Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do certain posters want PBC to fail and get happy if they have low numbers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PBC has its good and bad matchups but **** we got fights like Mares vs Santa Cruz and Broner vs Porter and several other good matchups.

People seem to forget they're even fans of the sport and would rather root for the guys behind the scenes providing the sport to them to fail. It makes no sense.

People act like ESPN Friday Night Fights even gave us ShoBox level fights before

PBC is literally the best thing to happen to boxing, otherwise the sport will die with a new generation of fans who can't afford housing and paying for premium ****ing channels.

Comment

Originally posted by HeroBando View Post
      If you care about the sport then you gotta think about what its gonna do to it if this fails, as is likely. Better off, worse, or status quo? It could do a lot of damage:

1. Turn off many casuals, as the ratings indicate
      2. Gonna be looong time before anyone dares put boxing on network TV again
      3. Haymon clearly wants to bring down HBO boxing, which would be horrible for the sport. Showtime boxing is in the dumps, spending tons more than 5 years ago for fewer fights and falling ratings. What if the premium networks lose their commitment?
      4. It's badly skewed purse expectations, so that these guys want 3-5x the market rate to fight the top guy in their division
      How much interest did the major promoters ever really show in airing fights on network television? Before PBC the only boxing you would see was a few espn bouts every now and then and some rare solid matches on univision and telemundo.

The casual fans will always be there, but it's the next generation of fans who stumble on to the sport on free tv who will keep the sport alive, sure early on some fights might be **** but that's where you find a diamond, in the rough.

Comment

Can't even remember the last memorable fight on PBC, is PBC still free?

Comment

Originally posted by ElMeroChingon View Post
          Can't even remember the last memorable fight on PBC, is PBC still free?
          Knockout of the year was just on tonight

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
            Because first al Haymon ripped off HBO and all of it's subscribers.

Than after getting everything he wanted and letting hbo build up his stars he went to Showtime and ripped off there network and there subscribers.

Than he ripped off golden boy and stole everything he had worked his life for.

Than he ripped off the only investors in the world willing to give boxing on a bigger scale a chance. Boxing on network tv is dead.

Than he charged us 100$ for the worst ppv fight ever, and destroyed any chance for a lot of casuals to become hardcores.

He black doe....
            Wasn't Top Rank also part of that PPV?

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
              Please list your reasons why you want to see boxing of free television fail,its not PPV and it gives us more boxing even throughout the week. So why do certain posters get happy when it gets low viewing rates?
              They think the product sucks and their opinions are validated when it doesn't do well. The same reason anyone roots against anything.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                Please list your reasons why you want to see boxing of free television fail,its not PPV and it gives us more boxing even throughout the week. So why do certain posters get happy when it gets low viewing rates?
                I wish it success but not if it's going to have the majority of the fights being mismatches.

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
                  So you would prefer that the best basketball players be spread across 8 different leagues, with the best teams rarely playing each other?

Or 8 tennis tours where the best players rarely play each other?

In sports, a monopoly is in the best interest of the fans.

Yes. Definitely. How would it be better for MMA fans if there were 8 mediocre leagues and the top fighters never fought each other?
                  are you really trying to compare boxing (an individual sport) to basketball (a team sport with regional / national fanbase)? The Knicks could lose 25 games in a row, and still not lose a single fan. Tell me a fighter that could do that.

Look, I understand what you're getting at, and maybe its one of the goals of PBC. Trying to get casuals to watch "boxing", regardless of who is actually fighting. Well, its never going to happen. At least not at the elite level. It works at the ESPN / Telemundo level, but it does not work at the top level.

As for MMA, sure, Dana White has done a good job with marketing and production. But is the product really better than back when Pride and other companies were there? Think about it. UFC has been in business over 20 years, and just a month ago the most notable fighter in their stable was rhonda friggin rousey. Let that sink in for a minute. Also, look at what those fighters make vs what UFC makes. The fighters have no option but to accept whatever crumbs dana wants to throw their way.....
                  Last edited by OnePunch; 12-09-2015, 01:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
                    are you really trying to compare boxing (an individual sport) to basketball (a team sport with regional / national fanbase)? The Knicks could lose 25 games in a row, and still not lose a single fan. Tell me a fighter that could do that.

Look, I understand what you're getting at, and maybe one of the goals of PBC. Trying to get casuals to watch "boxing", regardless of who is actually fighting. Well, its never going to happen. At least not at the elite level. It works at the ESPN / Telemundo level, but it does not work at the top level.

As for MMA, sure, Dana White has done a good job with marketing and production. But is the product really better than back when Pride and other companies were there? Think about it. UFC has been in business over 20 years, and just a month ago the most notable fighter in their stable was rhonda friggin rousey. Let that sink in for a minute. Also, look at what those fighters make vs what UFC makes. The fighters have no option but to accept whatever crumbs dana wants to throw their way.....
                    The UFC is a great example of a sports monopoly that is bad for nearly everyone but the company holding the monopoly. Their fighters get paid peanuts compared to top boxers precisely because they have no real negotiating power, if they don't like fighting in the UFC they are basically ****ed.

Your point about this being an individual sport is really important and something that boxing fans always seem to miss when comparing this to other sports. Really you can't even compare boxing to tennis which, while being an individual sport, also benefits from having matches that don't give its losing athletes brain damage.

Comment

Originally posted by saint laurent
                      One Punch -

You said a monopolies are never a good thing, even though a monopoly is the best thing possible FOR THE FANS in every single other sport and I believe it would be the best thing possible FOR THE FANS in boxing as well.

Doesn't mean Haymon can pull it off, but if he does, THE FANS will benefit. You complain about UFC fighters accepting crumbs, but how is that bad FOR THE FANS of UFC?

If there are two stars in a weight division and the fans want to see them fight, they probably will. If MMA didn't have a dominant league, the stars would be spread across several promotions and the fights the fans want to see most wouldn't happen.

If you believe it'll never happen, that is what you believe and I can't tell you you're wrong. We'll have to wait and see.

But a monopoly IS a good thing for the fans, if someone can pull it off. You don't see football fans wishing the NFL and AFL had never merged do you? Or that the NBA and ABA had never merged?

Or if you don't like team sport comparisons, does the average fan wish their favorite fighters were still spread across UFC, Strikeforce, Pride, Elite XC or anything else? Would the average fan be upset if UFC absorbed all of Bellator's fighters and could make fresh matches with their biggest stars?

Look, as someone IN THE BUSINESS, I was crushed when UFC bought Strikeforce. I'd busted my ass for Showtime and Strikeforce, but I have to remove any bias and accept that FOR THE FANS, it was a great thing.

PPV is dying. Boxing was going to need a revolution one way or the other.

Boxing is too large to be run by one entity. Its a global sport with what, 10,000 pro fighters or more? UFC has what, 400 or so? you are comparing apples to oranges. For example, Boxrec lists 1307 active boxers in the middleweight division by itself. Thats basically 3 times UFCs entire roster just in 1 division, and the 1307 is only the guys who have fought in the last 12 months. To think that one entity could manage it is really just silly. And I dont say that to be dismissive. I just think you are overlooking the actual scale of what you are talking about........
                      Last edited by OnePunch; 12-09-2015, 02:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X