No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: WBC Prez: Cotto Questioning Rule That Made Him Champ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by saint laurent
    if the belts are meaningless, why does the entire sport revolve around them?
    The sport revolves around money not belts (as this fight happening at all should show cuz GGG has been first in line since Martinez was the title holder iirc lol). Belts just are a means towards that end. Fans are nuts about belts & legacies & all that noble type of ****, but the cats in the ring are fighting for & trying to get bigger money (like virtually everyone is to one degree or another). Titles help with that even if they take 3%.

And thats not to say GGG or anyone else is lying when they say they want titles, but the bottom line is titles make more money for fighters & even title shots make you more money when you don't got one so if all else fails in self promotion or you are still in the process of building up things a title is the easiest way to more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
      "This is about principle"

The principle of robbing mfers.

I definitely agree with the WBC guy that Cotto owes GGG $800k, but what I don't get is why the WBC is the middleman in all this. Shouldn't Cotto just be paying GGG like what typical goes down in a step aside arrangement? Why is the WBC involved in that money agreement & exchange at all? Seems like a A & B conversation & the WB can C their way out.
      They aren't. They didnt "de-recognize" Cotto over not paying the step-aside, they did it because he wouldnt pay their sanction fee. The step-aside thing is a civil matter between K2/GGG and Roc/Cotto. The WBCs only involvement in that was requiring a step-aside deal as a prerequisite for sanctioning Cotto-Canelo as a WBC title fight.

Comment

Originally posted by Progrssive_Jedi View Post
        Where you upset when they did the same thing to let Cotto gain another division title?

Doubt it!
        Dude.... I'm not here crying about what the WBC didn't do or did do.

They didn't say anything about the Cotto/Martinez/Rubio situation. Nothing. It happens to GGG and everyone loses their freakin minds

Comment

Big Javi -
          Hard to have a conversation with someone that primarily offers emojis instead of words. By any chance are you a 12 year old girl?y state that they can do whatever they want, then they aren't breaking their rules.

You here talking about boxing & saying that you promote shit..... & YOU DONT EVEN PROMOTE BOXING HAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm promoting a wrestling card tomorrow night. I don't promote boxing cards.
          dork

Comment

Flatline -

So if millions of dollars are spent on the belts and the belts have an almost absolute stranglehold and which fights get made, how stars get made, etc, how can they possibly be "meaningless?" Unless of course we're taking the philosophical position that boxing itself is meaningless, which you could very well argue.

Kagami -

Please show me which WBC rule prevents a unification with an interim champion. I'll wait. My attorney has read the WBC rules forwards and backwards a dozen times. It's not in there.

Its the "but but but Cotto a-side boss doe" rule. (Its not widely known)

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
              They aren't. They didnt "de-recognize" Cotto over not paying the step-aside, they did it because he wouldnt pay their sanction fee. The step-aside thing is a civil matter between K2/GGG and Roc/Cotto. The WBCs only involvement in that was requiring a step-aside deal as a prerequisite for sanctioning Cotto-Canelo as a WBC title fight.
              It sounded to me like the WBC was asking Cotto for $1.1M. The actual dispute was over the $300k I understand, but idu why the WBC is talking about or requesting the $800k. That should be an issue between GGG & Cotto & their people & $800k shouldn't be a number the WBC is mentioning let alone asking for.

This seems like a weird step aside situation with the WBC playing the middleman in the exchange. My understanding is the alphabet group isn't usually involved in this capacity.

Comment

Originally posted by i'm a fun haver View Post
                Cotto had no problem paying sanctioning fees until he has to fight Golovkin next. Funny how that works out lol
                People are trying to make it about something else but it's painfully obvious that Cotto wants to pretend to be a MW champ only when it doesn't involve GGG.

Comment

Of course he is view as a coward by some people but think about this...: SO WHAT??

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    It sounded to me like the WBC was asking Cotto for $1.1M. The actual dispute was over the $300k I understand, but idu why the WBC is talking about or requesting the $800k. That should be an issue between GGG & Cotto & their people & $800k shouldn't be a number the WBC is mentioning let alone asking for.

This seems like a weird step aside situation with the WBC playing the middleman in the exchange. My understanding is the alphabet group isn't usually involved in this capacity.
                    The WBC isnt mentioning it. Suiliaman even said there was a confidentiality clause and he couldnt comment on it. Obviously they had to be involved in at least ensuring a step-aside agreement was in place, or they could not have sanctioned Cotto-Canelo. As to the substance of the step-aside deal, the WBC is not interested in the details, and is only concerned about their 300k sanction fee

Comment

Javi -

I am a licensed boxing promoter and very familiar with the WBC's rules. I promote all sorts of events and have worked behind the scenes in wrestling, MMA and boxing for 17 years. I don't promote boxing because the cost of entry is ridiculous and the vast majority of promoters lose money. It's a fool's errand and it was a dying business until Al Haymon came along.

You're unable to counter any of my arguments, so you resort to petty name calling. Which typically indicates that there are deficiencies in your life that you are compensating for. Perhaps you're unhappy at work or school, with you're family, or in your love life. If it makes you feel better about yourself to name call like a child would, be my guest. I am here to discuss the business of boxing. If you don't have anything of substance to say, perhaps you should remain quiet while adults are speaking.
                      Dude, can you please go and promote something. OMG!

Comment

Working...
                      X