Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perfect example of why it's better to sign with Al Haymon instead of Bob Arum

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perfect example of why it's better to sign with Al Haymon instead of Bob Arum

Here's a perfect example of why it's better to sign with Al Haymon than Bob Arum.

Talented middleweight Sergiy Derevyanchenko (6-0) managed by Al Haymon is fighting on Showtime this coming Saturday. This is excellent exposure for an up-and-coming boxer.

Now Konstantin Ponomarev (28-0) and Oleksandr Gvozdyk (7-0) promoted by Bob Arum are both scheduled to fight on an undercard of a Top Rank card Nov 20. There are two other fights on the card being televised by TruTV.

Both are as talented (if not more so) than Derevyanchenko, but both are fighting OFF TV, even though Ponomarev is facing a better opponent (Rico Mueller 19-1-1 who has never been stopped) than Derevyanchenko.
    Last edited by The Hammer; 11-12-2015, 11:43 AM.

BOXING: BOB ARUM’S LAWSUIT AGAINST AL HAYMON GETS KNOCKED DOWN

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Box...ked-Down-94483

Comment

Didn't NSB teach me Al Haymon is the devil?

Comment

Originally posted by El Pistolero View Post
        Didn't NSB teach me Al Haymon is the devil?
        Haymon is good for the boxers he manages. He gets them TV exposure and keeps them active.

In contrast, Arum pays them poorly, and often kills their motivation and causes their decline from lack of meaningful opportunities and inactivity/poor competition.

Comment

Top Rank has had a very tough year, no question.

It is hard for them to get many of their fighters dates because Haymon bought time on every network and HBO has a limited budget + works with other promoters and is invested in stars unaffiliated with top rank (Canelo, Golovkin, Kovalev, etc).

There is a reason for the lawsuits...not just envy and hurt feelings.

But I've said this before: If you are an average or above average fighter, signing with Haymon is the way to go. If you can be a star, signing with someone other than Haymon is the way to go. Imagine if Verdejo was a Haymon fighter...he would just be another one of the guys getting no extra push.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
            Here's a perfect example of why it's better to sign with Al Haymon than Bob Arum.

Talented middleweight Sergiy Derevyanchenko (6-0) managed by Al Haymon is fighting on Showtime this coming Saturday. This is excellent exposure for an up-and-coming boxer.

Now Konstantin Ponomarev (28-0) and Oleksandr Gvozdyk (7-0) promoted by Bob Arum are both scheduled to fight on an undercard of a Top Rank card Nov 20. There are two other fights on the card being televised by TruTV.

Both are as talented (if not more so) than Derevyanchenko, but both are fighting OFF TV, even though Ponomarev is facing a better opponent (Rico Mueller 19-1-1 who has never been stopped) than Derevyanchenko.
            That's why I like this whole PBC thing. You can have the chance to see a fighter very early in his career and follow it..... much like it was back in the day...

Cuz what others do is wait till like 15-20 fights vs bums.... and that's when you get to see them. (unless its a fighter they want to push on the public)

Comment

I think right now I could argue on reasons it'd be better to sign with Haymon/PBC over Arum but idk if what you are bringing up would be one of the reasons.

The way Arum works is to build up his name or potential name guys over several years. You will never really see his name guys get beat & seldom see the guys he's grooming be beat until he's ready for them to be beat vs his name guys (Ivan Najera is a perfect example). He's great at that. And these two cats just can't compete with the Jesse Hart, Andy Ruiz, Brad Solomon, etc type guys right now for Arum's attention at bringing them up.

I also think its hard to build up Russian/Russian state fighters in the US. Loma isn't nearly as big as he arguably should be. Even GGG underwhelmed buy-wise in his first PPV fight. Idk that Arum sees random Russian guys as viable stars on his roster right now that can sell tickets & attract viewers.

Comment

Originally posted by PK3434 View Post
                But I've said this before: If you are an average or above average fighter, signing with Haymon is the way to go. If you can be a star, signing with someone other than Haymon is the way to go. Imagine if Verdejo was a Haymon fighter...he would just be another one of the guys getting no extra push.
                Gvozdyk is just as good as Kovalev and Stevenson, but Arum is not doing anything for his career. Ponomarev is a top talent and has 28 fights, any other promoter would have him in a televised main event.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                  Gvozdyk is just as good as Kovalev and Stevenson, but Arum is not doing anything for his career. Ponomarev is a top talent and has 28 fights, any other promoter would have him in a televised main event.
                  I'm not necessarily defending top rank. Arum is a Di*k...but what other American promoter would have Gvozdyk or Ponomarev in a televised main event right now? Maybe Golden Boy but maybe not. Because of pbc, these other promoters simply can't get dates. I doubt it is from lack of trying. Haymon has paid to litter many channels full of boxing in a country that really doesn't like boxing very much. It's hard for other promoters to overcome this unless they become his employees and give up all power, decision making, and dignity (like DiBella).

Comment

top rank has fed us the same fights for years some were pretty good... if Alvarado was healthy hed be fighting bradley next and if rios looked good he would be figting Crawford next lol all these "in house" fights outside of pac Floyd which was a money fight. but for some reason there is this big cry against haymon as if all these other companies are putting on these great "best vs best" fights lol

Comment

Working...
                    X