No announcement yet.

Fury took a chapter out of the Hopkins/Winky book

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fury took a chapter out of the Hopkins/Winky book

How do you beat a great textbook pattern fighter who might be faster, super alert on the defense and very accurate with his jab based style with straight right follow-ups and explosive hooks? First of all, if you're Tyson Fury, you hope for a faded version of Wlad Klit, fair enough, but on fight night there are no excuses, only execution, and more than Ward/Kessler, his tactics reminded me of Hopkins/Wright.

Despite Wlad being quick and accurate with often pawing jab, you do enough head and upper body movement and be alert to be inside or outside of his landing range, and you can make your head as a target disappear. Wlad would've liked to land that left hook, but it's a rehearsed punch that a great fighter can sense, and Fury moved inside or ducked under to not get caught.

Wlad's too much of a head hunter anyway, and only "risks" the straight right when feeling comfortable, so Fury only really had to take away the jab buy being a moving, disappearing target and catch Wlad on the inside, when he's illegally turning away (many rabbit puches were intended as legal ones) or when he TIMED Wlad's attacks, both with defensive and offensive moves. No matter if Haye was much faster if he never had tactical superiority, he never saw Wlad's actions before they happened and never was able to time him.

Now onto Vitali, at 38 he would've absolutely massacred Tyson exactly because he's NOT textbook or predictable, and cause having more ring IQ, better timing and a Golovkin sense of aggression. Vitali's extremely hard to read and I always found it funny how anyone could call Wlad the better Klit, he's just an ATG textbook fighter with a punch, Vitali's a A+++ boxing genius. I guess we'll never see him fighting Tyson, who pulled a Hopkins on Wlad, and his small defensive movement and all-range fighting resulted in something that appeared ugly, but for the boxing fan, actually was a masterclass in sweet science.

Congrats!

oh okay...

Comment

Working...
    X