is naturally lower so you have to look at where the big money fights are. Rigo's biggest money fights have been at 126. That is the division that has the fighters consistently appearing on networks right now.

In GGG's case, it's a matter of how confident are you that Canelo will fight him on time and not wait until he's 37 and showing signs of decline.
    That's true too.

i think fighters like Canelo is what makes it hard for fighters like GGG to make up their minds. do you wait for 6 months to a year to make what you wouldn't make in 2 years (i.e. Canelo is likely a 5-10 million payday, however vs. any other fighter 1-2 million pay day... plus after fighting and beating Canelo all future paydays would be much higher than the 1-2 million paydays), i don't like it but i understand it.

Comment

Dont forget about broner, he did this as well!!!!

Comment

Rigo is very small tho but okay i hear you

Comment

Originally posted by IFightDirty View Post

Khan who is younger than those two, actually has available big fight options, and has less reasons to be desperate enough to move up still did.

Also on Khan. That's the thing he has Kell Brook, a huge fight in the UK, whom he has a good chance at beating, yet chose to move up..
          Khan may be younger in years but career wise he is on his way out. Dude knows that he can't afford one more loss to the top contenders at 147 or he becomes irrelevant so why not cash out with Canelo and then come back down to fight Brook next. Why would he fight Garcia or Thurman for one mill with a high possibility of getting knocked out again and risk loosing that Brook payday?

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
            He moved up which I give him credit for but not for a big fight though. Malignaggi wasn't a big fight and neither was Maidana. Even though Malignaggi was easy pickings for a guy like Broner, still props for moving up to WW. He had no obligation to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by 12TRIBEsRiSe View Post
              No he didn't. Broner never went up and fought the equivalent of Canelo in his first fight in a new weight class, he went up and fought Paulie the weakest welterweight ever. Another thing is Broner was ****ing massive at 130/135 pounds, cutting tons of weight, it was inevitable for him to move up and fight people his own size.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                That's not how it really works, not everybody is Pacquaio or prime Roy.

I respect your position and you do raise some good points, but I just don't see how this fight can be anything other than a cash grab for Khan. You are right that the clock is ticking on Rigo and GGG but those guys are sitting prettier than Khan career and legacy wise; top of their weight class, undefeated, and a top 3-5 P4P ranking. There's no financial incentive on the horizon (GGG has his at his division, just has to wait him out) for either guy to consider giving up a size advantage.

Perhap Khan just didn't want to risk losing to a fellow countryman in Brook?
                True that I can see where you're coming from. I'd figure he'd have a way better shot at beating Brook while making really good money. But I can see how damaging a loss to him can be for his career compared to being an underdog to Canelo.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                  Yup. Khan chased the big fight.

I love Rigo but he didn't test the waters at 126 and paid dearly. 126 has the big names and the most money and since he's giving up his advantages they will be more willing to fight him. I've spoken on GGG enough so no need to go after him again.

Smaller fighters that move up in weight and beat bigger guys is one of the things I love most about boxing.
                  That's exactly what I'm saying.

Comment

Rigondeaux is already fighting in a weight class 1 or 2 divisions above his natural weight class and GGG is already a small 160 lber.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                      And are you sure Ward wants to fight GGG?
                      See my issue with ward is if wanted to fight GGG he would have came back at SMW not light heavy. Yes he is coming back from a court battle and an injury but he is in good shape. My guess is he really had no intention of fighting GGG.

Comment

Working...
                      X