No announcement yet.

Is it just me or does boxing seem empty right now

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it just me or does boxing seem empty right now

So I was thinking boxing just seems dead right now. I dont know if its cause Mayweather is gone and manny is fighting a fight no one wants to see but boxing just seems to be lifeless. Maybe its just because not much has been going on at all but it just dont seem good.

No fights are getting made nothing is happening hbo is refusing to work with certain promoters, pbc top rank and gbp dont do business together. The biggest star right now is probably canelo and ggg and now they avoiding each other. Ward is always about to fight and never does.

I dont know maybe im overthinking it but dont boxing just seem to be asleep at the wheel right now?

Boxing is doing well man..year just started

Comment

Happy Mayweather is gone and Hope Bradley retires Pacquiao. I dont like Fury's style but glad he changed the HW division. Welterweights are going to have a showdown very soon ; Middleweight and LHW just got very interesting - get ready.

Comment

I think there's a few reasons for that.

1. Mayweather and Pacquiao were consistently doing great numbers and skewed fans idea of what a top talent boxer can produce.

2. Boxing is very fractured right now with many rival promotions unwilling to work together.

3. The Mayweather/Pacquiao effect. 2009 would have produced a better fight between the two but you'd be an idiot to claim that it would have done better financially. So now you have top fighters unwilling to fight other top fighters at the moment because they believe, and perhaps rightly so, that if they wait a while and "let the fight build" it will be worth more.

4. Because of reasons 2 and 3 a lot of top talent boxers may be considered at the top of their division, but they lack any career defining wins that put them into that special category. They're not building legacies but building towards big money fights.

Comment

It seems dead in America, not in the UK , British boxing is leading the way !! True facts

Comment

it's the quiet before the storm, brother

Comment

boxing is emptier than pbc's stock portfolio!

Comment

IMO you're right, Cinci. Floyd's retirement has left a gaping hole in the sport's popularity. Pac fighting Bradley again is just... lame. Cotto's star is diminished due to loss to Canelo.

And the fact that none of the big fights are happening is also a big downer. If we knew for certain that these fights would happen in 2016, we could get excited:
                Ward/Kov
                Roman/Estrada or Roman/Inoue
                Canelo/GGG
                The WW tourney
                Even sign the Fury/Wlad rematch already!

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post
                  So I was thinking boxing just seems dead right now. I dont know if its cause Mayweather is gone and manny is fighting a fight no one wants to see but boxing just seems to be lifeless. Maybe its just because not much has been going on at all but it just dont seem good.

No fights are getting made nothing is happening hbo is refusing to work with certain promoters, pbc top rank and gbp dont do business together. The biggest star right now is probably canelo and ggg and now they avoiding each other. Ward is always about to fight and never does.

I dont know maybe im overthinking it but dont boxing just seem to be asleep at the wheel right now?
                  I made similar thread two years ago and the mods deleted it I guess because it was against their interests. But this sport is full of ****. You can't wait forever until the fights get made. Your life goes by waiting to see the fights you wanna see, and they never happen. It sucks. Bye bye boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Cinci Champ View Post

Boxing is in a great place right now! Tons to talk about!

I think you are just nervous and have those calm-before-the-storm butterflies because you know your dude Broner from Cincy is still ducking a semi retired Maidana, and Wilder has about as long to live, as Fury lets him.

One of my fighters is always on top, so I don't know that feeling.

Comment

Working...
                    X