• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Stevenson lined up to fight? Havenet heard much

fill me in fellas

eleider alvarez

not a terrible defence. probably his second best after fonfara

Comment

Somebody mentioned the Fonfara rematch, and Fonfara's been tweeting about it. Also Eldier Alvarez is the WBC mandatory, I imagine that's coming up quick. There were also rumors about Edwin Rodriguez fighting Stevenson a while a ago.

To me, HBO is making a huge mistake. Their goal is to have their fighters become as big of stars as possible. Kovalev becomes a bigger star for them if he fights Stevenson on Showtime than if he fights someone like Chilemba in Russia or even some venue in the US. After the Pascal fight, hopefully somebody comes to their senses and gets that fight made, even if it's completely on Showtime.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
        Somebody mentioned the Fonfara rematch, and Fonfara's been tweeting about it. Also Eldier Alvarez is the WBC mandatory, I imagine that's coming up quick. There were also rumors about Edwin Rodriguez fighting Stevenson a while a ago.

To me, HBO is making a huge mistake. Their goal is to have their fighters become as big of stars as possible. Kovalev becomes a bigger star for them if he fights Stevenson on Showtime than if he fights someone like Chilemba in Russia or even some venue in the US. After the Pascal fight, hopefully somebody comes to their senses and gets that fight made, even if it's completely on Showtime.
        Respectfully, you are correct but Stevenson is not a bum. he has all the tools necessary to beat Kov. I know NSB likes to pretend its an easy win for KOv, but his backers at HBO know otherwise. Why risk him losing when you have a huge fight lined up for November.

with the news the negotiations fell through and HBO's plan to have Ward v Kov in November, I doubt it happens this year or ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post

What's wrong with putting it on a prime network like HBO? Most fighters would give up something just to be on HBO. Canelo, for one, switched to HBO.

Comment

They're saying Stevenson has another 6 months to make a voluntary defence before fighting Alvarez so he may fight someone else.

I like the Alvarez fight, EA can take a punch, he's reasonably fast and punches hard himself. He's younger too, Stevenson is 38.

Comment

if it is alvarez, i will be pleasantly surprised. that's a legit LHW title match

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                Respectfully, you are correct but Stevenson is not a bum. he has all the tools necessary to beat Kov. I know NSB likes to pretend its an easy win for KOv, but his backers at HBO know otherwise. Why risk him losing when you have a huge fight lined up for November.

with the news the negotiations fell through and HBO's plan to have Ward v Kov in November, I doubt it happens this year or ever.
                2 guys that can't draw at all=huge fight?

Comment

Originally posted by daggum View Post
                  2 guys that can't draw at all=huge fight?
                  Ward and Kov is a huge fight for true boxing fans. Its a fight between 2 of the better fighters in the world. For a casual fan like yourself, I could see why you would think otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Dunn View Post
                    Ward and Kov is a huge fight for true boxing fans. Its a fight between 2 of the better fighters in the world. For a casual fan like yourself, I could see why you would think otherwise.
                    it would probably generate less revenue than kovalev-stevenson, which would at least do big numbers in canada if not in the US

kov-stevenson and kov-ward probably do roughly equal numbers on US PPV, the only difference is that GYM wants HBO to split its audience with showtime whereas kov-ward gives them 100%

Comment

Working...
                    X