Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the closest fighter ever to being perfect?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bozbay View Post
    True, but does Floyd have the power you would like in a 'perfect fighter'? His style and record is perfect, as you said..
    I'd say yes in his prime at 130/135 lbs. He was known as a power puncher then. Not the welterweight version.

Comment

• Originally posted by tangalog2200 View Post
      the man who was so awesome showing attributes of a very well honed boxer in his first fight with sonny liston in 1964 was still called clay....

his footwork, speed, timing, defense and athleticism was a sight to behold....
      Yeah...and then he announced his conversion (which had taken place many months before) to the public literally a couple days later. A few days after that, he was Muhammad Ali. He then went on to defend the title multiple times, at his absolute peak, while called Muhamamd Ali.

I feel you have a problem with the name, considering you obviously know all this. If you don't, then I'm arguing with a brick wall.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
        I'd say yes in his prime at 130/135 lbs. He was known as a power puncher then. Not the welterweight version.
        Oh ffs, where do these idiots come from?

Comment

• Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
          why are people saying RJJ or Lopez? Were those guys ever tested against truly great fighters while the fighters were in their prime? How do we know how good they really were?

Based on attributes (tested against the best), how can there really be an answer beyond Ali or Robinson. Both guys had tremendous speed, both were athletic, ATG chins, punch selection, punch accuracy, power (people underrate Ali's punch power) and both were pleasing on the eye in different ways. Robinson was so fluid in attack, Ali so brilliant in defense. Both guys had their mettle tested against the very best.

Leonard, Hagler, Armstrong and possibly Pep are runners up.
          List 5 ATGs that Ray Robinson beat in their primes. Reasons why they were ATGs would be appreciated too.
          Last edited by Dip_Slide; 08-31-2016, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Oh ffs, where do these idiots come from?
            I'm not gonna dignify your insults, but watch Floyd at 130/135, even up to 140. He was a sight to behold. That's where he had most of his KOs. The guy I was responding to said Floyd would be a candidate for THE perfect fighter if he had more power. I agree.

Your anger is misplaced.

Good day.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
              I'm not gonna dignify your insults, but watch Floyd at 130/135, even up to 140. He was a sight to behold. That's where he had most of his KOs. The guy I was responding to said Floyd would be a candidate for THE perfect fighter if he had more power. I agree.

Your anger is misplaced.

Good day.
              He was never known as a power puncher. Where did you even get that idea from?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                List 5 ATGs that Ray Robinson beat in their primes. Reasons why they were ATGs would be appreciated too.
                Oh come on, this has been said time and time again on this forum. If you have to ask me, then there really isn't any point in answering that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
                  Sammy Angott (3-0)
                  Kid Gavilan (2-0)
                  Jake Lamotta (5-1)
                  Henry Armstrong (1-0)
                  Gene Fullmer (1-2-1)
                  Carmen Basillio (1-1)
                  Fritzie Zivic (2-0)

Some greats on Sugar Ray's resume there and his record against them.

Some of those are above his best weight and beyond his prime years (such as Fullmer and Basillio)

I could keep going with hall of famers and title holders (Olson, Bell, Turpin, Graziano etc) and contenders

Questioning Robinsons resume is a dead end, son
                  Last edited by Tom Cruise; 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM.

Comment

He was never known as a power puncher. Where did you even get that idea from?
                    I got it from what I saw with my own eyes as well as what was said by many commentators at the time (during fights). There are videos of that on this site too.

Floyd was a little powerful beast from 130 to 140.

Comment

• Ricardo Lopez is the closest fight I have ever seen to being perfect. I will never forget a fight on Showtime when he was dominating as usual and was caught with a crisp punch in the 7th or 8th round. He came back to his corner and instantly apologized for getting hit.

Comment

Working...
                      X