Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Waddell+Reed's PBC investment has lost 59% of it's value.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
    What emotions? My point's should be obvious - they haven't put together a consistently good product, the matchmaking has been bizarre/poor and they could have done a much better job. You could have been discussing this rather than nitpicking my posts.
    It's just shlt, everything about it is shlt. I hope Haymon crawls back under whatever rock he used to gestate under. He seems like the kind of crook that should have been in jail anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by ИATAS View Post
      What emotions? My point's should be obvious - they haven't put together a consistently good product, the matchmaking has been bizarre/poor and they could have done a much better job. You could have been discussing this rather than nitpicking my posts.
      I was

Plenty of good fights and matchups have been made in eight months.

Comment

• Originally posted by la_2_vegas View Post
        i figure they are doing a brand immersion sort of thing where you see pbc everywhere, you don't really know what it is, but intuitively know it's boxing. You spend a year familiarizing people with some of the bigger names and after a while newer fans can start to put the pieces together as to who should be fighting who. At that point, they need to add a face to the company.

in this meantime though, it has led to some head scratching matchmaking. I sort of expected them to have questionable matchamaking and didn't expect them to be tr in this dept so i give them room to maneuver.

my patience doesn't last forever though, i expect to see a face put on this thing and for actual promotion of real fights to commence. They need a guy to promote the fights

--------------

personally, i am enjoying the abundance of fights. There are a lot of new faces that have been brought to tv and i'm glad for that - i'm hoping it will give rise to the return of the tv friendly fighter (ie. Sammy vasquez, frampton, etc.) ultimately, i have faith in the fighters themselves, the guys who are hungry and want to make sacrifices to make the best of the opportunity given to them. The fighters are the reason i watch.

so far some under-the-radar guys i like to watch vasquez, tabiti, caleb plant

[the numbers aren't great, and the numbers for ggg weren't great, well see if that was indicitive of mismatches or if boxing as a whole needs to dig itself out of a ditch following may-pac.

Also, there is 10% of me that thinks it's all just a money laundering operation:]
        excellent post!

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          I was

Plenty of good fights and matchups have been made in eight months.
          Overall, if I was in a focus group I'd have generally positive attitude about it

there are different types of fans though. Some can't be bothered watching prospects, they want to know when the next big fight is, when is the best vs the coming on, champ vs champ they want those fights. They don't want to hear midway through the fight that the opponent was working as a chippendale earlier in the week. That's PAc=Duran, thats the type of fan he is nothing wrong with it. we're all fans just coming at it differently

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
            People are ******.... Way too soon to make any calls on success/failure of PBC

They spent a
            Ot of money upfront, locking down TV time over the next couple of years.. To put it in terms that the NSB poster can comprehend, it would be like paying for 4 years worth of rent at once.. Yes it's a lot of money but for the next 4 years you don't pay rent..

pbc has some problems, namely match making and not having their own belts and not becoming the bellator of boxing, but all those can be resolved...

Idiots on here with a high school diploma or less, or the college educated ******** won't understand the business side, but what is happening is common for every young business..

Amazon, Facebook, etc took years of losing money to hit big.. PBC is no different.. And live sports programming is the most lucrative TV venteure of the era.. Sports is the one thing people don't DVR and watch later,,, they watch live and sit thru the ever important commercials..

Pbc has made some mistakes along the way, no doubt.., they should have just used the money and bought 4 years worth of fights on espn2 every Saturday night and built and grew an audience just like bellator has.
            pbc biggest mistake was having random fights on random channels on random days.. They need to be like WWE and bellator and have one program on one channel, same night of the week, every week, and build your audience of that..
            Pbc should have debuted with four man tournaments to determine champs, just like most mma organizations do.. Had they given the fans a welter tourney with garcia-khan and thurman-Porter with winners fighting each other, pbc would be a much bigger deal, especially if they aligned with espn, much like how ufc is aligned with fox
            They'd be foolish not to pare the number of networks they currently have. I don't think they're throwing **** at a wall, they're locating their target market. They're hitting urban channels, music channels, and the big networks. They're targeting a specific demographic. Flooding the airwaves with product for market research.

Comment

• Da future doe.

Comment

• Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
                They'd be foolish not to pare the number of networks they currently have. I don't think they're throwing **** at a wall, they're
                locating their target market. They're hitting urban channels, music channels, and the big networks. They're targeting a specific demographic. Flooding the airwaves with product for market research.
                Will never work... They needed to lock down one channel and do a weekly program... Follow the blueprint of wwe or bellator

What they are trying to do, is give every channel a chance and hope one bites, but in reality, you can't build an audience when your on a random channel, at random times, on random days...

Pbc is on Saturday afternoons, Saturday nights, Friday nights, random weekday, all on different channels... Literally impossible to build an audience that way..
                Bellator and wwe have built big followings because they are on the same channel, same time, same day every week.. Pbc needs to do the same

Comment

• I don't think PBC is sustainable. Haymon spent too much money but is putting a terrible product out there and I doubt they make it back $300 mil over 5 years.

Everyone keeps bringing up how (it's early so most businesses lose money early one) but I doubt any one of those people actually think PBC makes their money back anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by LA_2_Vegas View Post
                    Overall, if I was in a focus group I'd have generally positive attitude about it

there are different types of fans though. Some can't be bothered watching prospects, they want to know when the next big fight is, when is the best vs the coming on, champ vs champ they want those fights. They don't want to hear midway through the fight that the opponent was working as a chippendale earlier in the week. That's PAc=Duran, thats the type of fan he is nothing wrong with it. we're all fans just coming at it differently
                    Me too. I actually have options. I'm like, "man, there are 3-4 fights this week. Ok I think I'll watch these two." Who needs reality TV? There's a series on made just for guys like me. Have I been disappointed a few times? Sure. But I've seen a lot of good stuff too. If you told me beforehand that they'd give me all of those fights Kev listed in their first six months of existence, I'd say you were delusional.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                      Will never work... They needed to lock down one channel and do a weekly program... Follow the blueprint of wwe or bellator

What they are trying to do, is give every channel a chance and hope one bites, but in reality, you can't build an audience when your on a random channel, at random times, on random days...

Pbc is on Saturday afternoons, Saturday nights, Friday nights, random weekday, all on different channels... Literally impossible to build an audience that way..
                      Bellator and wwe have built big followings because they are on the same channel, same time, same day every week.. Pbc needs to do the same
                      Possibly. I'm not sure. The devil is in the details but one thing that caught my eye in one press release was that he only signed one-year deals with certain networks. The smaller ones. He'd have a greater chance of getting one of those guys to latch on. You could be right but I suspect they're seeing who's watching.

Comment

Working...
                      X