Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why no outrage over GGG hitting David after the bell and down?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you're gonna take a knee you should defend yourself. The opponent doesn't know what you're doing, he's looking to punch you the face, he ain't always looking at your knee's, and he's not a mind reader, as much as he tries to be. Defend yourself at all times.
    Last edited by HardSpar; 10-25-2015, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
      Protect yourself at all times does not trump hitting a downed fighter. Talking a knee equals a kd. You can't hit a downed fighter and the downed fighter shouldn't feel the need to defend himself, sorry.
      If he was flat on his back, or on his knees for several seconds, before getting punched I would be inclined to agree with you. Practicality comes into play and it unreasonable to expect someone to immediately put a stop to their focus on landing a punch. That's why referees need to act fast, so that they can stand between fighters in such situations.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingIsGreat View Post
        I would say because he's the white hope and HBO's house fighter. That ref didn't wanna risk his career, although the fouls were clearly intentional. There should have been a DQ.
        He should have had points deducted. DQ is only if the other fighter can't continue or repeated offences imo.

Comment

Originally posted by HardSpar View Post
          If you're gonna take a knee you should defend yourself. The opponent doesn't know what you're doing, he's looking to punch you the face, he ain't always looking at your knee's, and he's not a mind reader, as much as he tries to be. Defend yourself at all times.
          Protect yourself at all times doesn't apply in this case. Taking a knee is a short surrender when obviously you CANNOT protect yourself. Punching someone while down or on a knee is a classic case where disqualification or two points deduction applies. The ref screwed here big time without any consequences, not even a warning.
          Last edited by BoxingIsGreat; 10-25-2015, 04:30 PM.

Comment

Watch it at normal speed it isn't a cheap shot, at slow motion it looks bad. Second of all he pulled the shot so he had no real power on it.
            Anyone whose fought would tell you that GGG was on attack and may not see Davids knee down over viewing his head lowered.
            If it was a meaningful punch David would have been hurt, he wasn't!!
            Stop crying about nothing this is boxing and stopping punches in mid air doesn't happen.

Let it go, the fights over and it was a clear cut defeat. That punch meant NOTHING to the outcome, grow up.
            Ray

Comment

Because it was a non issue.

It didnt have any impact on the outcome of the fight, and GGG obviously didnt do it intentionally. David took a knee because GGG was wrecking him, but he didnt go down immediately off any punch, there was a delay. GGG thought he was ducking down low, as David he been doing throughout the fight, and threw.

Props to David; he really did have that look for a few seconds, like "What do I do?" He knew if he fake it like Andre Dirrell did, he'd get the DQ win no question. But he didn't, he got his ass back up.

Also, props to the ref for handing the situation like a pro and not giving David a lot of time to think about it, forcing David to make a decision to flop or not pretty much immediately.

Comment

Roy Jones " if that was me I would have been disqualified "

Comment

Originally posted by FeFist View Post
                  If he was flat on his back, or on his knees for several seconds, before getting punched I would be inclined to agree with you. Practicality comes into play and it unreasonable to expect someone to immediately put a stop to their focus on landing a punch. That's why referees need to act fast, so that they can stand between fighters in such situations.
                  Several seconds?? There's no need for it to be several seconds. He took a knee and the bell rang. I don't think GGG should have been dq'd, but the ref should half taken a point or 2. Just in the interest of being fair.

Comment

Originally posted by HardSpar View Post
                    As I've stated before, Lemmuix did absolutely nothing wrong here. Taking a knee and not defending yourself does not in any way trump being hit while down or after the bell, ever.

Comment

People who say it didn't have any impact on the fight, how do you know that? The guy was suckerpunched twice, he might have lost his equilibrium somewhat from then on. We don't know what impact it might have had on the fight if it didn't happen or if the other guy was deducted two points.

Comment

Working...
                      X