Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waddell+Reed's PBC investment has lost 59% of it's value.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
    I'm with you on that but let's be realistic. What actual shot did this have at becoming a success? Not many people follow the sport as they used to, I mean even if they were putting on good matchups on paper it doesn't mean it would translate to good fights in the ring. Also they are putting cards on channels that nobody knows(or at least I've never heard of before), I mean "Bounce", what the heck is that!? Now when they have fights on NBC and channels like it's a good thing. The scheduling of a lot of these fights is weird too, cause they go up against a lot of competition like the World Series and others. It's kinda sad but I honestly didn't see this doing real well before it began.
    Depends on how you define success. Which depends on how they define success. If I had to guess, the goal is to get enough sponsors at some point during the three year plan to carry the platform for subsequent years. I bet they have more up their sleeve after that.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
      They would likely be happy because Showtime is putting money into the pot?

Showtime is a PBC ally so I fail to see why they would find that some huge issue.
      Showtime is a completely seperate entity from PBC.

No, there is no way investors are happy to see there fighters fighting on another network. It also shows that NONE of these guys are signed to PBC.

I really don't think the investors understood what they were getting into with Haymon. Haymon is stealing from these guys, plain and simple.

When PBC falls, Haymon will just take his fighters to someone else.

Comment

From jump everyone in the boxing industry said how this was an extremely risky investment. How much longer can they afford to sustain losses before they pull the plug?

Ive said it time and time again. What's hurting PBC the most is its inconsistsnt boxing schedule. Network hopping along with having fights on random days and times makes it hard to build a following. Especially when you're not putting on quality cards. Sad part is he has the fighters to make this big fights and for whatever reason he just chooses not to!

Comment

Originally posted by Deevel916 View Post
          From jump everyone in the boxing industry said how this was an extremely risky investment. How much longer can they afford to sustain losses before they pull the plug?

Ive said it time and time again. What's hurting PBC the most is its inconsistsnt boxing schedule. Network hopping along with having fights on random days and times makes it hard to build a following. Especially when you're not putting on quality cards. Sad part is he has the fighters to make this big fights and for whatever reason he just chooses not to!
          First they have to "sustain" a loss.

Comment

Originally posted by Rip Chudd View Post
            I'm with you on that but let's be realistic. What actual shot did this have at becoming a success? Not many people follow the sport as they used to, I mean even if they were putting on good matchups on paper it doesn't mean it would translate to good fights in the ring. Also they are putting cards on channels that nobody knows(or at least I've never heard of before), I mean "Bounce", what the heck is that!? Now when they have fights on NBC and channels like it's a good thing. The scheduling of a lot of these fights is weird too, cause they go up against a lot of competition like the World Series and others. It's kinda sad but I honestly didn't see this doing real well before it began.
            Well this thing may have been doomed to fail no matter what. But if they put on super fights each and evey time and didn't go from network to network at different times of the day and evening and just stuck to one or maybe channels and did a regular Saturday night boxing tradition maybe things would be so bad. They did have a few good matchups but they put on quite a bit of terrible mismatches and terrible fights.

There modo going is to just overflood the channels with boxing and do that the quality wasn't there. If they had scaled back the flooding and only broadcasted the very special fights then things IMO wouldn't be so bad.

Because in less than a year from today their value can be in the negative and that means bye bye free boxing. Sad for us fans.

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post

No shit? Where? Because he's everywhere (except for HBO).

... Or did mean he will take his fighters to Zee Germans?

Comment

Originally posted by AddiX View Post
                Showtime is a completely seperate entity from PBC.

No, there is no way investors are happy to see there fighters fighting on another network. It also shows that NONE of these guys are signed to PBC.

I really don't think the investors understood what they were getting into with Haymon. Haymon is stealing from these guys, plain and simple.

Showtime is not really separate at all currently, that is pretty much where all their fights come from on the high end. So the guys PBC builds up continue to build on Showtime with no extra cost to them, then coming back to PBC.

Boxing is a star driven business and money only really comes when stars are built then harvested. Showtime and PBC are all on the same side currently in that game.

Those guys know what they are doing with their money, and if they don't that is their problem losing it.

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                  Depends on how you define success. Which depends on how they define success. If I had to guess, the goal is to get enough sponsors at some point during the three year plan to carry the platform for subsequent years. I bet they have more up their sleeve after that.
                  I hear yea on their three year plan but this thing is less than a year old and they have already lost more than half of its value. If this trend continues sponsorship won't be there because the value of this product will be zero in less than a year from today.

Comment

Originally posted by MDPopescu View Post
                    No shit? Where? Because he's everywhere (except for HBO).

... Or did mean he will take his fighters to Zee Germans?
                    He means he doesn't know what he's talking about.

All sorts of stupid in that post, but normal for him.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                      It is really nothing though because they are not even in the medium term yet, they are still at the beginning of what is a long term play. Get back at me in a couple years looking at what TV deals they have then, then I can say if their play was worth it or not.
                      Exactly. It hasn't even been a year yet. These losses mean nothing.

The bigger problem is whether or not they are attracting advertisers and starting to see an uptick in revenue. We won't know that unless we see their books. If you see revenue growth over the next year or so the investors will keep funding it.

Comment

Working...
                      X