Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waddell investment down to the last 82M? OUT of (521M)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by original zero View Post
    Sugar Adam -

PBC ratings are already stronger than most sports leagues. They'll get a network deal. There is just too much demand for live sports and too many interested networks for one of them not to bite.

But if PBC bought time on only one network, they'd be restricting interest to just that one network. NBC knows PBC can draw them a few million viewers on a Saturday, so it's on to the next one. Now Fox knows it. Soon CBS will know it.

Every sports league benefits from multiple bidders when their rights are up for grabs.

The majority of PBC cards are irrelevant. Just taking up space on FS1 & Spike so nobody else can get on those channels.

What matters is the big Saturday cards on NBC, Fox, CBS, etc. Millions are watching. Millions will watch Thurman vs Porter.

Go look up what an NHL game does on NBC and then look up how much NBC pays for NHL . . .

You guys live in that HBO propaganda bubble, so the facts may not matter.
    Lol..

im not living in an "hbo propaganda bubble" I haven't even mentioned them

It's a proven combat sports television model that has worked repeatedly..

pbc literally has no brand recognition outside of hardcore boxing fans, yet they have been on the air for a year..

I have been one of the biggest supporters in these threads since pbc was announced.. But after a year, I think they are in the same spot as they were when it started. My biggest complaint is the scheduling. I'm not even saying it's going to fail and die.. I just think they are hindering themselves with their scheduling..,

Ufc was built around time buys on foxsports, then TV deal with spikeTV, then a major deal with fox... Step by step.. The same exact goal PBC wants to accomplish.. PBC should be following a very easy and successful blueprint..

It's like floyd, Oscar, and cotto were all smart enough to leave Bob arum and laid a blueprint, and manny was too dumb to follow the blueprint and resigned repeatedly with Bob arum.. PBC needs to be smart and follow the blueprint

Comment

• Eff Pandas -

Of course there is something to be said for building a regular audience and when these time buys are up, I'm sure they'll be looking to build a regular audience with one family of channels instead of several.

So while you're correct that being spread across so many channels does make it tougher for fans to follow, Haymon clearly believes the positives outweigh the negatives.

And I agree with him. Because if he just bought time on NBC, when the rights came due, CBS & Fox would be far less likely to bid than they would be if they'd already been given a chance to get familiar with the product and see that it can work on their network too.

THIS IS A PROOF OF CONCEPT STAGE.

And clearly Haymon believes it is wise to PROVE THEIR CONCEPT to more than one potential home. Seems smart to me. Yes, you'd build an audience a little quicker with just one network, but when the contract is up for grabs, you'd have far fewer bidders.

The trade off is a no brainer.

Comment

• all i wanted to know is if it's true the remaining amount is 82 million out of more than 500 million initial budget?

that's all i want to know.

True or Not?

Comment

• Sugar Adam -

People in a propaganda bubble obviously don't think they're in one. If they were aware of it, they'd break out of it.

You claim PBC has no recognition outside of "hardcore" fans, but if that's the case, please explain the following:

Bradley-Rios for the WBO welterweight title on HBO peaked at 1 million viewers.

Garcia-Guerrero for the WBC welterweight title on PBC peaked at 3.5 million viewers.

So at what point do you realize it's actually the HBO fights that have no recognition outside of hardcore fans?

HBO paid THREE MILLION DOLLARS for Bradley vs Rios.

Garcia vs Guerrero had 3.5x as many viewers!

PBC fighters are gaining mainstream exposure that will eventually make it impossible for HBO to compete.

Comment

• "all i wanted to know is if it's true the remaining amount is 82 million out of more than 500 million initial budget?"

not true

Comment

"all i wanted to know is if it's true the remaining amount is 82 million out of more than 500 million initial budget?"

not true
              Thank you very much sir.

Comment

Eff Pandas -

Of course there is something to be said for building a regular audience and when these time buys are up, I'm sure they'll be looking to build a regular audience with one family of channels instead of several.

So while you're correct that being spread across so many channels does make it tougher for fans to follow, Haymon clearly believes the positives outweigh the negatives.
                Well obviously Haymon believes the positives outweigh the negatives...he's using that strategy as we speak. I just think there is an argument to be made although its based on the assumption of what Haymon's real plan is, which I don't think anyone knows.

Comment

Sugar Adam -

People in a propaganda bubble obviously don't think they're in one. If they were aware of it, they'd break out of it.

You claim PBC has no recognition outside of "hardcore" fans, but if that's the case, please explain the following:

Bradley-Rios for the WBO welterweight title on HBO peaked at 1 million viewers.

Garcia-Guerrero for the WBC welterweight title on PBC peaked at 3.5 million viewers.

So at what point do you realize it's actually the HBO fights that have no recognition outside of hardcore fans?

HBO paid THREE MILLION DOLLARS for Bradley vs Rios.

Garcia vs Guerrero had 3.5x as many viewers!

PBC fighters are gaining mainstream exposure that will eventually make it impossible for HBO to compete.

Lmao....

Hbo pays for boxing because it's a premium network and people pay extra for it. People don't pay..

Yeah, no one knows any hbo boxers besides manny or floyd.. And no one will know pbc fighters because it's too randomly scheduled..

If I'm so wrong for wanting pbc to have a set channel/schedule, then name the combat sports/sports leagues that have spent hundreds of millions on buy-time across so many channels..

Ufc, wwe, TNA, bellator, lion, legacy, etc have all been successful in using the same blueprint that I'm discussing.. And all secured big money TV deals

Now tell me who has done what pbc is doing and landed a TV deal?????

Comment

• Don't believe this

Comment

• Eff Pandas -

I think it's pretty clear that Haymon's plan is to give as many networks a taste as possible so that when the rights go up for bid, he has as many interested parties as possible and the highest bidder will feel like not only are they gaining something, they're taking something away from all of their competitors.

Not to mention the incredible image boost and mainstream acceptance that comes from being on every major network imaginable. HBO paid $3 million for Tim Bradley to win the least prestigious welterweight title. The fight peaked at one million viewers.

Danny Garcia peaked at THREE AND A HALF million viewers when he won the most prestigious welterweight title. Even though Fox hadn't had prime time world championship boxing in decades. First fight right out of the gate, Danny Garcia's exposure on Fox completely obliterated the exposure you can get on HBO.

So if you're Joe Q Public. Who barely watched boxing, or never watched boxing, doesn't have HBO, etc. And over the course of 2-3 years, you keep seeing this "PBC" boxing pop up on NBC, CBS, Fox, ESPN, Spike, etc etc etc.

At some point, the fighters on those networks will be the most well known in the sport. It's simply math.

Sugar Adam -

The numbers prove that you are 100% incorrect.

Boxing was just on a random network for the first time in DECADES and *3.5 MILLION PEOPLE* were watching Danny Garcia. 3.5x what a fighter would do on HBO.

Boxing nerds can buy into the HBO propaganda like they always have, but right under their nose, the sport is being given back to the average sports fan. And it's long overdue. The boxing nerds will whine and moan every step of the way, but before you know it, HBO will be doing 500k, PBC will be doing 5 million, and at that point, there will be no turning back. Yes, it will take several years, but that day will come and at that point, HBO will be irrelevant.

What PBC is doing is completely unprecedented. Something never being done before is not proof it won't work. It's not proof of anything. It's only proof that nobody has tried this before.

Although it's really not THAT different from what put WWE on the map. WWE just had to buy the time from individual stations in each market. But they would be any random slot they could on any channel they could. They did NOT stick to just one network in the market. They got on as many as possible.

Comment

Working...
                      X