Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The IBF - Love 'em For Enforcing Their Rules or Hate 'em for Their Terrible Rankings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know that always enforcing the rules benefits us as fans. Their ranking system seems to have suffered because they are inflexible. Fighters often "opt out" of the IBF rankings so their rankings are not truly reflective of the sport.

If they followed the rules and their rankings reflected the best fighters in the division, then it would be great for fans.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
      You say: their rankings (are) generally crap + they enforce mandatories = give them credit for that...

Therefore: enforcing mandatories based on (generally) crap rankings equals credit??? WTF...
      They are two different subjects.

1 is enforcing rules
      2 is quality of the people who fall within those rules

You can appreciate one without having to appreciate the other.

In a perfect world they would have better rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
        Crap rankings aren't 100% their fault though.

1. They can't rank champions from other organizations
        2. The top fighters often drop out of the IBF rankings due to their strict mandatory requirements
        Really? Who prevents them, actually? The global warming?

This is simply hilarious... So: other organizations' champs are nullified only because they are somehow champs and/or good fighters?...

(I don't have something in particular against IBF, though...)
        Last edited by MDPopescu; 01-27-2016, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
          Really? Who prevents them, actually? The global warming?

This is simply hilarious... So: other organizations' champs are nullified only because they are somehow champs and/or good fighters?...

(I don't have something in particular against IBF, though...)

That's just common practice. Organizations don't rank champions and mandatories from other organizations for some reason. My guess is that there is some official or handshake agreement in place that prevents this.

Comment

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            Their rankings are generally crap. But they enforce mandatories, you've got to give them credit for that.
            Originally posted by MDPopescu
            You say: their rankings (are) generally crap + they enforce mandatories = give them credit for that...
            Therefore: enforcing mandatories based on (generally) crap rankings equals credit??? WTF...

Originally posted by LacedUp View Post
            They are two different subjects.

1 is enforcing rules
            2 is quality of the people who fall within those rules

You can appreciate one without having to appreciate the other.

In a perfect world they would have better rankings.

In a normal world you get normal rankings...

Comment

Originally posted by denium View Post
              The IBF are a bunch of scumbags just like the rest of the sanctioning bodies.

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/110...l#.VqiPDvmLS70
              their president was busted for that and they were under federal observation until 2004, which i guess induced them to clean up their act a little. unfortunately, they seem to have relapsed: http://www.boxingscene.com/former-ra...ruption--62828

according to the former ratings chairman, william james, the current ratings chairman, anibal miramontes, is corrupt. james was fired when he tried to report miramontes (who was just a ranking consultant at the time, i.e. his underling) to the treasurer for taking bribes, and miramontes was promoted in his place. gotta love boxing

Comment

Anyone who loves any abc group has no understanding of how they have fleeced the game with more weight divisions & title holders raping the meaning of the word "champion". Either these 4 main abc groups need to be gone or at least they need to combine themselves into one group & stop their corrupt practices.
                Last edited by Eff Pandas; 01-27-2016, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by original zero View Post
                  Because the IBF enforces their rules, top fighters often prefer to fight for organizations that are willing to bend the rules for top fighters.

Makes sense. If you're a big star, do you want to fight for the org that will give you preferential treatment or do you want to fight for the org that treats everybody equally?

So that is why the IBF rankings are the way they are. Those are the fighters willing to fight for the IBF and follow IBF rules.
                  Nailed it. Not going to say they are perfect by any stretch, but they try to get people to fight. The most recent example I can think of is when they wanted an eliminator between Khan and Bradley. From their perspective. what is the point of ranking guys if they have no intention of fighting each other.

Comment

Nothing against IBF ranking, they clearly don't just look to put Big Names in their Rankings like others, they seem to have a very diverse rankings with fighters from All Over The World

Kevin Bizier actually earned his title shot by upsetting Fredrick Lawson so it wasn't "Given To Him"

I've seen others like the WBC adjust their rankings based on popularity

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                      Nothing against IBF ranking, they clearly don't just look to put Big Names in their Rankings like others, they seem to have a very diverse rankings with fighters from All Over The World

Kevin Bizier actually earned his title shot by upsetting Fredrick Lawson so it wasn't "Given To Him"

I've seen others like the WBC adjust their rankings based on popularity
                      With the WBC/WBA and to a lesser extent the WBO, you just never know where you stand. Take for example Demetrius Andrade, my man, he jumped up to number 3 in the WBC rankings at 154 because the WBC wants him in their tourney. Yet to my knowledge he had never been ranked with the WBC. People talk **** about the IBF's rankings, but at least a guy that is ranked 6th knows he will be 6th as long as he does'nt lose and fights the people he is supposed to. That can't be said about the other organizations.

Comment

Working...
                      X