Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waddell+Reed's PBC investment has lost 59% of it's value.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
    I'm with you on that but let's be realistic. What actual shot did this have at becoming a success? Not many people follow the sport as they used to, I mean even if they were putting on good matchups on paper it doesn't mean it would translate to good fights in the ring. Also they are putting cards on channels that nobody knows(or at least I've never heard of before), I mean "Bounce", what the heck is that!? Now when they have fights on NBC and channels like it's a good thing. The scheduling of a lot of these fights is weird too, cause they go up against a lot of competition like the World Series and others. It's kinda sad but I honestly didn't see this doing real well before it began.
    The reason it has been doomed from the beginning because it is basically one stable (Haymon's) doing it. Now, while he has the largest pool of fighters, think about all the great and/or marketable fighters who will not be fighting on PBC cards - GGG, Kovalev, Canelo, Cotto, Klitschko, Pacquiao, Marquez, Ward, Crawford, Bradley, Loma, Chocalito, etc.

What we essentially needed was all the promoters to agree to at this together, not just Haymon. TR, GBP, K2, Roc Nation, Main Events etc. But that was never going to happen.

What I think Haymon counted on (and maybe still is) is to squeeze everyone else out, so all the fighters sign up with anyway. But he's blowing through so much money, and al for.....what? Do you really see PBC making inroads into the public consciousness, like it needs to?

It is really very obvious indeed it is not going to work.

Comment

I'd love to see a detailed list of how the money was spent. If I'm understanding this right & they spent $314M from March to September that seems nuts & 100% unsustainable. I'd assume the bulk of this is the TV time & production needs at the start so its not like the 2nd six months will look like the 1st six months. Or I'd hope that is the case. Should be interesting to see the 4Q numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by Pac=Duran View Post
        https://www.reddit.com/r/Boxing/comm...or_q3_results/

This is a massive failure. I don't see how anyone can say otherwise.

Incoming: "Businesses usually lose money Blah blah blah"

Maybe PBC's whole aim was to destroy boxing as it is too politically incorrect.

But anyway, looks like there is no way in hell that they will be able to this money back.
        This is a ******ed post. Investment properties lose money all the time. Three investment funds that contributed money to PBC (which I am sure is a very small part of their investment) lose money and some lame ass blogger decides that it is all the responsibility of PBC. By this time next year, those investment funds may be up by 10 percent. If they are, it won't have anything to do with PBC.

Making this comparison is the equivalent of a child looking at the moon and saying t'he moon is yellow; therefore it must be made of cheese."

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
          I'd love to see a detailed list of how the money was spent. If I'm understanding this right & they spent $314M from March to September that seems nuts & 100% unsustainable. I'd assume the bulk of this is the TV time & production needs at the start so its not like the 2nd six months will look like the 1st six months. Or I'd hope that is the case. Should be interesting to see the 4Q numbers.
          A lot of it is start up costs probably. The initial advertising campaign, buying TV time, building the brand, etc. Now that it's been introduced to the market those costs should come down.

Comment

Originally posted by boxinghead530 View Post
            I hear yea on their three year plan but this thing is less than a year old and they have already lost more this half of its value. If this trend continues sponsorship won't be there because the value of this product will be zero in less than a year from today.
            They haven't "lost" anything. Step back from the NSB narrative for a second. These are the same posters who thought the Showtime deal would fail.

They invested x amount to start up a platform. As expected, they are spending a significant amount creating the brand, marketing it and putting on shows. As expected. That's what's happening. People are crying that they're losing money. No, they're using money. The same money they allocated for this very purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
              Imagine being an investor and seeing Quillin/Jacobs on Showtime....

Thanks Al...
              Have no choice, because they're bleeding money so fast, they way to slow the losses down is put some on revenue producing TV, and that is SHO

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                No. That's how you structure your portfolio. You diversify with risky investments and safe investments. You hope that one of your risky ventures hits a home run but you already anticipate that some will fail. If PBC (Media Group Holdings) fails they hope to make it up with a gain elsewhere.
                The investment group will be fine. But if this pbc investment completely flops they won't reinvest in it again and after that nobody will invest in boxing on free network tv again

Comment

This is actually a non story. A upstart business taking a loss in its early stagesm quit common.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                    They haven't "lost" anything. Step back from the NSB narrative for a second. These are the same posters who thought the Showtime deal would fail.

They invested x amount to start up a platform. As expected, they are spending a significant amount creating the brand, marketing it and putting on shows. As expected. That's what's happening. People are crying that they're losing money. No, they're using money. The same money they allocated for this very purpose.
                    They invested over 500 million dollars into this thing. What happens if the value of there investment gets to zero? They invest more money?

Comment

Originally posted by PBP. View Post
                      Exactly. It hasn't even been a year yet. These losses mean nothing.

The bigger problem is whether or not they are attracting advertisers and starting to see an uptick in revenue. We won't know that unless we see their books. If you see revenue growth over the next year or so the investors will keep funding it.
                      I don't think they are making enough for Al Haymon to rub two dimes together before they get TV deals, they might be able to get close but there is a reason all sports sell their rights and don't buy time it is inefficient and takes away from the focus on the sporting product.

They couldn't just do that though, if you want to look at a sporting story in the US starting from scratch and becoming a success in recent time look at MLS they have blown through all sorts of money (including buying TV time) and one billionaire essentially thought it could grow into something and it has turned around a great deal. Is has taken a couple decades to get to that light at the end of the tunnel but if soccer can succeed in the US and even grow to thrive then so can boxing.

Mistakes will be made and money will be lost but are they building up a value to their brand. It is pretty early to judge that and they could be around losing money for a long ass time, if it shows some promise.

Comment

Working...
                      X